No announcement yet.

Puerh Tea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi GoTWHeeLs and thanks for the mini review, to which I've added your PM for contrast/suppmement.

Originally posted by GoTWHeeLs
    Ive tried sample 11 from the list. Im not sure I got to experience the whole flavor because im positive I added to much water, oops. From what I could tell it was a stout tea, but had somewhat of a sticky texture while drinking it.
    2006 Little Golden Pu-erh Tea Brick Raw Pu-erh. Was alittle stout, but sweet at the same time. My mom and both enjoyed a cup. Whats the recommended amount of water for the size of the sample?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

What.
      Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

See #14 for distinctive and fun quotes.
        J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

OK, we tried some today. It was labeled #6. As mentioned by Juke, it has an earthy taste that I rather liked (I'm only an occasional tea drinker); my wife did not like it at all - in fact, where I said it was earthy, she said it tasted like dirt! Well, 2 words for nearly the same thing, although with very different connotations. She asked me to make some Earl Grey for her (I can't stand that!).
          As far as I'm concerned, it sure beats the taste of your standard tea bag.
          Will try another in a day or two.
          - Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rfbdorf
            OK, we tried some today. It was labeled #6. As mentioned by Juke, it has an earthy taste that I rather liked (I'm only an occasional tea drinker); my wife did not like it at all - in fact, where I said it was earthy, she said it tasted like dirt! Well, 2 words for nearly the same thing, although with very different connotations. She asked me to make some Earl Grey for her (I can't stand that!).
            As far as I'm concerned, it sure beats the taste of your standard tea bag.
            Will try another in a day or two.
            - Richard
            Richard and others,

One thing that I realized is that the Chinese drink the Puer'h tea brewed very dark and strong. My good friend Kwok-fai's puer tea is served so black that it looks like expresso. It is also served in small cup that is probably holds no more than 6 oz. At that strength and served hot, what you describe as earthy and your wife thinks tastes like "dirt" stops being earthy or like dirt. Note, the tea needs to be hot when you drink it. It is just slightly "musty", like an old manuscript or silk jacket in storage. There is a strength and

Comment

Originally posted by Wise Young
              Richard and others,

One thing that I realized is that the Chinese drink the Puer'h tea brewed very dark and strong. My good friend Kwok-fai's puer tea is served so black that it looks like expresso. It is also served in small cup that is probably holds no more than 6 oz. At that strength and served hot, what you describe as earthy and your wife thinks tastes like "dirt" stops being earthy or like dirt. Note, the tea needs to be hot when you drink it. It is just slightly "musty", like an old manuscript or silk jacket in storage. There is a strength and...
              "It is just slightly "musty", like an old manuscript or silk jacket in storage."

I don't think I even want to go there and I really like Pu-erh. The mega-strength idea is easy enough to try out. Think I'll try a blending of two young aged ripe Pu-erhs.

BTW, the doctor has consistently refered to ripe or "cooked" (heavily fermented) Pu-erh of the two types. Apparently he has little or no use for any of the green variety of this great tea. This in spite of the reality that most collectors find the aging potential and aged green tea the superior of the two.
              J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

05 / 02 New / Aged Cooked (Ripe) Tea Cake from...

...Yunpu.

I just unpacked an order of various Pu-erhs from the Puerh Shop which includes a wonderful date flavored Puerh brick and, amongst other things, two cakes of a misleadingly labled aged ripe cake which were the last of seven such cakes being stocked by the shop. I brewed up a strong and tasty pot of the date stuff in a very nice Yixing teapot that came in the same mail delivery.

Here's the Puerh Shop's description of the five year aged cake:

Ripe Premium Product 3/4

2005 Yunpu Pu-erh Tea Cake

$26.80
                Sale: $18.76
                Save: 30% off

Yunpu Pu-erh Tea Cake
                This cake came from a private reserve and it had been disappeared from the marketplace. Most ripe Pu-erh teas tend to brew a dark colored soup, yet this one showed some special character like an aged tea.
                It was found that this cake was actually made of arbor tea leaves from old stock back in 2002.
                For an aged Pu-erh tea, the color is bright even it steeped for longer time, it is so much so for this tea. The taste is smooth, mellow, and there is a special sweet taste that an old tea presents.
                • Pu-erh Ripe Tea Cake 357g
                • Fermented
                • Vintage 2005
                • Premium class
                • Loose tea leaves
                • Organic product
                • Caffeine: Moderate
                • Special-Reserve
                • Model: Yunpu - 4005
                • Shipping Weight: 0.9lbs
                • 5 Units in Stock
                • Manufactured by: Yunpu Tea Factory
                Edit: At this point I've just had the first cup of the 2nd steeping of the Yunpu cake.*

The first steeping took place yesterday on-the-fly as I got ready for a van to pick me up for a food shopping trip. I was too tight for time to even get to taste the brewed tea before the driver, having come early, showed up. By the time I got back home, unpacked and stored my groceries and could taste the cold tea I was so tired that I'm just going to say that I was unimpressed. I've been doing this too long to be much more than unimpressed and knew I'd need to have rested up sufficently to have my senses renewed before they would be able to do anything like an accureate evaluation. Which brings me up to here.

