Hot tubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot tubs

I just got in my new hot tub/bath tub and I feel like a new man. My family seems to think there could be some health risk.

The kind of hot tub that I'm referring to is the kind that is bigger then the standard bath tub with jets & heater, but not the full size hot tubs.

I read some benefits and they seem to outweight the health risk. Is there any risk I sould worry about having a T7 SCI beside getting in tub that is too hot?

Does anyone here have a hot tub for their bath tub? If yes, what's your opion?

To be safe I recommend always bathing with a companion.

Comment

I ended up getting AD I really, really enjoyed the jets, but even at a somewhat low temp... didn't work for me. But, hopefully, you will have better luck, esp. if you don't normally get it...I for some reason, can't STOP getting AD GRRRRrrrrrrr

I hope you enjoy your new tub and find it comforting, relaxing and therapeutic.

bbs

Comment

I do it all the time, for hours. Make sure you have padding under your bony spots. My butt and ankle bones are my biggies (I sit up and read in the tub). Pay attention, if you get to feeling yucky, get out. What does your family think will happen?
        Blog:
        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Keep the water temp below 104 degrees, most tubs have a max of 104 degrees, I generally go with 102 to be safe as 104 is sometimes a little uncomfortable. I've been using one for the past 15 years with no issues. Mine is a outdoor above ground multi-person type, I also have a indoor double. On the outdoor type where you leave the water in it, its important to keep enough sanatizer in it so as not to build up bacteria. I'm a t-4 complete and very prone to A/D, but have never got A/D in either of my hot tubs all these years, lucky I guess.
          "Life is about how you
          respond to not only the
          challenges you're dealt but
          the challenges you seek...If
          you have no goals, no
          mountains to climb, your
          soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Comment

are you talking jetted bathtub or hot tub? sounds like jetted bathtub.

Comment

This is the kind I have. http://www.absolutehome.com/web/cata...W.227:A:Nextag

It has air jets & hot water heater.

Can someone explain to me what is AD and what would be the symptoms if I had it?

My family was saying it could cause high blood pressure, but what I have read, it reduces high blood pressure. I did read it could cause high blood pressure when being in the hot tub with high water temp. My family does have a history of high blood pressure, I guess that's what they are worried about. I'm still working on putting bars in so getting in is easier, getting out is the easy part. The tub is just a little higher then my chair (2-4 inches). Any ideas on what bars to buy or any special devices that are out there?

Here is a picture of it when it was being installed
              Last edited by danielgr; 1 Sep 2008, 9:20 AM.

Comment

AD usually occurs in injuries above T6. usually bowel or bladder probs. you'll know if it occurs as your head will pound. i don't think a hot or jetted tub would bring it on unless you have foley which you blocked with a plug.

AD causes high bp, stroke and possible death. it is definitely NOT low bp.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice!!!

Comment

I bought my first ever hot tub yesterday and now I am concerned that maybe I made a bad decision. I would really appreciate any feedback about my purchase. We paid 10,995 for the tub with steps, cover and cover lift. One of the enticing things is that it is in stock and can be delivered in 2 weeks time. But after reading more I want to make sure that this a quality tub that should function well for us for years. Any Master Spa owners out there that can let us know your opinions, that would be so helpful.
                    Last edited by electrickvasya; 30 Nov 2021, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Hello everyone. How long have you had a hot tub? I keep wondering where to buy intex purespa in Canada? What should you pay attention to? I don`t know which model to choose, cause i never got a hot tub at home. Hot water, bubbles, and relaxation with my girlfriend, that is what I want. Thanks for your recommendations.
                      Last edited by electrickvasya; 1 Dec 2021, 4:42 AM.

Comment

Moving to appropriate forum.

Be very careful using a hot tub with a SCI/D. People with MS can develop a pseudoexacerbation if exposed to a hot bath, and those with SCI, especially above mid-thoracic, can quickly get overheated and weak as well. Be sure to use it with someone else with you who can help you get out if you should get weak like this. (KLD)
                        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
                        X