Any gardeners here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any gardeners here?

First of all I am no farmer, but think it would be cool to get something going in the backyard and my three-year-old daughter would get into it as well with my wife doing the fun labor. We purchased some tomato and bell pepper plants along with some miscellaneous seeds. I know it's probably kind of late in the year to start germinating seeds, but here in Florida it is pretty warm most of the year.

So without really researching much we now have 8 tomato plants and 6 bell peppers. I have no idea how much produce that alone will yield, but I am assuming more than we will need. I figure this year we can see how it goes and plant accordingly next year. From seed we would probably attempt some cucumbers, beets, broccoli, and maybe sweet corn.

Real estate is not really a problem I just don't know how big to make this thing. I was thinking maybe 12' X 20' for starters . I've been looking at plant spacing and now realize you could really get carried away on garden size. We went to Lowe's and purchased fabric and other miscellaneous stuff we would need. I'm trying to make this thing as easy on my wife as possible. The garden will be near our well and I found a device for $20 that will allow water to flow from a spigot to a sprinkler for a selectable duration and frequency. That's pretty bad ass I think. I could have a hose buried at the well and pop up at the edge of the garden so watering could be all automated without having to move a hose when my yard guy comes to mow.

I've got someone with a tiller and we could get this thing going over the weekend. Does anyone have any input or recommendations?

Thanks.

I'm really starting to like the deal my husband made for me this year. It's two livestock tanks (8' x 3' x 2') filled with soil & manure (and has drainage holes in the bottom) so I can garden without having to crawl around in the dirt and on the concrete like I had to the last couple of summers. He's also going to place stepping stones around the tank so I can roll around in between them. This should allow me to reach/pick more stuff this summer. (I also think he did this so he doesn't have to bend over so far to do stuff! ) These tanks appear to be about the right size. We have planted tomatoes, bell peppers, banana peppers, squash, cucumbers, and zuchinni in them and we'll just have to wait and see what happens with them. All of the plants seem to be doing well so far.

As for watering, we bought a little $30 timer from the local Wal-Mart and hooked it up to a soaker hose. It does pretty good for keeping it watered (a little too good at times)

Now, we cannot take credit for this idea - my neighbor told us about a story in the local newspaper where someone else did this.

What else are you thinking about growing?

Comment

Pumpkins! You can give away or sell road-side whatever you have too much of ... what a great project for your daughter!
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

With that selection ya gotta have onions! I'd grow herbs too. Loving the livestock tank idea...
        Blog:
        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by amarillogal
          I'm really starting to like the deal my husband made for me this year. It's two livestock tanks (8' x 3' x 2') filled with soil & manure (and has drainage holes in the bottom) so I can garden without having to crawl around in the dirt and on the concrete like I had to the last couple of summers. He's also going to place stepping stones around the tank so I can roll around in between them.
          I LOVE that. Can you post a photograph?

Where I live the big issue is trying to cut everything back before it swallows the damn house. I have a theory that the blackberries growing everywhere around here (in back yards, front yards, on the sides of freeways, in parking lots, in the woods, in the parks, everywhere) are really just one enormous mother of a plant. This would explain why it's completely impossible to uproot them . . . you can pull for days and the thing just keeps going.

My own gardening is confined to flowers, plus some rhubarb which the slugs get to before me every year.

Comment

I have a small veg garden. My gf and I had fresh potatoes and squash for the holiday. It was great. I have lots of tomatoes on. Had some fried green tomatoes for dinner yesterday. Yumm. A few days of rain would do wonders.

Comment

I should be able to post some pictures of the garden early next week

Comment

Ihave a vegie garden every year. This year I have expanded it ALOT. I also got over 50 tires that I use to make planters out of. I stack them so that I have two tires stacked on each other. I have my potatoes in stacks of three. I will take the produce I get from the garden and not only eat it fresh, but also can it so I will have some for the winter.

Here is what I have so far:

tomatoes, roma, big girl, celebrety and one golden globe
                eggplant, small Japanise, large type
                hot pepper of various varieties
                sweet peppers of varoius varieties
                asparagas (will not be harvestable till nest year)
                lettuce many varieties
                blur hubbard squash
                acorn squash
                butternut squash
                zuccini squash
                pumkins
                pink banana squash
                string beans
                shell beans
                peas, snow
                black eyed peas
                corn, silver queen
                sweet potatoes
                potatoes, three type, red, early, yukon gold
                rhubarb
                broccoli
                cauliflower
                onions, red, sweet, yellow
                swiss chard
                spinich
                seeded for kohlrabi but it did not come up
                red cabbage
                kale
                brussell sprouts
                black berries
                blue berries
                stawberries
                mulberrie tree
                peach tree
                watermellon

Istill eed to plant the radishes

I also have some chickens for their eggs, 5 hens and 1 rooster

Then I also grow all kinds of herbs:

flat and curly parsley
                celentro
                dill
                german chamomile
                stinging nettle
                sage
                oregano
                margerum....and there are more but I think the list might bore you all, droning on with this list.