I went with a slightly shorter steeping the second time around at just eighty seconds. The tea had a nice, full but unintriguing aroma and I anticipated nothing special from it. Nice surprise upon tasting/suping it though; this five year aged ripe Pu-erh is full of body and deep flavor with the beginnings of a complex or layered structure. Refering back to the Puerh Shop's review of it, "..the color is bright even it steeped for longer time, it is so much so for this tea. The taste is smooth, mellow..", I got the "bright" but will say that the color was quite dark, perhaps because I used a lot of tea in the infusion. There is a pleasant aftertaste as well. All in all this Yunpu ripe Pu-erh cake is shaping up an investment I have no qualms about having made.

* Just a little note on the use of "Premium" and "Premium Class" in the product description used by the Puerh Shop: All tea leaf being used in the production of a tea being processed for market undergoes a phase/stage of evaluation of the leaf after withering. It may be a cursory inspection on a hill in Kyoto Japan, done by a small-scale grower/producer who glances over the tiny bright green leaves of a harvest of spring tea plant prior to steaming or pan frying to get his Sincha/Sencha ready for sale/auction and it may be a much more involved and exacting process like that used by one of the sites I put up in the "Green Tea.." thread where withered leaf from all over the world is shipped to Germany for precise, highly critical examination, evaluation and sorting.
                Last edited by Juke_spin; 13 May 2007, 12:23 PM.
                J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Today I tried sample number 1. I was studying and getting ready to take my history finals and figured I'd have a cup before I took my test. Boiled 2 cups of water, let it simmer for about 15 minutes then drank it up. It was perfect, not to strong, not to light. I thought the flavor was excellent, my second favorite next to oolong tea. Its been about 2 hours since I drank it and i feel terrible. Not sick, but BLAH. I feel like moving isnt an option because it will take to much effort. I dont wanna blame the tea, but there's nothin else it could be. Anyone else ever felt like this before?
                  Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Comment

It must have been an overload on the caffeine because I felt fine a couple of hours later. Strong stuff!

My Myspace

Comment

2003 Golden Sail Brand Yunnan Pu-erh Tea Cake

It must have been an overload on the caffeine because I felt fine a couple of hours later. Strong stuff!
                      That's because you a wuss, the caffine level in all Pu-erh tea is "moderate". That translates out to it's considerably less speedy than coffee and you were drinking a very diluted decoction at most; I know because the samples I sent out wouldn't allow anything stronger.

I got a new cake of Pu-erh from The Puerh Shop two days ago and made up a small pot of it early this morning. Based on it's smell when I opened the wrapping I'd been expecting a smokiness from this four y/o ripe Puerh and it did deliver on that. But the smokiness was muted and the overall effect was a deeply moody, mildly smoky layered complexity.

This cake is a mear fourteen bucks for about a twelve ounce cake...

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?m...products_id=94

...and you'd be hard-pressed to find a nicer investment and introduction to the fine art of Puerh tea drinking.
                      Last edited by Juke_spin; 7 Sep 2007, 4:08 PM.
                      J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
                        That's because you a wuss
                        Highly unlikely, but maybe. I still remember that day. You did it to me on purpose, brb, I gotta contact your local authories.

My Myspace

Comment

Wanted to share how pleased overall I am with my considerable Puerh investment, including as it does a fair sized wine cooler.

A little while ago I brewed a pot of a loose cooked/ripe Puerh I got from The Puerh Shop a year ago for next-to-nothing and it's really delicious; just the drink to hit the spot on a chilly, wet January day in the foothills.
                          J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Old Tea Tree Photos

Old Tea Trees

We often mentioned old wild tea trees in Xishuangbanna, exactly what were we talking about? Here are a couple of photos to show you.

These trees were said to be at least a couple of hundred years old. Now someone is picking the tea leaves!

It does not look like an easy job to me, imaging to get more than 1kg fresh leaves, and dry them up to make a 375g Puer tea cake. What if you have to pick all buds?

The tea leaves get sun dried in an open field. Now you know why you have to rinse the tea before you drink it.

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?m...id=7&chapter=0

J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Gongfu Method off Tea Preparation

This is the best all-around method for brewing oolong and pu-erh teas.

Below is a link too the most inexpensive tea table I'v found. The Puerh Shop has a huge selection and the lowest prices of any domestic source selling puerh.

http://www.puerhshop.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=357
                              J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Your obsessed.....

My Myspace

Comment

Working...
                                X