This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beachlover
    I sent a message to Coburn office and also to Sen Boxer & Feinsteins office (my CA senators) asking for help.
    I sent a message to Coburn's office and also to Sen. Burr (NC) asking him to put pressure on Coburn. Also sent message to Sen. Dole's office and left a message on their voicemail box.
    Daniel

Comment

Response from Coburn

Heard back from Coburn's office. Long story short, after much wrangling and several instances of me saying "Seriously? How ingenuous is THAT?"....because the CDRPA is from long ago, it is one of the only specific-disease-related bills Dr. Coburn is willing to let slide through, IF Sen. Harkin is willing to find a budget offset for it.

(All together now: Really? How ingenuous is THAT?)

That, my friends, is a mighty big if. Courtney, seated at the right hand of Go...er I mean Dr. Coburn, says that Harkin's office has refused to this point.

Who has contacts in Sen. Harkin's office?

Honestly, I have a feeling we're making a dent. She has never returned my call before. We're all over congress.org. Don't give up!
      Blog:
      Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

If you live in the United States of America and are SCI, or care in the least for someone affected by paralysis - for GOODNESS SAKE, PLEASE CALL OR WRITE YOUR SENATORS in support of S.1183, the Dana & Christopher Reeve Paralysis Act. Please don't sit on the sideline waiting for someone else to do your work. They can't without your help! YOU can make a big difference by this small act of advocacy. Alternatively, you can quietly sit on your ass while SCI needs are ignored by your government. It's time to be counted. Speak up, Speak Out. Do it NOW!
        Last edited by Foolish Old; 18 Dec 2007, 6:09 PM.
        Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

I called Harkin's office and left Coburn's message with them.
          ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Comment

Sorry guys that I'm so late to the party, I've been holed up with a UTI and pressure sore.... new Minority Whip, John Kyl is the Jr. Senator from AZ. I've called his office for help and called. McCain. Hope no one is holding their breath as neither of my senators have signed on as co-sponsors. BUt, we have to keep trying eh?
            My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

[QUOTE=betheny]
              That, my friends, is a mighty big if. Courtney, seated at the right hand of Go...er I mean Dr. Coburn, says that Harkin's office has refused to this point.

QUOTE]

Yep Betheny, unfortunately there are physicians out there who believe that M.D. is an abbreviation for Minor Deity.

Comment

Originally posted by IMHopeful
                Keep the letters coming! Check it out, our message is out there for everyone to see. Let's try to get a letter from every state. Copy and paste it to his Health Aide too.

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/...rslist/?id=483
                thx 4 the link--- (i got confused with the forms too...)
                To: Sen. Tom Coburn

What can I write to you that will make you understand of the importance this bill for vetrans, children or your neighbor living with paralysis? As a leader, when a city, road, or bridge in your state is disabled or paralyzed you would take steps to remedy the situation and find the means to do so. Why would you oppose a bill helping those 'humans' paralyzed in the nation? I ask you as an American to put aside your prejudices and release the hold on 'The Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act".
                Sincerely,
                A Paralyzed American Paralyzed by your 'hold'

Comment

Here is the current list of cosponsors on the Senate side -

11 states have both Senators cosponsoring the bill.
                  They are CA, IL, MA, MD, MN, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI and VT

As of Dec. 17, MN has support from both Senators!

10 states have a single cosponsor

• CA – Barbara Boxer - Dianne Feinstein
                  • CT – Chris Dodd
                  • HI – Daniel Inouye
                  • IL – Dick Durbin - Barack Obama
                  • IA – Tom Harkin
                  • MI – Carl Levin
                  • MN – Norm Coleman - Amy Klobuchar
                  • MD – Barbara Mikulski – Benjamin Cardin
                  • MA – John Kerry - Edward Kennedy
                  • NJ – Frank Lautenberg - Robert Menendez
                  • NM – Jeff Bingaman
                  • NY – Hillary Clinton - Charles Shumer
                  • NC – Richard Burr
                  • OH – Sherrod Brown - George Voinovich
                  • OR – Gordon Smith
                  • PA – Robert Casey - Arlen Specter
                  • RI – Jack Reed - Sheldon Whitehouse
                  • SC – Lindsey Graham
                  • SD – Tim Johnson
                  • VT – Bernard Sanders - Patrick Leahy
                  • WA – Patty Murray

29 states still have no cosponsors at all!
                  "Our lives begin to end the day
                  we become silent about things that matter."
                  - Martin Luther King Jr

