Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks momo! I hope others will follow your lead and put their unused cell phone minutes to work. This is critically important for paralysis research. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, BUT if the choir doesn't pick up their phones and start singing, they won't be heard. We need everyone to participate in this effort. We need hundreds of calls to Capitol Hill.

It all goes back to ......

Are you part of the solution OR part of the problem?
    "Our lives begin to end the day
    we become silent about things that matter."
    - Martin Luther King Jr

Comment

CDRPA Update
      The vote for S. 22 has been delayed, probably until the week of Feb 20th.

It’s not all bad. Next week Representatives will be home for district work period and President’s Day. This delay provides us with an opportunity to visit them in our home town. Please try to schedule an appointment to see them or at the very least, call them while they are in their local offices.

If you didn’t have time to call them before, this would be the perfect time to do so. This vote is the final hurdle to getting this passed.

When an update is received on the vote, I’ll be sure to post it.

- Martin Luther King Jr

Comment

How many times has it been through congress now?
        Last edited by aton; 12 Feb 2009, 3:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aton View Post
          As I understand it, Obama is looking to change the stem cell funding in a few weeks also. It would be nice to see the two things happen around the same time. Imagine how that's going feel.
          I'm thinkin' just like your avatar.
          Does my butt make this diaper look big?

Comment

Originally posted by IMHopeful View Post
            CDRPA Update
            The vote for S. 22 has been delayed, probably until the week of Feb 20th.

When an update is received on the vote, I’ll be sure to post it.
            Thanks!

Comment

Any updates as this is the week of the 20th? It sounds like there was a nice amount for the NIH in the stimulus package. Topperf posted about it in the cure forum.

Comment

hey momo,

just did a quick search s.22

says held at desk

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/thomas

it looks like a last minute thing got tagged to it

H.R.608

but no inside news here

cubsfan?
                http://justadollarplease.org/

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member

"You kids and your cures, why back when I was injured they gave us a wheelchair and that's the way it was and we liked it!" Grumpy Old Man

.."i used to be able to goof around so much because i knew Superman had my back. now all i've got is his example -- and that's gonna have to be enough."

Comment

Originally posted by Leo View Post
                  hey momo,

just did a quick search s.22

says held at desk

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/thomas

it looks like a last minute thing got tagged to it

H.R.608

but no inside news here

cubsfan?
                  link not working.
                  "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Latest is that the vote has been postponed again - it won't be next week.

The committee scheduling it has run into complications. I'll post more information as it becomes available.
                    - Martin Luther King Jr

Comment

When will this ever get done, Gosh!
                      "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Comment

Here, here Norm. It is getting to the point of extremely frustrating. Thanks for the updates and I will keep checking back.

Comment

Call your Representative tomorrow!

S.22 which includes the CDRPA will come up for a vote tomorrow. If it passes, the CDRPA will finally go to the President for a signature. This would be the very last step for the CDRPA becoming law. Please call or write your Rep and ask them to support passage of the CDRPA and vote YES on the Omnibus Public Land Management Act, S.22 tomorrow morning.

I know a number of people are thinking, here we go again. Please keep in mind this bill is still alive, because a number of legislators believe in the promise of paralysis research and have committed themselves to supporting it. This is a direct result of the efforts of this community.

We have legislators going the extra mile to push this through and it's our job to support them. This is a remarkable time for paralysis research and it's critical that we capitalize on every opportunity to advance it. This bill is one of those opportunities.

The bill might not pass tomorrow, but we will call and our Representatives will know there is still a community out there advocating for this bill. This bill will eventually pass. It is our job to keep it alive until it finally does. Please don't give up on it.

We especially need to reach out to Republican Representatives.
                          - Martin Luther King Jr

Comment

Originally posted by IMHopeful View Post
                            S.22 which includes the CDRPA will come up for a vote tomorrow. If it passes, the CDRPA will finally go to the President for a signature. This would be the very last step for the CDRPA becoming law. Please call or write your Rep and ask them to support passage of the CDRPA and vote YES on the Omnibus Public Land Management Act, S.22 tomorrow morning.

I know a number of people are thinking, here we go again. Please keep in mind this bill is still alive, because a number of legislators believe in the promise of paralysis research and have committed themselves to supporting it. This is a direct result of the efforts of this community.

