Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rather than a cement walkway what are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by quadfather View Post
    I have exposed aggregate and highly recommend it. It wears like plain concrete but the texture adds traction without making pushing difficult. The texture also adds a depth and beauty that concrete can't match, IMO
    This is another great option. I have a freind just south of Pittsburgh that has the exposed agg on an entire patio. The color of the natural aggregate is fantastic in this area.

Comment

Not really House Beautiful but here is an option - A pickup load of 8"x16" concrete pavers @ 69 cents each @ Home Depot + two rolls of landscape fabric + pickup load of gravel + a couple bags o sand + 2 hungry, thirsty college students + a wee bit o beer = a reasonably chair, earth, wallet and pup friendly path.

Comment

Originally posted by webfoot View Post
        Not really House Beautiful but here is an option - A pickup load of 8"x16" concrete pavers @ 69 cents each @ Home Depot + two rolls of landscape fabric + pickup load of gravel + a couple bags o sand + 2 hungry, thirsty college students + a wee bit o beer = a reasonably chair, earth, wallet and pup friendly path.
        Good idea, looks like a very cost effective walkway. Looks like you were able to keep the cost of material and labor well under control.

I've got a couple estimate to do my paver walkway and they are talking around 3 grand. I'm waiting for a estimate in cement, the contractors around here dont even know what exposed aggregate is, lol.
        "Life is about how you
        respond to not only the
        challenges you're dealt but
        the challenges you seek...If
        you have no goals, no
        mountains to climb, your
        soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Just got the estimate today to do a cement walkway, they want 1600 dollars, I guess thats not too bad considering its like 71 feet long. They are going to put in 4 inches of sand first after it is dug out and then patch up the lawn around it.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
            Just got the estimate today to do a cement walkway, they want 1600 dollars, I guess thats not too bad considering its like 71 feet long. They are going to put in 4 inches of sand first after it is dug out and then patch up the lawn around it.

How wide is the walkway?
            My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Its 3 1/2 feet wide (42 inches) should be just right, my wheelchair is about 27 inches wide, so room to spare of around 7 inches on each side as I'm wheeling along the walkway. First thing I'm going to do though is get my septic system pumped out to make sure the underground cover is clear from where I'm planning on putting the walkway. I would not want to cement over the septic access. I've only had the septic pumped once in the ten years I've lived in my house which was about 5 years ago, so I figure to do it every five years is fine. I cant remember the exact location of the underground cover, the septic company has a drawing where its at.
              "Life is about how you
              respond to not only the
              you have no goals, no
              mountains to climb, your
              soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

FWIW - my experience is that a 60" walkway is worth the additional expense if you can swing it.
                Its 3 1/2 feet wide (42 inches) should be just right, my wheelchair is about 27 inches wide, so room to spare of around 7 inches on each side as I'm wheeling along the walkway. First thing I'm going to do though is get my septic system pumped out to make sure the underground cover is clear from where I'm planning on putting the walkway. I would not want to cement over the septic access. I've only had the septic pumped once in the ten years I've lived in my house which was about 5 years ago, so I figure to do it every five years is fine. I cant remember the exact location of the underground cover, the septic company has a drawing where its at.
                Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Isnt 4ft code
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com
                  c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                  sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Which code? There are many.
                    Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                    Isnt 4ft code
                    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Curt - Trust me on this...go with a 48" walkway. I would only recommend 36" in cases where space is limited. You'll be glad you did.

Comment

Hey Norm - have you thought about doing pavers? Rinox & EP Henry are local manufacturers close to us. Another plus is that there are lights that "replace" the pavers on the border - like a runway! and its low voltage which is cheap & easy
                        Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tuna View Post
                          Hey Norm - have you thought about doing pavers? Rinox & EP Henry are local manufacturers close to us. Another plus is that there are lights that "replace" the pavers on the border - like a runway! and its low voltage which is cheap & easy
                          At least according to the guy I got my quote from pavers were double the price of cement. $3200 vs $1600, they do look nicer though.
                          "Life is about how you
                          respond to not only the
                          you have no goals, no
                          mountains to climb, your
                          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

Originally posted by ChipS View Post
                            Curt - Trust me on this...go with a 48" walkway. I would only recommend 36" in cases where space is limited. You'll be glad you did.
                            I'm not sure if I have the space to make my walkway 4 feet wide, I'm coming really close to where the pumpout is on my septic tank, I dont want to cement over it, its underground, gotta figure out exactly where it is before I do the walkway job, going to get it pumped out this week, been five years.
                            "Life is about how you
                            respond to not only the
                            you have no goals, no
                            mountains to climb, your
                            soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

I understand what you mean there, just consider the fact that you will have control joints cut into the walk at internals, typically about 5 feet. Then, if you would need to gain access or excavate near the tank, the walk could be removed in sections according to those joints and you won't need to trash the whole thing.

Also, if you go with a stamped concrete, the patterns are irregular enough that you can pull the sides of the walk in when you need to without making it look odd.

But, if space is limited, ya gotta do what ya gotta do...

Get several estimates from guys that can show you thier work locally, and take pics of your walk when its done and let us all see!!!

Comment

I'm leaning toward cement. I was warned about the bricks becoming uneven. I'm thinking 3 ft wide.
                                "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Working...
                                X