15 Reasons to be a Vegetarian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Juke_spin
    Probably not. This method of "production" will be exhorbitantly expensive - and it's the most unnatural method of production I ever even imagined.
    Another thing. Some is so very hyped on proteins, milkshake proteins and what have one. For SCI’d if eating normally or some or to say some regular meals a day, this is bogus, added proteins will just be pissed out by urine. One gets more than enough proteins just by a regular diet; the rest is hyped and goes down the drain.

Comment

Originally posted by Leif
      Not expensive at all, imagine raising cattle and use lands for years for meat, hey some even say cows are the biggest contributors to global warming. >Thing is, when getting rid of the CO2 in the process to lure it from each other, methane gas derivates is food, maybe not for you, but this really could feed the world. One stem cell line could feed the entire world, and no, it is not a utopia. To ask you then, what is so unnatural about it, or to say methods you want to stand by to have cows in places and barns with animals just standing there year after year just to be a ruler of tem cows. Thing is, this is moving fast here now, world leading ppl are at it, and ppl without food will get food, we are in top notch on the science - huge plains and big farms to have cows for years will be the real utopia. Then of course it will be quite natural. Try to starve for a couple of months if you do not believe in that science, regardless it is here soon, bioreactors are in place. And if you don’t believe in it, thing is, in soon future one could say exactly how the steak should be, like blended with percent of fat (and remember now the fat will be engineered thus healthy), remove bad stuff in beef, and add good stuff, hey, what about a manufactured surf-and-turf for example?
      What's the expresssion I'm looking for; of yeah, I'll bite. Blah, blah, blah this and blah, blah, blah that and this new "beef" will be cheap and you've (Norway's) got the "top people" on it. So when and how much, as in - exactly HOW MUCH??? As in WHEN???

You like to prate about how great a world leader Norway is in so many things but this pie-in-the-sky genetically incubated animal protein you claim to be cheaply on the horizon is so far w/o substantiation.

Post links and excerpts stating what's being done, where by whom and when and how expensive/cheap this super meat will be when available. I really don't see how you've got the gaul to talk about existing methods of beef production being detrimental to the environment (preaching to the chior, btw) when you've had an extensive history posting everyting to the contrary, including that the whale killing and butchereing Norway still engages in is somehow a great way of addressing sapiens, sapiens need for animal protein.

We who know you know how much you like to post purely to take a devil's advocate postion. Isn't that what you've been doing here?
      "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
      J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Leif
        Another thing. Some is so very hyped on proteins, milkshake proteins and what have one. For SCI’d if eating normally or some or to say some regular meals a day, this is bogus, added proteins will just be pissed out by urine. One gets more than enough proteins just by a regular diet; the rest is hyped and goes down the drain.
        Which has exaclty nothing to do with anything I've ever said on the subject; again preaching to the chior.
        J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Juke, you seem to know how to choose the best vegetarian dishes. Attractive ones too. I am wondering what you would suggest for me since I am supposed to be on a diet that not to include red meat? Red meat does not agree with my liver and it turns into toxins in my blood. I have always liked more veggies than meat. Nick teases me about it and says that I am going to become a bunny. I don't buy any meats with the exception of fish or chicken for needed protein when I am dealing with a decubitis. Would appreciate your suggestions.

Btw, am also on diabetic diet .. 1800 calories.

Thanks for any ideas from others too.

Raven
          Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. ~Victor Hugo~

A warrior is not one who always wins,
          but one who keeps on fighting to the end ~ Unknown ~

Comment

Originally posted by Raven
            Juke, you seem to know how to choose the best vegetarian dishes. Attractive ones too. I am wondering what you would suggest for me since I am supposed to be on a diet that not to include red meat? Red meat does not agree with my liver and it turns into toxins in my blood. I have always liked more veggies than meat. Nick teases me about it and says that I am going to become a bunny. I don't buy any meats with the exception of fish or chicken for needed protein when I am dealing with a decubitis. Would appreciate your suggestions.

Raven
            Raven, while you're giving me way too much credit as a chef, we are on the same nutritional, veggie loving/promoting wavelength. I don't generally get into multiple ingredient dishes except on the spur of the moment - but I like experimentation and have been availing myself of a few very good Online Asian and natrual food sources, one of which has some attractive sounding recipe's available - so I'll offer one that looks good enough that I'll be making it soon. If you're game we can compare notes down the line.

