DOJ sues UBER over "wait time" charges that may impact disabled drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOJ sues UBER over "wait time" charges that may impact disabled drivers

Attached is a link to a story in the San Francisco Chronicle detailing some of the issues with the Justice Dept. complaint against Uber. I would be curious to hear feedback from this community. I am a t-10 para and frequent business traveler. My experience with Uber has been fabulous and I have never had any issues and always found the drives to be 100% accommodating. On the other hand, prior to Uber I have had a couple of really bad experiences with traditional taxi services.

Do others have any experiences - - good or bad?

Do others have thoughts about the DOJ lawsuit? I would think Uber will argue the "wait time" fee are for situations where customers are taking an unusually long time and is not intended to impact disabled customers. Would love to hear from others on this issue as well.

Uber charges passengers wait-time fees if the driver has to wait more than two minutes to...

I don't mind paying for service! So much nicer than not getting any.
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

I couldn’t get in to the link posted without subscription. I’m aware there is a suit pending from other articles. I think the DOJ has filed because there has been a pattern of charging fees for “over 2 minutes” to only people with disabilities.
      Uber is currently valued at about $84 billion dollars. It will be interesting to see where the suit goes. If better and increased. transportation options come about as a result of the suit I’m ok with it.
      Most disability Civil rights have come about by means of hard fought advocacy, buses, the Air Carriers Access Act, Inclusion in the Fair Housing Act, etc.

I have no problem with a suit going forward to see if there is a “pattern of discrimination “ and if an $84 billion dollar company can improve their services for people with disabilities.

I don’t follow all of this too closely but Uber has had its share of labor problems also but that’s another issue. I’d like to see improved conditions for all workers and PWDs.

Comment

My concern would be that the drivers would discriminate if there were not compensation for their extra (wasted) time.
        I don't mind paying for stuff I'm responsible for. If paying a little more puts me on a level field, I'm happy to pay.
        Waiting, and waiting, and...for a taxi willing to stop for me is beyond frustrating!!
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Originally posted by pfcs49 View Post
          My concern would be that the drivers would discriminate if there were not compensation for their extra (wasted) time.
          I don't mind paying for stuff I'm responsible for. If paying a little more puts me on a level field, I'm happy to pay.
          Waiting, and waiting, and...for a taxi willing to stop for me is beyond frustrating!!
          I agree. I recently had an occasion to use an accessible taxi and it was a great experience. I was with my significant other and it was easier than breaking down the chair in the car. I gave a decent tip on arrival and the driver ( great guy) was back in a flash when it was time to go. ( Tipped him then too and he gave me his card and said call him instead of dispatch.)

It is hard to get the DOJ to take on an ADA case. I want to read more about this case but I am wondering if the "pattern of discrimination" under Title III, Public Accommodations is because it targets persons with disabilities specifically .... extra cost for any time over 2 minutes. It seems such a policy should apply to all riders.

Comment

Working...
          X