Furniture for Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Furniture for Home

What type of furniture is needed for a new T6 Complete when he returns home.

Right now his bedroom is completely empty so we can go with just about anything that would make him more independent.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Did you ask HIM??

Generally in a bedroom you will need bed. Most people with a paraplegic injury don't need a hospital bed, and a queen sized bed made it easier and safer to turn for dressing and other ADLs than a twin, but remember that you need to have enough room for the wheelchair. Some prefer to put one side of the bed against the wall to give them more room.

A reading light over the bed that can be easily turned on and off from the bed is a plus.

If there is still room, then a dresser or cabinet for clothing that can be reached while sitting in a wheelchair. A desk that is of the right height for a wheelchair is nice for writing or using a computer. You don't need a chair generally. If there is a closet, be sure that he can access all areas. You may need to remove doors and put in a curtain, or put in set-back hinges. You can put in a lower clothing pole in the closet for easier reach as well.

Why don't you ask him what he wants?? It is his room after all.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

In addition to the above, a bed side table or cabinet is nice. Same as any bedroom really. The only thing different in my room is a little more floor space, we removed some of the clutter stuff.

If it needs to be a twin bed for space reasons, you will probably want a rail.
      T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

yeah, just look for normal stuff. make sure beds/couches/etc aren't too high/low to transfer on/off of.

i disagree w/ getting a bed w/ a rail. i'm c6 & have never used one. again, keep things as normal as possible. it'll help him psychologically as well.

go take a day trip to an ikea store & let him try out a bunch of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor7172
          Assuming that this guy is otherwise healthy and normal, I can't think of any specific "type" of furniture he might need. Why would you think he needs specific stuff? I didn't even use a shower bench for the first 20 yrs, let alone some special bed or other furniture.

C.

Comment

Just make sure everything is pretty much wheelchair level. It's harder to transfer if the furniture is a lot higher or lower then the chair.

Comment

I agree that he needs nothing particularly special, but a lowered clothes rod in the closet is a must. One of the things I have noticed is that clothes hangers are more important than one would think. Get ones that have smooth sides going down towards the bottom instead of ones with little hooks or whatever for ties. With smooth sides I can just yank clothes off of hangars, the others are a pain in the butt.

Comment

Living room or family room furniture.

The one piece of furniture I have found necessary in the living or entertainment area of the home is something that I can lie down, change positions, or stretch-out in. I need this to be comfortable while doing things like listening to music, watching movies, or long conversations. Something like a daybed, chaise lounge, or recliner is helpful. It also really helps and feels good to get pressure off my butt and back.

Comment

A lock on the door. We lose enough privacy as it is.
                  Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I found a lap board very useful for carrying food drink and other items. I put this board on my chair at night and then use my chair as a night stand for my eye glasses and water for my morning pills.

Learned about this like most of us the hard way by the first time I tried to carry coffee. I put the cup between my legs for just 10 feet and when I got to bed that night I found I had burned my legs badly (still have the scars 13 years later).
                    T6 complete

Comment

One of those lamps with a "bendy" base so he can adjust the light ...... remote everything if possible - lights, fans T.V. etc. ...... one of those pocket thingees to hang on the side of the bed for everyday stuff ... like the remotes !

Obieone
                      ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
                      Jane Siberry

Comment

Taylor, just a FYI. It's always nice to have your profile filled out so everyone can see why you are here. I personal hate it when I click on a person's name and there is no info about themselfs. I like to know what level of injury, date injuried, how you found us, & date of birth. This is just my opion though....

You said something about you were getting info for someone else, your profile would tell us that and your relationship.

Thanks and welcome to CC!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor7172

Right now his bedroom is completely empty so we can go with just about anything that would make him more independent.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Hi,
                          I am a T5 complete. A little older I assume than your son. If he is strong and able to move around he will need less than I did at first. I set my bedroom up so I had a "super pole" which is really handy. Still use it but less than I did at first. I need a commode so I had to make sure I had room beside my night table to get to it and bring it up to the bed. I transfer on to the bed then move my wheelchair to the end of the bed - with a reacher (a must to have).

Take a look at http://www.cpa-odyssey.org/ house modifications then to my video and you will see a few things.

You can call me and I will give you more. I will send you a Private message with the number.

Geoffrey

Comment

A twin bed did not work for me, not enough room to roll over etc. I sleep on half of my full size and put most of my "stuff" on the other half. The dog takes up the lower fourth--LOL ! My night stand isn't big enough for all my "stuff" Anything with remotes is great. Ceiling fans, air conditioner tvs etc. A bedside lamp and phone are essential for me. I do have a lowered rod in the closet but really to just increase the capacity as I can reach the upper rod too. A grabber is a must, for any room. I had a water bed that I loved. It took a while for me to learn how to get out of it, but I did (T-7) Later, I kept the frame but put a regular mattress in it. The support of the frame was good , easy and secure. I use a triangle bar over head and have for 16 years. Some here will not advise that, but I have had no problems with my shoulders from it and live alone with no assistance. Except for the the bar I don't think my bedroom is any different from most.

Comment

Working...
                            X