Biang Biang Noodles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antiquity
    Wise, please don't ever post pictures of fried worms again.
    Sen,
    Don't worry. I found a recruit to clean up Dr. Wise's "FOOD" posts. Shhh..don't tell anybody or they may find somethng to clean up my recruit.

http://www.maxwaugh.com/yellowstone04/otter4.html
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindox
      Sen,
      Don't worry. I found a recruit to clean up Dr. Wise's "FOOD" posts. Shhh..don't tell anybody or they may find somethng to clean up my recruit.

http://www.maxwaugh.com/yellowstone04/otter4.html
      Lindox,

Haha. It is true that animals do eat each other and often while they are still alive.

Humans may be amongst the most squeemish of carnivores. We are the only ones who cook our victims and remove recognizable parts such as the head. There is less of this squeemishness in China, perhaps because they have been conditioned by years of famine. But, I think that there is more to Chinese attitudes towards food than just famine conditioning.

When I first came to the United States at age 18, I was aghast by how much food Americans throw out (probably the origins of my fascination with shelf-life of food in the refrigerators). They also don't eat certain high-protein foods that other cultures prize. For example, Americans routinely throw out the feet of chickens, ducks, geese, and other animals, the heads of fish, the entrails and other parts of animals. After all, if we kill the animal to eat it, we might as well eat all parts of it.

In 1972, when I went to the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole as a student, I found that many scientists were studying squids but threw away the bodies of the squids after they extracted the giant axons. So, I went around the place and convinced my colleagues to save the bodies. Every Friday, my good friend Brian Salzberg and I use to hold a squid fry in the Grass Laboratories, using woks with bunsen burners. As the smells of fried squid with Sichuan peppers wafted through the building, people came to feast. In Cape Cod, people used squid only for bait.

Recently, I have been having discussions with an Indian friend about the Jain religion, which believes that we should not kill anything in the course of our lives. The Jains will not eat eggs, for example. They do not eat roots (since harvesting of the root kills the plant) and have special ways of collecting grain that does not kill the plant. It is a very interesting religion because it values life more than any other religion that I know. I respect them because they practice what they believe.

In Kunming, I have been told that agriculture came late to the region. Most of its vegetable dishes, for example, are from wild plants collected in the extensive forests. They probably have more kinds of mushroom dishes than any other place in the world. In one typical dinner, I counted eight different mushrooms, all collected from the wild. Finally, they prize wild meat. In Shishanbanna (a place that is just north of Vietnam), our hosts killed a wild boar for us and we ate all its parts from morning to night.

People from other cultures eat many things that Americans would find distasteful or even disgusting. In Germany and France, for example, clotted blood is a common part of dishes. In China and Africa, insects and worms are favorites (sorry, Seneca). Snakes are considere delicacies. In Guangzhou, there is a wonderful dish of rice grubs, worms that grow in the roots of rice plants. As I have already pointed out, fried bamboo worms and wasps are a specialty of the Yunnan province. They go great with beer.

The average Chinese meal is also much more diverse than an American meal. Depending on the size of the party, you may eat small portions of perhaps as many as 10 different kinds of food. The Chinese believe that one should eat equal proportions of tsai (vegetables) and starch, with several kinds of meat, fish, and others sources of protein (beans, tofu, etc.). This may be one of the reasons why Chinese are not as fat as Americans. But, the western diet is beginning to creep into the Chinese way of life because I am beginning to see more fat people here in China.

Wise.

Comment

Fried bamboo worms and wasp?? With beer.... Whoa!!!! I think I'll stay with my pretzel rods, lol.

Thanks for the great read Dr. Young. Very interesting way of life. You can find many different topics similar to this on the National Geographic Explorer.
        A good friend is someone who will come to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend is the guy sitting next to you behind the same set of bars saying, "boy we sure f*cked up this time huh?"

Comment

Dr. Wise,
          Very interesting.
          The otters of Africa who live in piranha invested waters often feast on these little beasts. The juvenile otter must learn though that to eat this fish you must start with the head. Just some trivia.