The best thing I did was to make those tire planters out of stacks of tires. They do not look bad, as the plants grow and pretty much cover the tires, especially the sqashes. The tires also absorb the heat of the sun wich encourages thier growth especially allowing you to plant early.

I make compost from the lawn clippings, leaves,weeds, and table scraps. Boy does that encourage my plants! I also put eggshells around my tomatoes to prevent blossom end rot, and use companion planting, planting plants togeather that help each other. Examples are hot peppers with tomatoes, beans with corn. I have had to use the bacillus spray to reduce the number of catapillers on my plants as we have had problems with gypsy moth and tent catapillers.

I do think that I am going to have a really good crop this year as it has been good weather and my PCA and I have been working hard with the garden. All this stuff with the food and the Chinese imports in the news has really encouraged me to do this. MMMMMMMmmmmm....Iam looking forward to harvest time! Ihave really gotten into the gardening thing!
                Disability is not a medical problem with social issues, but rather a social problem with medical issues.
                Franklin D. Rosevelt

Comment

Last year I joined the local community garden. I've met so many wonderful people, I'd recommend it to everybody. There are three raised beds with sloping pathways made from donated materials that make the area quite accessible.

Here's a group I belong to called Disabled Independent Gardener Association which falls under the umbrella of the Sam Sullivan Disability Foundation:

http://www.disabilityfoundation.org/diga/index.htm

Comment

wow, that's a nice, big garden tweetybird!!

Here's some pictures of my garden-we just have to plant some grass in the dirt areas, put some edging around the pavers, and i think we're going to plant some flower bulbs this fall

I'm apparently not smart enough to paste my pictures on here so I attached them. The first picture is the view from the front, and the second picture is a close up of the area on the right side of the garden next to the fence.

Comment

You have to put pics up at a hosting site e.g. photobuckets.com. The site gives you some code, you put the code on CC and voila! Pics appear in your post.

LOVE those horse tank for gardens, envy all that concrete!
                      Blog:
                      Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

I only have a flower bed in my front yard which isn't big...I'm guessing 5'x3'...been throwing seeds in amoung the rose brushes for years...I plant tomato brushes every year...I put in six strawberry plants this year...seeds like radishes, lettuce, string beans, peas, collar greens, etc...Whatever comes up is a blessing...I'm eating lettuce that came up from last year...I have catnip that comes up every year and has spread to every crack in the driveway and the backyard...My cat has been quite happy rolling in it...lol...Just can't get rid of it...
                        One year not one of my tomato turned red...my friend, Jean and I were making green fried tomatos almost every day...I mostly end up giving most of it away since I grow so much...

Comment

I manage a small organic fruit and vegetable farm. We have about 3 acres and 5000 ft.² of greenhouses. We grow tomatoes, blackberries, raspberries, onions, squash, zucchini, okra and a few herbs. We planted 160 peach trees this year. We go to farmers market as well as sell to a couple of grocery stores here. I first became interested in organic farming while working for Whole Foods market in the early nineties. It's quite a challenge to keep up with the weeds and damaging insects without herbicides and pesticides but it's something I really enjoy. I usually run the batteries down in my power chair most days during the growing season.

I'm partners with my brother who is a firefighter. My 20 year old son is with us for his final year before he moves off to Lubbock next spring to go to school. My dad also helps a lot when he is not working his full-time job.

Amarillogal, our farm is in River Road just inside the city limits in North Amarillo. By the way that's really a cool way to make a raised bed garden.

Comment

Awesome Garden!! how are you keeping the catepillars out of the garden? We can't seem to keep them from eating everything.

Comment

Originally posted by amarillogal
                              Awesome Garden!! how are you keeping the catepillars out of the garden? We can't seem to keep them from eating everything.
                              We use a product called Bacillus Thuringiensis or BT for short which is a naturally occurring biological insecticide. It's very effective. Here's a link to an online Garden supply retailer that gives a decent short explanation of how it works. http://homeharvest.com/bt.htm Google the name for more in-depth info if you're interested. I believe Coulter Gardens carries the same brand and I would imagine that Pete's greenhouse does too. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X