No announcement yet.

Wheelchairs on wood floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We tore out a good part of the carpeting in my house just about a year ago and replaced it with laminate wood flooring. What a difference! After 20 years, I couldn't believe the amount of dirt in and under the carpet. Add the dog pee, shit and puke, cat pee and puke and MY pee stains; Absolutely disgusting. The laminate is easy to maintain [no waxing necessary, just a damp mop] and, depending on what you buy, can come with very long warranties. It's, obviously, easy to roll around on and you don't have to worry about your tires trashing the carpeting. We bought a few area rugs to break-up the wood and to absorb sound.

r
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Comment

There's a product called Dri-Dek that's got both drainability, little micro nubbies for getting glop off your wheels/feet, and it can be graded on the edges with little finishing strips. It snaps together easily and comes in various colors and sizes (of squares). It makes a great front porch/ramp decking and saves my foyer. It's used in wet areas in bars/restaurants, commercial kitchens and hospitals, pools/spas, etc.

Comment

PS..Dri-Dek comes in rolls, too -- great for ramps, esp. roll it up and use it on those darned slimy wood ramps that some places have.

Comment

We also found hardwoods under the nasty carpet in the living room and hallway of our house-built in the 70's. The bedrooms and the room that is supposed to be a formal dining room had only sub floor. We put bamboo in the "formal dining room" and laminates in Ryan's old bedroom. The dining room is bigger and has doors to the kitchen and the living room. That is now Ryan's room. I LOVE the bamboo. He has even spilled grape juice and a damp mop took are of it. Nothing hurt is. The laminate in his old room is OK. We now use it as a therapy room, it has the therapy mat and his exercise gear. It has a few scratches and I believe that it would stain unlike the bamboo. The oak in the living room and hallway work fine-also have baseboard and door jam issues from the power chair but that is a driving issue. I do not plan to refinish them anytime soon though they could use it. If you are putting in flooring, I would go with the bamboo. It is less expensive than hardwoods, a little more than the laminate, durable, stain proof, and wears great.--eak
          Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
          mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
          Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

My floors need to be redone. I was 'imprisoned' in my motor chair while I had a VAC attached and, coming in from a snowstorm, the snow melted into the floor and lifted up the wooden tiles. So it's going to be revarnished, resealed, with ceramic tile laid down at the entrance and in the kitchen.

Does anyone have any experience with ceramic or stone flooring? I'm worried the weight of my chair will break the ceramic tiles.
            www.worldonwheels.ca

Comment

Originally posted by christopher View Post
              Does anyone have any experience with ceramic or stone flooring? I'm worried the weight of my chair will break the ceramic tiles.
              ceramic will withstand the weight without cracking as long the sub-floor is level. bad thing about going w/ceramic is cleaning the grout. i have light colored tiles and grout on my bathroom floors and have to scrub the grout with a toothbrush monthly.

Comment

Working...
              X