Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wings for Life - Supported research

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wings for Life - Supported research

    What do you think of the research supported by Wings for Life, see here: http://www.wingsforlife.com/en/research/

    They are by far the spinal cord injury research foundation that get the most attention, and also handle quite some money.

    Personally they don't support my favourite projects. What do you think?
    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

    #2
    From the map they have, it appears they are funding 137 projects, broken up into 7 different categories...
    Why are none of them "your favorite"? What aren't they funding that you wish they would?

    Comment


      #3
      I think they do great job and each organization supports different projects which I think is very good by attacking from many different angles.

      Comment


        #4
        Ok, I may sounded to negative. Absolutely, they do a great job!


        They do work aimed at acute injuries and also they don't seem to support much clinical studies aimed at regeneration.
        Last edited by void; 29 Sep 2016, 7:12 AM.
        Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by void View Post
          Ok, I may sounded to negative. Absolutely, they do a great job!
          They do work aimed at acute injuries and also they don't seem to support much clinical studies aimed at regeneration.

          http://www.wingsforlife.com/en/research/#research-projects


          I think my computer loaded 53 funded projects under the "regeneration" category. Many of these basic studies would be relevant to both chronic and acute injury.
          http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post

            http://www.wingsforlife.com/en/research/#research-projects


            I think my computer loaded 53 funded projects under the "regeneration" category. Many of these basic studies would be relevant to both chronic and acute injury.
            Yeah but I wrote clinical.
            You would not want them to support more human regeneration trials?
            Do you think ALL their supported projects are great?

            As I said before not hating on them, they are great.
            Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by void View Post
              Yeah but I wrote clinical.

              Yes, I had the "clinical studies" check marked for searching at their site.

              You would not want them to support more human regeneration trials?

              I don't know if any PI's affiliated with ongoing human clinical trials have actually sent them any grant requests for additional funds.

              Do you think ALL their supported projects are great?

              I'm nowhere near qualified to be on their Scientific Advisory Board judging feasibility of projects and scoring grant requests.

              As I said before not hating on them, they are great.
              ...
              http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
                ...
                For 2016 I think they are supporting 9 clinical trials. You should just have clinical studies checked or you will see all projects.

                Among those 9 are there e.g. a study on pneumonia, for me that doesn't fit with the slogans.
                Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by void View Post
                  Among those 9 are there e.g. a study on pneumonia, for me that doesn't fit with the slogans.
                  The grant descriptions read ok but I'm not sure which slogan you're putting with which category. Are you talking about the basic individual research category or ATP?
                  http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post
                    The grant descriptions read ok but I'm not sure which slogan you're putting with which category. Are you talking about the basic individual research category or ATP?
                    Our mission

                    Spinal Cord Injury must become curable

                    Wings for Life is a not-for-profit spinal cord research foundation. Our mission is to find a cure for spinal cord injury. We fund world-class scientific research and clinical trials around the globe aimed at healing the injured spinal cord.
                    Support us in achieving our goal.


                    Everyone seem very content with their work, great to hear!
                    Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by void View Post
                      Personally they don't support my favourite projects.
                      Originally posted by tomsonite View Post
                      From the map they have, it appears they are funding 137 projects, broken up into 7 different categories...
                      Why are none of them "your favorite"? What aren't they funding that you wish they would?
                      Did your favorite projects apply to them for grant funding?
                      http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                      Comment


                        #12
                        What are we debating here? I just asked what people here thaugt.

                        How the heck would I know if they applied. Also they could actively contact projects with great potential. Don't know if they do.
                        Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by void View Post
                          What are we debating here? I just asked what people here thaugt.

                          How the heck would I know if they applied. Also they could actively contact projects with great potential. Don't know if they do.
                          Not debating a thing. (But an organization mission statement isn't a slogan). You posted that your favorite projects are not funded.

                          We're just left wondering why you're not answering the question on what these favorite project(s) are that you want funded by W4L. How the heck would we know which projects you consider as having great potential if you don't answer the question?

                          If they're doing international grant calls to the SCI research community and have funding given to 137 projects, why would someone donate their time searching the globe for other project(s) that may never have bothered to fill out an application? Just curious on that...
                          Last edited by GRAMMY; 30 Sep 2016, 11:07 PM.
                          http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I really don't know what you are going for here. You scrutinize everything I write like the difference between a slogan and a stated mission. Why it matters if I quoted the slogan or stated mission I don't know. Their mission: Spinal cord injuries must become curable. I still don't think a trial on pneumonia or neuropathic pain fits that. Do you?

                            Can you please show me the 53 funded clinical trials on regeneration?

                            Ok you go on about my favourites. My favourites doesn't matter. But I think a lot of people would want them to support clinical trials aimed at regeneration. If they don't apply, stop wasting the money on pneumonia/pain/acute monitoring etc.
                            Debating on CareCure is like participating in the special-olympics. You may win, but you're still disabled.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by void View Post
                              I really don't know what you are going for here. You scrutinize everything I write like the difference between a slogan and a stated mission. Why it matters if I quoted the slogan or stated mission I don't know. Their mission: Spinal cord injuries must become curable. I still don't think a trial on pneumonia or neuropathic pain fits that. Do you?

                              Yes, if someone with SCI has neuropathic pain or reoccurring pneumonia they would be pretty happy if someone found a way to get it stopped. I'm not sure what part of this complex injury you view as worthy of funding and what isn't. If the cord isn't regenerating, there shouldn't be any funded studies from here on out?

                              Can you please show me the 53 funded clinical trials on regeneration?

                              I didn't say there were 53 clinical trials available to fund. This is what I said below.

                              Originally posted by GRAMMY View Post

                              http://www.wingsforlife.com/en/research/#research-projects


                              I think my computer loaded 53 funded projects under the "regeneration" category. Many of these basic studies would be relevant to both chronic and acute injury.

                              Ok you go on about my favourites. My favourites doesn't matter. But I think a lot of people would want them to support clinical trials aimed at regeneration. If they don't apply, stop wasting the money on pneumonia/pain/acute monitoring etc.

                              Of course people would like to support clinical trials aimed at regeneration. Unfortunately regeneration of the CNS has proven to be pretty elusive over the past decades but there's many research labs still trying to make it happen. I don't think it's necessary to shut down all SCI research studies just because they haven't had luck with regenerating the cord and humans made to be 100% again.
                              ..
                              http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X