Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Susan M
    ROFL, Chick!
    Right, but you have to take into account due to an unstable COG (centre of gravity) - harmonic tremors can occur, although this can be a problem it can be handy especially during wheelchair dances, it can help out to get a more stable gyro effect if controlled correctly, but that will require a lot of practise I guess.

Comment

I'll take a flat gut for $400, Alex.

Get rid of my quad gut and I'll deal with the balancing issues later. I used to be size 28-29 waist (granted, that was 17 years ago at the time of my injury) but I'm now size 37 and am on an intense diet so that I don't go past that, at least not at a fast rate. What drives me crazier is seeing myself when I'm standing in my standing frame and my pants/shorts are falling off of me.

Comment

I hope to lose mine soon but now it does a good job of holding the shower head while I scrub....

Comment

Originally posted by felieh
          I'll take a flat gut for $400, Alex.

Get rid of my quad gut and I'll deal with the balancing issues later. I used to be size 28-29 waist (granted, that was 17 years ago at the time of my injury) but I'm now size 37 and am on an intense diet so that I don't go past that, at least not at a fast rate. What drives me crazier is seeing myself when I'm standing in my standing frame and my pants/shorts are falling off of me.
          lol. yup. i stand up and my dress pants fall down.
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

I quit worrying about my "tetra tum" years ago. Let's face it, you only have to look around during the summer to see able bodied blokes walking around with no top on with the most of enormous bellies. Some of the guys are younger than me and they look like they are going to give birth to a small family. They haven't got an excuse, we have. And I totally agree about the balance. My balance used to be terrible in the early days when I didn't have too much of the belly. My balance is absolutely brilliant now, I don't fall forward at all. If you do have a complex about your gut then wear dark clothing, it really does help a lot. During the colder months, I wear a black fleece when I go out and you can't see my belly. Mind you, mine doesn't really stick out at the sides, just out at the front.
            Tetraplegic & Spinal Injury Site

Comment

O.K., this is a one-time offer.

Chick, will you marry me?

Chris.
              Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

Comment

Originally posted by Ironside
                I quit worrying about my "tetra tum" years ago. Let's face it, you only have to look around during the summer to see able bodied blokes walking around with no top on with the most of enormous bellies. Some of the guys are younger than me and they look like they are going to give birth to a small family. They haven't got an excuse, we have. And I totally agree about the balance. My balance used to be terrible in the early days when I didn't have too much of the belly. My balance is absolutely brilliant now, I don't fall forward at all. If you do have a complex about your gut then wear dark clothing, it really does help a lot. During the colder months, I wear a black fleece when I go out and you can't see my belly. Mind you, mine doesn't really stick out at the sides, just out at the front.
                agreed 100%. it was one of the hardest things for me to deal w/ at first. now, it is what it is.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com
                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by mr_coffee
                  When I had a quad gut the only way I made it go away was eat very little food and that wasn't heathly at all, nor did i have any engery. But I did find if you stay away from white bread and eat small volume food it helps. WHen i say small volume, i mean food that gives you alot of good stuff your body needs but isn't very big. For instance, Tuna. It won't bloat you out, but if you ate say, a whole 6 inch sub, your going to be feeling the quad gut. Your going to get just as much protien in that can of tuna as your going to get with that 6 inch turkey/ham sub. If you where to chew up and spit out the 6 inch sub, its going to be alot bigger than the can of tuna. The bigger the food, the bigger the quad gut.

Also eat small protions, alot during the day. I eat 6-7 times a day, very small portions, very high protien, low fat, about 1500 calories a day but I should be eating more at my activity level.

Goodluck!
                  You said "when I had quad gut." So how the hell does your stomach look like it does now??? What did you do?

For the record I hate my para gut, but I guess it helps with my balance. I'd much rather look like mr coffee or musclebeach than having this gut. It's embarassing.
                  6/18/00: T-5 complete

Comment

We should have a competition. Who's got the largest waste. I have got a few pairs of trousers that are specially made for me. Of the top of my head, my waste is definitely closer to 50 inches. I was quite surprised really, I don't exactly look like heavyweight, even with my top off. I am careful what I eat dog. I don't eat chocolate much. The occasional piece of 85% cocao. A couple of beers every now and then and maybe a glass of wine but I really don't go over the top. I very rarely eat Chinese or Indian food and I steer clear of greasy food such as chips. If I do eat them, they are normally the ones that you put in the oven. I don't eat white bread, only wholegrain. No sugar or milk in my tea. In my coffee, yes but I don't drink many of them. I think I may have gained a little at the moment because I am eating more protean. Having a couple of eggs for my breakfast three times a week.

Anyway, my girlfriend isn't bothered about my gut, so I am not really bothered. Don't want it to get any bigger though.
                    Tetraplegic & Spinal Injury Site

Comment

Originally posted by cspanos
                      O.K., this is a one-time offer.

Chick, will you marry me? :
                      This may be the only opportunity I get to put on a wedding dress ... so maybe I'll look past getting my senior citizenship before you

now... where's the honeymoon?

Comment

Originally posted by rock
                        You said "when I had quad gut." So how the hell does your stomach look like it does now??? What did you do?
                        Well food wise, i eat small portions so it doesn't stretch my gut out, i aslo eat high protien, low fat foods. Very little fat at all in my diet which some say is unhealthy and it could be but it does make my body feel good and I get very tired when i eat fatty foods. It was like this pre/post sci as well. It also could be becuase i have gal bladder stones and fatty foods are suppose to affect that. I don't ever have the feeling of feeling "full" becuase i never eat that much in 1 sitting. It was very hard to figure out portion control but once i did i was quite happy.

For exericse, well i do alot of it. I havn't done a sit up or crunch in 2 years. Even with the abs i have, i still cannot do a sit up or crunch. I also can't tigthen my abs without it being a spasim.

Pre-sci i had a pretty nice 6/8 pack so soon after I got hurt, about 5 months posts, i started to contantly e-stimming my stomach so those abs wouldn't disspear, even though i coudln't see them, all i saw was a huge gut stairing at me, but i knew they had to be there. Then i slowly saw them return.

But I do walk full time now, i don't know how much walking has to do with it, but walking alone will work your abs, but not enough to give you a 6 pack or else all ab's would be running around with them.

So I really can't tell you how to get abs or to reduce your gut rather than diet/exercise/portion control/ and e-stimming. I know every sci is different so maybe i was just lucky this technique worked for me.
                        Last edited by mr_coffee; 15 Aug 2006, 10:02 PM.
                        Injured:10-16-04
                        C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
                        Blog:
                        http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
                        Facebook:
                        http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
                        Progress:
                        http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
                        My drawings:
                        http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

liposuction

I'd like to know if there are any quads that have gotten
                          liposuction. Seems like a kewl way to get rid of some of the nasty gut.

Comment

Alot of what a quad gut is, isn't that the person is fat, but its becuase the lining of the stomach just can't hold anything in. You would think maybe inserting a mesh would help but, if there isn't anything solid to connect it to, that would also probably not work.
                            C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

Blog:
                            Facebook:
                            Progress:
                            http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
                            My drawings:
                            http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Comment

Originally posted by Rock517

For the record I hate my para gut, but I guess it helps with my balance. I'd much rather look like mr coffee or musclebeach than having this gut. It's embarassing.
                              He posted pictures recently. Not sure when.
                              T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

its here if ur interested:
                                /forum/showthread.php?t=64204
                                C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

Blog:
                                Facebook:
                                Progress: