Clear All

Yeah! About damn time!
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

On To The Senate
      Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

From the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation

The House of Representatives has just passed H.R. 1727, the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act.” The landmark legislation encourages coordination of research to prevent redundancies and hasten discovery of better treatments and cures, as well as to improve the daily lives for those living with paralysis.

Comment

Long time coming, halfway there! (Assuming W won't waste a veto on us.)
          Blog:
          Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
            Long time coming, halfway there! (Assuming W won't waste a veto on us.)
            Oh no way could he do that after the fallout from the SCHIP veto, if it passes the Senate. Let's hope anyway.
            Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Comment

Great news.Hope it goes throught smoothly.
              Be yourself!!!
              http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
              BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
              Sponsored Athlete
              http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
              www.genegvd.com

Comment

They've got me so jaded by now I'm afraid to get excited. That is so sad.
                Blog:
                Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Statement from Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation

Maggie Goldberg
                  CDRF
                  (973) 379-2690
                  media@ChristopherReeve.org

CHRISTOPHER AND DANA REEVE FOUNDATION LAUDS U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES PASSAGE OF THE CHRISTOPHER AND DANA REEVE PARALYSIS ACT

Congress Moves a Step Closer to Having Collaborative Research, Rehabilitation and Quality of Life Legislation Signed into Law

SHORT HILLS, N.J. – October 15, 2007 – The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation (CDRF), the national, non-profit organization dedicated to finding cures and treatments for spinal cord injuries and improving the lives of people living with paralysis, applauds the U.S. House of Representatives for passing H.R. 1727, the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act (CDRPA). The bill, which enjoys strong bi-partisan support, was named for the late actor Christopher Reeve and his wife Dana, whose courage and grace in the face of adversity were an example to millions around the world.

The landmark legislation encourages coordination of research to prevent redundancies and hasten discovery of better treatments and cures, as well as to improve the daily lives for those living with paralysis. It also permits funding for federal programs which seek to improve the daily lives for those living with paralysis. The Act has three components that support and enhance paralysis research, rehabilitation, and quality of life programs:

• Paralysis Research - Expands research on paralysis at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This will encourage collaborative research by connecting scientists conducting similar work to further enhance understanding and speed discovery of better treatments and cures.

• Paralysis Rehabilitation and Care - Builds on research to enhance daily function for people with paralysis including a Clinical Trials Network to measure effectiveness of certain rehabilitation tactics and encouraging shared findings on paralysis to improve rehabilitation.

• Improving Quality of Life for Persons with Paralysis and Other Physical Disabilities - Works with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to improve the quality of life and long-term health status of persons with paralysis and other physical disabilities.

“Passage of this legislation today is extremely gratifying,” said Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin (D-WI). “We honor the activism of Christopher and Dana Reeve with this bipartisan effort to better treat and, we hope, cure paralysis and other serious motor impairments. Chris and Dana used their visibility to work on behalf of families in all parts of the country who face the challenges of paralysis and impaired mobility. This legislation, passing just days after the third anniversary of Christopher Reeve’s death, is part of their legacy,” Baldwin said.

Peter Wilderotter, president of the Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation praised the House and its leadership for quickly passing this historic Act. He also thanked Representatives Tammy Baldwin, Mary Bono (R-CA), James Langevin (D-RI) and Gus Bilirakis (R-FL) for sponsoring and spearheading this legislation in Christopher and Dana Reeve’s names. “Improvements are made every day in spinal cord injury research, but the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act will help to quickly and efficiently stimulate even more progress,” added Wilderotter.

The Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act will improve the quality of life for people living with paralysis and mobility impairments from any cause – stroke, ALS, spinal cord injuries, and others. A similar bill, S. 1183, was approved by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee and is awaiting action by the full Senate.

About CDRF
                  The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation is dedicated to curing spinal cord injury by funding innovative research, and improving the quality of life for people living with paralysis through grants, information and advocacy. For more information, please visit our website at www.ChristopherReeve.org or call 800-225-0292.

###

Comment

so cool
                    http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

Questions

Hi!
                      I stumbled upon this site and decided to join. Please excuse my ignorance, but I saw Tammy Baldwins name on this list, and I am wondering what exactly it is for. My son is a 12 year old T12 SCI patient due to a MVA last year. It is a whole new world, and very lonely for both of us at times, so I am searching for help, fellowship, and support. Would soemone call or email me? karmitage37@yahoo.com

Comment

Originally posted by karmitage37
                        Hi!
                        I stumbled upon this site and decided to join. Please excuse my ignorance, but I saw Tammy Baldwins name on this list, and I am wondering what exactly it is for. My son is a 12 year old T12 SCI patient due to a MVA last year. It is a whole new world, and very lonely for both of us at times, so I am searching for help, fellowship, and support. Would soemone call or email me? karmitage37@yahoo.com
                        Tammy Baldwin is the sponsor of the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act, legislation that would expand paralysis research and establish programs for improving rehabilitation, care and quality of life for people wiht SCI. If she's your representative you are fortunate to be represented by someone who has been a leader in efforts to help your son.

