Tea 'healthier' drink than water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tea 'healthier' drink than water

Being Irish, I am never far from a pot of tea, so this news report is encouragement to keep on brewing....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5281046.stm

Drinking three or more cups of tea a day is as good for you as drinking plenty of water and may even have extra health benefits, say researchers.
    The work in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition dispels the common belief that tea dehydrates.

Tea not only rehydrates as well as water does, but it can also protect against heart disease and some cancers, UK nutritionists found.

Experts believe flavonoids are the key ingredient in tea that promote health.

These polyphenol antioxidants are found in many foods and plants, including tea leaves, and have been shown to help prevent cell damage.

Public health nutritionist Dr Carrie Ruxton, and colleagues at Kings College London, looked at published studies on the health effects of tea consumption.

They found clear evidence that drinking three to four cups of tea a day can cut the chances of having a heart attack.

Some studies suggested tea consumption protected against cancer, although this effect was less clear-cut.

Other health benefits seen included protection against tooth plaque and potentially tooth decay, plus bone strengthening.

Dr Ruxton said: "Drinking tea is actually better for you than drinking water. Water is essentially replacing fluid. Tea replaces fluids and contains antioxidants so its got two things going for it."

Of course, next week some other expert will say something different.
    Until then, anyone for a cuppa?

I wonder if the same thing is true of coffee?

Comment

Originally posted by roshni
      I wonder if the same thing is true of coffee?
      It's not. The roasted hydrocarbons make it a carcinogen.
      "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
      J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Tea is great! i still love coffee more, even if it may cause cancer. Chewing gum is also suppose to be a carcinogen, hell anything can be if you want it enough.
        Injured:10-16-04
        C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
        Blog:
        http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
        Facebook:
        http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
        Progress:
        http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
        My drawings:
        http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

Originally posted by mr_coffee
          Tea is great! i still love coffee more, even if it may cause cancer. Chewing gum is also suppose to be a carcinogen, hell anything can be if you want it enough.
          I have to agree with my bud Cory. I can't even get through the day without contacting some carcinogen.

Comment

I get my quota of tea in every day; over ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Le Type Français
              I have to agree with my bud Cory. I can't even get through the day without contacting some carcinogen.
              yep, potato chips and black pepper are carcinogens too.

Comment

tea is healthier than water which, besides preventing dehydration, has no nutritional value. in the ancient world, herbs were steeped in boiling water to purify it for drinking. no one drank plain water before the advent of modern water purification methods. the herbs (tea) provided essential nutrients. oh and unfermented tea (green, but not necessarily camellia) is healthier than fermented (black) tea.
                Last edited by antiquity; 25 Aug 2006, 7:30 PM.

Comment

I love tea; have drunk loads of it for years.

I love the smell of coffee, but hate the taste.
                  Those real coffee machines produce marvellous odours...I could inhale all day.

Comment

SuzyQisforquad,

Try the wonderful licorice tea from Yogi Tea. You can find it on drugstore.com. Here, check it out:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...-PLST-0-SEARCH

Comment

Originally posted by keps
                      I love tea; have drunk loads of it for years.

I love the smell of coffee, but hate the taste.
                      Those real coffee machines produce marvellous odours...I could inhale all day.
                      If the taste of coffee matched its aroma, I'd drink it continuously. Will only have the occasional steaming mug or cup when at a coffeehouse with friends. Even then, I usually opt for tea.

Yes, confession time. I've been drinking tea. Again. I chase it with h2o so my kidneys don't revolt, but I'm drinking caffeinated green, peach and raspberry teas again.

Comment

Originally posted by LaMemChose
                        If the taste of coffee matched its aroma, I'd drink it continuously. Will only have the occasional steaming mug or cup when at a coffeehouse with friends. Even then, I usually opt for tea.

Yes, confession time. I've been drinking tea. Again. I chase it with h2o so my kidneys don't revolt, but I'm drinking caffeinated green, peach and raspberry teas again.
                        Mem, you might want to consider

Unlike other flavored water brands that contain only subtle hints of fruit taste, Fruit2O is made from natural fruit essence, making it truly in a category of its own. Named the best-tasting beverage in the country by the American Taste Awards, a nationally recognized gourmet food tasting organization, Fruit2O contains no calories, fat or sugar and is an alternative to sodas, juice drinks and unflavored water. Fruit2O is sweetened with SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener.

I just found this info on it, http://www.kraftfoods.com/fruit2o/why.html
                        ...and will be getting some next time I shop. I'll get back to this thread once I've tried it but it's on sale at less than .50c a can, so what the hey.
                        J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

Originally posted by Juke_spin
                          Mem, you might want to consider

Unlike other flavored water brands that contain only subtle hints of fruit taste, Fruit2O is made from natural fruit essence, making it truly in a category of its own. Named the best-tasting beverage in the country by the American Taste Awards, a nationally recognized gourmet food tasting organization, Fruit2O contains no calories, fat or sugar and is an alternative to sodas, juice drinks and unflavored water. Fruit2O is sweetened with SPLENDA® Brand Sweetener.

I just found this info on it, http://www.kraftfoods.com/fruit2o/why.html
                          ...and will be getting some next time I shop. I'll get back to this thread once I've tried it but it's on sale at less than .50c a can, so what the hey.
                          Sounds like a great find, Steve. Will try it next week when I buy groceries. Had skipped it previously because I thought it had calories and well, calories.

Let me know what you think of it. I'll do the same.

Comment

Why Not Fruit2O

Originally posted by LaMemChose
                            Sounds like a great find, Steve. Will try it next week when I buy groceries. Had skipped it previously because I thought it had calories and well, calories.

Let me know what you think of it. I'll do the same.
                            I tried Fruit2O today and didn't care for it. Firstly, the claim that it is superior to other soft drinks because it contains only natural fruit juices is offset by the reality that the drinks are just barely flavored at all. They are spring water to which a token amount of fruit juice is added.

Still, a good way to hydrate, right. Maybe for some, but I got a headache shortly after drinking one 16 oz. bottle and, hours later (after using another as the base of a fruit blend) found the headache continuing. It was only about six hours into the headache that I realized that the drinking of the Fruit2O was the only new/different thing and the likely culprit. It might be the Splenda in Fruit2O as this was the frist time I've ingested that. I'll have to get some Splenda and use it to sweeten my cereal and see if I get another headache. For now, though, Fruit2O is out of my diet and the remaining ten bottles are going back to the market for a refund.
                            J.B.S.Haldane

Comment

i drink good 'ol Southern sweet tea, but decaff.. not sure if the sugar offsets the good things in tea or not. i'm addicted to it i tell ya'.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Working...
                              X