Donating to disability orgs right now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donating to disability orgs right now

What are some good disability-focused places to donate to during this crisis? Local independent living centers? I'm donating to food programs right now but that's it. As usual, we'll be among the first to be forgotten and left behind.

Originally posted by Iolas View Post
    What are some good disability-focused places to donate to during this crisis? Local independent living centers? I'm donating to food programs right now but that's it. As usual, we'll be among the first to be forgotten and left behind.
    Thank you for bringing this up. As a paralyzed person, maybe like many others, it's difficult or impossible to extend physical help to others, but donations are possible. I have sent recent donations to a local food pantry, and a CIL run by a friend. If I receive a check from the government, like they are planning, I would like to donate again. I can't answer your question but "Meals on Wheels" comes to mind and I don't even know if communities are still delivering meals to the elderly (and probably disabled) homebound persons. There is at least one very poor community in my county, so I may use the Internet to see if any organizations are still active for outreach to residents.
    Hope others here have suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by triumph View Post

-- I can't answer your question but "Meals on Wheels" comes to mind and I don't even know if communities are still delivering meals to the elderly (and probably disabled) homebound persons. There is at least one very poor community in my county, so I may use the Internet to see if any organizations are still active for outreach to residents.
      Hope others here have suggestions.
      Our local Meals on Wheels program is considered an essential service and is working harder than ever, even with it's major source of funding shut down. They even offer drive-up pick up for those who had been eating in the cafeteria at the senior center.

Demand is heavy.

Comment

I've also donated... wait for it...

Girl Scout cookies!

Cuz who doesn't love cookies? Especially GS ones!

You can do so at their website. Enter your zip at the bottom of the page to donate thru your local chapter. My chapter donates the cookies "to those on the frontlines of the COVID-19 crisis and those most affected," like hospitals. Naturally I couldn't resist getting some for myself too...

Comment

Working...
        X