Here's: Udon (thick Japanese noodles) in Sesame-Miso Brooth:
            udon in Sesame-Miso Broth
            Serves 4-5
            For a satisfying winter meal, serve this hearty and flavorful entrée piping hot, accompanied by a side dish of greens. In warmer weather, try omitting the sautéed vegetables, substitute 3 tablespoons white miso for the red miso, and top the noodles and broth with a colorful assortment of lightly steamed or simmered vegetables.
            1 tablespoon sesame oil
            2 slices fresh ginger root
            1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
            1/2 cup sliced celery
            2/3 cup sliced carrots
            4 cups stock or water
            1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted
            2 level tablespoons Hatcho miso
            2 level tablespoons red (rice) miso
            1 tablespoon mirin
            1 pound uncooked udon
            slivered green onions for garnish

Heat oil in medium-sized pot. Sauté ginger until golden brown, then discard. Sauté onion until translucent. Add celery and carrots, and sauté briefly. Add stock or water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until vegetables are tender. While vegetables are cooking, thoroughly grind toasted seeds in a suribachi or mortar. Add the misos, mirin, and 1/2 cup of broth. Purée with seeds, then add to soup.
            Cook udon in 4-5 quarts of rapidly boiling water until just al dente (firm). Drain, rinse briefly in a cold water bath, and drain again. Divide noodles in 4 or 5 bowls. Ladle hot miso broth over top of noodles to almost cover. Garnish with green onions and serve. http://www.cybermacro.com/Macrobioti..._MISO_RECIPES/
            Earlier in the thread I praised the Asian Food Grocer's line of foods, software and shipping as well as some of their products including their imitation Roast Duck w Shitake, Miso and Nong Shim Chajang Myun 4.5 Oz
            Price $1.13

Another food source that looks promising is Simply Natural Foods, http://www.simply-natural.biz/natural_foods.php
            I've got an order in with them for some tasty, nutritional condiments, two kinds of miso (Mitoku Organic Authentic Hatcho Miso - 16 oz. Glass Jar $6.05 & Mitoku Marukura Barley Miso 8.8 oz Pouch - but I got the kilo - you can click "other sizes") and a half gallon Perfect Pickler 64 oz. $24.50 http://www.simply-natural.biz/perfectpickler.php

Much luck with whatever you decide to try.

Juke/Steve
            J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Raven
              Hey, Raven. www.vegweb.com is a fantastic resource for recipes. They are all user submitted and rated.
              "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Comment

Originally posted by wrangle
                \ What kind of squash do you like and use? The market had a bunch of different kinds and I had no clue what I should use. The guy working there said butternut was the best so I bought that. Any suggestions about other kinds?
                It's just called yellow squash. I guess you could experiment and use whatever suits your taste. That's what we do.
                Last edited by ala; 31 Oct 2007, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Hey, I'm the one who posted the attractive pics of the vegetarian dishes, what are you asking Juke for? Kidding.

What's your food prep. situation like? What types of meals are easiest for you to prepare, one pot, stove top, oven? I can recommend a few tasty and easy meat-less recipes for you once I have more details.

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by ala
                    It's just called yellow squash. I guess you could experiment and use whatever suits your taste. That's what we do.
                    I asked just because I never cooked with squash before or bought it. Didnt know there was so many varieties. The butternut kind recommended by the grocer was really good.

I cooked the recipe last night. Thanks for posting it. I didn't read it very well the first time and peeled the vegtables by mistake. Also had no oilve oil and could have used a bigger can of tomatoes. Then it looked a little bland and I had no spices so I threw in some crumbled feta cheese before baking it. Turned out really good.

Comment

Wrangle, you should try acorn squash. It's delicious steamed, then mashed with butter and brown sugar so it's nice and moist.
                      "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Comment

Originally posted by doingtimeonmyass
                        BTW Pulix is my favorite grocery store (next to Wegmans for some of you Northerners).
                        A guy at my Publix said they'll be expanding their organic selection of foods. Look for their Greenwise signs, I believe. I love Publix, too.

Comment

Publix Lovers...

there's almost a cult-like following!

It's just a grocery store!

Comment

Originally posted by chick
                            It's just a grocery store!
                            Oh, no, it's not just a grocery store! George Jenkins is rolling in his grave right now.

Do not mock that which you do not understand.

Comment

Originally posted by antiquity
                              LOL. I'll try to find some pics of veggie burgers. The most popular type is black bean but there are soy burgers too.
                              I think they feed me a double with cheese yesterday at the hospital after I came out of surgery the nurses ordered me a double cheese burger and fries it was way to thick to be for patients and with all the trimmings, I was so hungry and dopey I ate it all and passed out for another hour or two. they asked if I liked it after i came to and started tormenting..

Comment

Originally posted by darrel
                                I think they feed me a double with cheese yesterday at the hospital after I came out of surgery the nurses ordered me a double cheese burger and fries it was way to thick to be for patients and with all the trimmings, I was so hungry and dopey I ate it all and passed out for another hour or two. they asked if I liked it after i came to and started tormenting..
                                Come on Darrel, it looked like you were on a roll; you can do better than that?
                                J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Working...
                                X