No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of selling my condo and buying this house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry, folks, I don't want either place. I drove past them and could see from my car that they were way overpriced. The larger house is in such bad shape, it looks like it's going to fall down. The smaller one isn't worth the money.

Comment

The price is in the location. There are six-figure differences in houses of equal build quality where I used to live vs. where I live now. It all depends what you want and if the region will sustain a higher cost of living (greater paying jobs, etc).

Comment

Sheesh, high taxes? I wanna live where you guys do.

Originally posted by kenf View Post
        Heck , with $450,000 , I'd buy couple hundred acres in Missouri and a small ranch. Have plenty left over to rehab the house.
        $5 = Too high taxes?, Ranches?, Special services? A new home for $182?,
        I WANNA LIVE WHERE YOU GUYS LIVE
        Decent homes in my stupid area start at $7, and if you want higher end (ie, 4k sf) fugetaboutit. How's about 75-80degree year round, flat roads, etc?

Comment

Some better deals are out there.

http://www.ihomease.com/Listing_Slid...K=1842716&ub=1

Comment

pass on it....."probate court and third party" ? No thanks...

This somewhat better...now you gotta answer some questions.

How come the high falutin' prices for old houses?
            the high ass taxes...they kill me.
            No a/c???? you shittn me??
            Baseboard heat= mega high heating bill- this needs tending to!
            The level lot I like...but can we move to an area with this house at about $150,000 less? Why are you reluctant to do this? Work related?

The cul-de-sac location is groovy...If you buy these old timey homes, you'll need to throw down monster money to upgrade for a decent comfort zone.
            Price needs to factor this in..

A fenced in yard does wonder for privacy.

Keep looking, I think you will get a better house for a fairer price....good luck!

Comment

1959 ranch, you probably won;t be able to get in the bathroom, keep in mind that it may need some work to make it accessible.

Again, wondering why you are set on Fairfield County?
              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Have you tried looking at www.realtor.com ? I don't know anything about CT but I just searched for 20 miles surrounding Fairfield, single family, single story homes, hardwood floors, and with handicap features up to $450,000 and came up with a list of 15 houses. http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...pfbm=220000100 there seems to be a few nice looking homes there. --Lisa

Comment

Peter, first thing to look at if it's crawl space or slab is get a marble and drop it on the floor. Even if they put down new wood or ceramic it will crack if the floors aren't level. And many of them are not level. Not just the lot. Our house is 1972 and it has wider halls than the first house shown and they still get hit regularly. The only room I can't get in is the guest bath. The door is too narrow. We combined the master bath and a walk in closet to create a much better wheel-in shower area with a one sided closet for my every day clothes and a roll under sink seperates the two areas.
                  Friends and family near by out rank year round 80 degree weather and high taxes any day. Just make sure you can get around the place without banging into things. Defintely pay for a REAL home inspector who can tell you where the supporting beams are and what walls you can knock out if needed. Oh, and slabs also tend to rule out upgrading to ice maker fridges unless it's next to a sink and upgrading to gas unless you have a plumber in the family.
                  Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 7 Apr 2010, 8:43 PM.
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Isn't that kinda lot? I paid 98 for this in Upstate NY, with 3 acres.
                    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

Comment

Working...
                    X