I can't as most Americans even begin to realize what famine is..at least the Americans since the depression. But grew up eating from the land. And yes..have experienced chicken feet with noodles. Oh what a treat. Not really. But was taught from very young when you are a guest in someone's house and they have prepared food for their guests you eat it..you say nothing negative even if you are feeling nauseated.

We ate every rodent that was edible in the Midwest.
          Every fish and water resident also. Have you ever indulged in barbequed beaver rump? Oh what a thrill.
          Not really. Turkey testicles another humdinger. Animal intestines..Menudo. Most markets have animal kidneys, livers, brains, feet..lots of feet..tongues, intestines..headed fish etc.

My Grandpa loved to eat eel..it liked to turn itself over in the pan..such a cooperative animal that one is.

Your Woods Hole calamari treat would have been right up my alley. Raw anything that once had a face or is still moving with a face doesn't really cause me to drool though since the discovery of FIRE.

So to eat a bowl of LIVE shrimp..I'll leave that to the otters. And they also prefer their worms raw or at the most al dente.
          Nonetheless very interesting reading about food from parts of the world many of us have never experienced.
          Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

Comment

lol, I USED to eat anything that creeped or crawled across my plate but I never had a desire for wasps or worms. Well, unless the worm was in the bottom of a bottle of metzcal or tequila.
            Those were some pretty good looking dishes on the page. Made me hAWnngry! Nephew is bringing me a big veggie sub from subway after pIano practice, that'll just have ta do.
            Yes doc, start taking pictures and posting them. Your gif of the shrimp came out in 16 colors though, hard to see.
            I remember the first pot of crawdads I boiled at home, I actually felt bad because I could hear them screaming as I dropped them in the boiling water. Never could make myself boil them again. I just let someone else do the cooking. Loved eating them though. As far as the wasps... I despise them creatures,lol. I toast their nests every time I find one. I still couldn't eat them though, I'd be afraid of getting stung, or worse yet, some giant cloud of live wasps watching me and attacking in revenge
            Last edited by CapnGimp; 26 Sep 2006, 5:06 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/john.baxter.1213986

Comment

and I thought I was tough eating frog legs [yum] and trying calamari [ick] there's no way I could eat live stuff- ack!
              Last edited by teesieme; 3 Oct 2006, 9:18 AM.
              "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Comment

PeeCee and non-English characters

Cass, are you are using a Microsoft PeeCee?

No such problems with Mac and Linux.

You have to import an 'illegal' Chinese version of Windoze and a Chinese keyboard. (Under Australian law parellel importing is legal and regioned products are defective, but no one has taken on Microsoft over this. Sony must now permit mod-chiping of DVD players and game consoles and DVD players require mod-chiping before sale.)

In Australia it was easier to install Debian GNU/Linux or get a Mac both of which is what we now have so my wife can use Traditional (Taiwan) Chinese. I never did get my money back on the defective Microsoft Windows as I have better things to do.

I you really want your PeeCee fixed start with a fitness for purpose warranty claim.

One possible remedy could be that they buy your Windows back and you can install an internationalised Linux distribution.

A few people in our IT department have declined the license terms of the OEM software included with laptops, got the money back and then bought beer which tasted much better than usual. The OEM takes a loss even though you have declined Microsoft's terms, but that is between the OEM and Microsoft.

If you buy a new computer get Mac now that you know that the Windows product is defective.

You can make an Intel Mac dual boot Linux without boot camp thanks to grub-efi. (My Macs are dual boot, but my PeeCees are Linux only.)
                http://zagam.net/

Comment

umm, sure you're talking to me? my work computer opened all fonts. my current home laptop does too. all my work stuff is windows, so is my home stuff, to stay compatible.

anyway, my teenage trekkie and i are both upset at the 9/1 vegas closure of the star trek experience....we wanted to try klingon food

Comment

Working...
                  X