Comment

Originally posted by Chaz19
                    thx 4 the link--- (i got confused with the forms too...)
                    To: Sen. Tom Coburn

What can I write to you that will make you understand of the importance this bill for vetrans, children or your neighbor living with paralysis? As a leader, when a city, road, or bridge in your state is disabled or paralyzed you would take steps to remedy the situation and find the means to do so. Why would you oppose a bill helping those 'humans' paralyzed in the nation? I ask you as an American to put aside your prejudices and release the hold on 'The Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act".
                    Sincerely,
                    A Paralyzed American Paralyzed by your 'hold'
                    Chaz--excellent argument. Particularly applicable given the attention to the I35W bridge collapse here in Minneapolis. That tragedy happened August 1st and the footings for the new bridge have begun being poured this week on the south side, a mere 4 1/2 months later.
                    Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

Got an email yesterday from Amy Kloubchar (MN) and she stated that the vote for CDRPA was placed on the calendar Aug. 3rd. Why so long for a vote? Is it still on the calendar? How do I find out? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by momo3
                        Got an email yesterday from Amy Kloubchar (MN) and she stated that the vote for CDRPA was placed on the calendar Aug. 3rd. Why so long for a vote? Is it still on the calendar? How do I find out? Thanks.
                        Kathy--yes, it was moved out of committee and placed on the senate calendar on 8/03/07. Essentially, placed in a queue with lots of other bills waiting for consideration (a vote) by the full senate. Senator Tom Coburn (R) OK has placed a "hold" on the CDRPA meaning he is blocking it from coming to the floor of the senate for a vote. The Senate Majority Leader, Senator Harry Reid, can choose to send it to the senate floor anyway, regardless of the hold. Therefore, right now, we have these options open--and we can act on all of them:

*write/call Sen. Coburn's office asking him to lift the hold
                        *write/call Sen. Reid's office asking him to send the bill to the senate floor regardless of the hold
                        *write/call our state senators and ask them to cosponsor the bill if they haven't already (thank them if they have--both MN senators are co-sponsors).
                        *submit a message to www.congress.org under "Letters to Leaders" regarding the CDRPA and how important it is and asking Sen. Coburn to lift the hold.
                        *call/write your national/state/local media outlet and submit a story idea on the CDRPA and the importance of passage and how the Senator from Oklahoma has put a hold on the bill.

And--how about Bostondad's national call in day?

Comment

Are we going to do a national call in day, Sue?
                          Daniel

Comment

Originally posted by dan_nc
                            Are we going to do a national call in day, Sue?
                            Dan--Bostondad was trying to organize one recently in this thread. Please look back about half a dozen pages.

Comment

Thanks Sue. See it now. When do we start calling!

Originally posted by bostondad
                              Time to dust off the phones and vent some of that pent up anger and frustration in the right direction. (Boy, am I pissed)

Senator Coburn is holding up not just a “bill” but a bill that represents an “emancipation proclamation”.

A bill that says to the spinal cord community we recognize you and want to help you out of those chairs.

This is not just some bill for a pet highway project or a bridge to nowhere, this is a bill about the hopes and dreams of real people struggling to stay healthy and to one day to heal and be set free of the confinements of paralysis.

It is a bill that may one day relieve the heartache and pain that parents, families and friends feel for their injured loved ones.

Holding this bill is mean spirited and I feel is has nothing to do with duplicate spending. Dr. Coburn should ask himself, “What would Jesus do?” Would Jesus look into wallet and say, “Come on man, I gave at the office!” I DON’T THINK SO! Did not Jesus “cure” a paralyzed man?
                              So Dr. Coburn what WWJD?

What is Senator Coburn’s true reason for holding this bill? If we could figure that out we have chance of having him release it….maybe. If, in some petty way, it is because it has Christopher and Dana Reeves’ names attached to it there is not much that we can do about that.

If it is about the funding of research we certainly can make an argument about thAT, as research funding has been cut versus the long term costs of care and the significant savings that can be had with a cure.

We need to send a strong unified message to the Senator that this bill needs to be released, a message that he will listen to. Also, a message that he can not spin out of.

Thoughts on a refined message? And what day we should do this?

And Sue, right on , sometimes you gotta do just what you gotta do.
                              Daniel

Comment

hi dan,

i listened to cspan until they ended last night and no action on cdrpa

sen. reid read off the future session days but to fast for me to catch. for some reason i thought they were ending but we do have more time

sue's contact points are right.......plus if we can get more folks from oklahoma, cousins, uncles and who ever to call him

more later
                                http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

Working...
                                X