We have legislators going the extra mile to push this through and it's our job to support them. This is a remarkable time for paralysis research and it's critical that we capitalize on every opportunity to advance it. This bill is one of those opportunities.

The bill might not pass tomorrow, but we will call and our Representatives will know there is still a community out there advocating for this bill. This bill will eventually pass. It is our job to keep it alive until it finally does. Please don't give up on it.

We especially need to reach out to Republican Representatives.
                            I hate to do this, but I feel compelled to let everyone here know that the expectation is that S 22 won't pass tomorrow. It is being considered under a process known as "suspension of the rules" which means no amendments are allowed, but also means that it needs a 2/3 vote to pass -- 289 of the 434 members of the House. We expect that most Republicans and a few Democrats will vote against it because of an issue related to guns in national parks (don't ask) and other objections to the public lands legislation that make up the bulk of the bill. So the bill will get a majority, but probably less than the 289 votes it needs under this special process.

however, even if the bill falls short, as expected, the vote will be real progress toward finally getting this done. For a lot of complicated reasons that have nothing to do with CDRPA, the House of Representatives needs to go through the process of trying to pass the Senate bill without amendments before the Senate will agree to consider any changes. If the House considers the Senate bill unamended and cannot get the 2/3 vote necessary, the Senate will agree to a process in which the House considers the bill under regular order, passes an amendment dealing with the gun issue and the Senate takes up the bill with the House amendment.

If that doesn't work out, the House Energy and Commerce committee has already begun work on a packge of public health bills, which would include CDRPA if it hasn't already passed. That package will have some controversy of its own (one of the parts will regulate tobacco), but at least CDRPA will be part of health legislation with a lot of other advocates and won't be held hostage to an unrelated gun issue on unrelated legislation.

Having said all that, I completely agree with IMHopeful -- everyone should call their Representative tomorrow, and keep the pressure up if it doesn't pass tomorrow because we will get it done. the path isn't entirely clear, but the finish line is in sight.

I hope that isn't too complicated -- I have worked on Capitol Hill for 16 years and it is one of the more complicated situations I have seen.

Comment

Thanks Cubs for all the work and also your honesty. It is important that we know because the CDRPF has been played like a football for nearly 6 years. I am glad that you warned us because it helps allay the frustration and pain when the bad news comes.

Likewise, thanks to I'm Hopeful for posting about the vote. Most of the representatives will do the right thing, maybe not 2/3 but at least half.

Wise.

Comment

Originally posted by cubsfandc View Post
                                I hate to do this, but I feel compelled to let everyone here know that the expectation is that S 22 won't pass tomorrow. It is being considered under a process known as "suspension of the rules" which means no amendments are allowed, but also means that it needs a 2/3 vote to pass -- 289 of the 434 members of the House. We expect that most Republicans and a few Democrats will vote against it because of an issue related to guns in national parks (don't ask) and other objections to the public lands legislation that make up the bulk of the bill. So the bill will get a majority, but probably less than the 289 votes it needs under this special process.

however, even if the bill falls short, as expected, the vote will be real progress toward finally getting this done. For a lot of complicated reasons that have nothing to do with CDRPA, the House of Representatives needs to go through the process of trying to pass the Senate bill without amendments before the Senate will agree to consider any changes. If the House considers the Senate bill unamended and cannot get the 2/3 vote necessary, the Senate will agree to a process in which the House considers the bill under regular order, passes an amendment dealing with the gun issue and the Senate takes up the bill with the House amendment.

If that doesn't work out, the House Energy and Commerce committee has already begun work on a packge of public health bills, which would include CDRPA if it hasn't already passed. That package will have some controversy of its own (one of the parts will regulate tobacco), but at least CDRPA will be part of health legislation with a lot of other advocates and won't be held hostage to an unrelated gun issue on unrelated legislation.

Having said all that, I completely agree with IMHopeful -- everyone should call their Representative tomorrow, and keep the pressure up if it doesn't pass tomorrow because we will get it done. the path isn't entirely clear, but the finish line is in sight.

I hope that isn't too complicated -- I have worked on Capitol Hill for 16 years and it is one of the more complicated situations I have seen.
                                cubsfandc,

Thank you very much for the clear explaination.

Paolo
                                In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Comment

Working...
                                X