No announcement yet.

Wheelchair accessible furniture?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see that this is an old post. However, we recently purchased a Lazy Boy "home theater" type set up. It's 2 recliners that fit together. One has an electric lever that allows you to recline by pushing this little lever. . The other seat is manual. The nice thing about these are that they fit together like a love seat and are perfect height for easy transfer. We got them in black leather AND they both have CUP HOLDLERS!!! :}

Comment

Hi I thought about this quite a few years and finally just had a total Makeover in my living room

I had a recliner up at my other office that I hardly used it ,I bought it ages ago because it was one of those kool brown tweed recliners I could power nap in while programming / doing office work

It was a kool piece of furniture I had many years and sat it aside never thinking it would help me until recently
      While I had a fireplace installed
      I asked my friends to take out my old living room bulky furniture and I had them bring in my nice ol Recliner place it next to my book case
      Being I like wicker furniture and had old wooden rocking chairs 2 of them
      I put one in the other end so my B/F can watch tele if he wants
      It's funny I usually like ploping my butt on the floor to watch good movies up close .

Every 4 years or so I change my styles of furniture it is a old habit of mine but I like it lmao

Now I have less furniture in my living room ....

The rebuilt homesteader wood fire place is great in the middle of these
      I like my simple country set up

Comment

outdoor and patio furniture

I live on the south coastal area of the USA. In my community as well as other communities near the coast, which are subject to hurricanes, we now have new regulations for sliding doors. These doors have large lips which make it basically impossible for wheelchair bound individuals to go outside to the typical patio or balcony.

It is important therefore to obtain or to have constructed special ramps to allow those with wheelchairs to access these areas.

It is also important to have heavy furniture in those areas. Cast aluminum furniture fills the bill.
        Last edited by hhiguy; 23 Oct 2011, 10:30 AM. Reason: spelling corrections

Comment

Originally posted by hhiguy View Post
          These doors have large lips which make it basically impossible for wheelchair bound individuals to go outside to the typical patio or balcony.

It is important therefore to obtain or to have constructed special ramps to allow those with wheelchairs to access these areas.
          Spammer, I suspect you are not "wheelchair bound" or you wouldn't put such a stupid post here.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by hhiguy View Post
            I live on the south coastal area of the USA. In my community as well as other communities near the coast, which are subject to hurricanes, we now have new regulations for sliding doors. These doors have large lips which make it basically impossible for wheelchair bound individuals to go outside to the typical patio or balcony.

It is also important to have heavy furniture in those areas. Cast aluminum furniture fills the bill.

You are correct..almost all hotel room on the coast have this "lip" which I can not get over alone..and we had to actually get a building code override in South FLorida to have a no step down concrete deck built to pool area..due to floods and water risks here..so basically..we put a drain in to keep water from coming in..all my out door furniture is aluminum as well..unfortunatly..not heavy enough and got blown around a few times ..so that was a mistake!
            "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

I have this really nice chair, a bit expensive tho, made by quickie, comes with wheels on it to easily move when re-arranging room layouts

Comment

Clever

Comment

We have these too...they're great, plus high enough that my husband can get in and out relatively easily. We go to Laz-e-boy when we are looking to buy and hunt around for the tallest chairs. They always seem to have something that is high up enough.

Another mod we have tried is building a box out of plywood that sits under the seat cushions. He uses that at his parents' house on their old, soft, low sofa and it works great (especially for the Thanksgiving post-turkey nap).

Originally posted by Mombo View Post
                  I see that this is an old post. However, we recently purchased a Lazy Boy "home theater" type set up. It's 2 recliners that fit together. One has an electric lever that allows you to recline by pushing this little lever. . The other seat is manual. The nice thing about these are that they fit together like a love seat and are perfect height for easy transfer. We got them in black leather AND they both have CUP HOLDLERS!!! :}
                  AB wife of T8 complete para

Comment

The couch I have is the Ektorp by Ikea. It is easy to get up from the floor to the couch and couch to wheelchair. It very comfortable to sit and sleep on. For the kitchen table, we measured my wheelchair to make sure that the wheelchair would fit underneath it. We bought it at Fry's supermarket. We also measured the bed from the height of the wheelchair and did not put a box spring underneath it. Instead, there are the bed frame, wood slots and then the mattress. All three are from Ikea as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X