I know the feelings of loneliness and despair you feel at times. I had many days like that in the weeks and months after my mothers accident. I would venture to say everyone on this board has. I can tell you that it gets easier and it won't always be this way. This board is a good place for advice, support and fellowship.

Comment

Here is a short video with images and voiceovers about last spring's Rally and the status of the CDRPA. My thanks to Rusty for the title. Individuals who wish to contact their Senators or legislative Health aides may find this a useful link to include in an email.

Broken Bodies, Soaring Spirits

John
                          "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Comment

Pass this video along to the Senate!

Great video John! You clearly expressed the hope of this community and the need for the passage of the CDRPA.

Anyone interested in recovery and residing in states that have either one Senator or none, cosponsoring this bill, you need to take the time and share this with them. This bill will come up for a vote after Thanksgiving. If it doesn’t pass, it’s not only due to the lack of support by legislators, it’s also due to the lack of support by the community it hoped to help.

Many have worked for five years to see this passed. I’ve 'only' been at it for two and starting all over again to rally support for this bill isn’t an option. We are closer than we have ever been and with your help, we can get this passed.

There are a handful of people that work extremely hard to advance research and it clearly isn’t enough. With more support this bill would have already passed. With more support, the research bill in NJ would have passed. Research has never been more promising and in order for it to go forward, everyone needs to support it. The key word here is EVERYONE!

If you don’t want to write your own letter, you can send the attached letter which is appropriate for Thanksgiving and attach John’s video. All the tools are here for you to use. Please take the time to support this bill. Research lags because of the lack of support.

Are you part of the solution, or part of the problem?

Here is the current list of cosponsors on the Senate side -

10 states have both Senators cosponsoring the bill.
                            They are CA, IL, MA, MD, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI and VT
                            Clearly the East Coast Rocks!

As of Nov. 13, MD has support from both Senators!

11 states have a single cosponsor

• CA – Barbara Boxer - Dianne Feinstein
                            • CT – Chris Dodd
                            • HI – Daniel Inouye
                            • IL – Dick Durbin - Barack Obama
                            • IA – Tom Harkin
                            • MI – Carl Levin
                            • MN – Norm Coleman
                            • MD – Barbara Mikulski – Benjamin Cardin
                            • MA – John Kerry - Edward Kennedy
                            • NJ – Frank Lautenberg - Robert Menendez
                            • NM – Jeff Bingaman
                            • NY – Hillary Clinton - Charles Shumer
                            • NC – Richard Burr
                            • OH – Sherrod Brown - George Voinovich
                            • OR – Gordon Smith
                            • PA – Robert Casey - Arlen Specter
                            • RI – Jack Reed - Sheldon Whitehouse
                            • SC – Lindsey Graham
                            • SD – Tim Johnson
                            • VT – Bernard Sanders - Patrick Leahy
                            • WA – Patty Murray

29 states have no cosponsors at all!
                            "Our lives begin to end the day
                            we become silent about things that matter."
                            - Martin Luther King Jr

Comment

Thanks for the update

I am pleased to see that Ben Cardin finally signed on but disappointed it took so much work and effort. He has always been a supporter of the SCI/paralysis community. Anyone know why it took so long? Was it oversite or did he need reassurance in a particular area? Sue, Josh, any insight would be helpful. This has colored how I intend to vote next time around.

Comment

Wrong Sue, Cheesecake, I know, but, I'll add my $.02, anyway. I think it really is mostly about getting the needed attention. Here in Minnesota, I have been pestering Sen. Amy Klobuchar to sign on for months. Her aid keeps telling me he will discuss it with her, but, it keeps getting prioritized to the bottom of the list. He is certain she will support it. It would be a great thing to get her on board to demonstrate the true bipartisan nature of this bill. She is a Democrat and her counterpart from the state of MN, Sen. Norm Coleman, is a Republican and lead co-sponsor of the CDRPA.
                                Please submit your photo and story of hope:

http://bridges2hope.unite2fightparalysis.org/

http://unite2fightparalysis.org/

Comment

Working...
                                X