salty ammonia licorice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

salty ammonia licorice

salty licorice reminds me of my grandmother, whom sadly passed away in 1970 when I was only 12. she always had a tin of zoute licorice bits in the shape of tiny diamonds in her apron pocket. i suppose the taste is an acquired one, as my husband nearly vomited when he tried one I had sent for in the mail. If anyone knows of a shop in the Long Beach, CA area I would sure appreciate the info. Paid $18 for .75 lbs by mail. Thanx [img]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Hey socalgal, if you look in the topic about everyone's favorite candy, you'll see some discussion about this. WFE even provides a link to order some. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

YUCK...nothing sounds more gross than "salty ammonia licorice"...*gag*

Kap

"It's not easy being green"
      accept no substitutes

Comment

Originally posted by Kaprikorn1:

Kap

It taste very nice. You should try [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
        TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I thought ammonia was poisonous if ingested. Is this a different kind of ammonia?

Comment

I am certain ammonia is not used in the manufacture of this licorice, it just has the taste/ smell. Like I said, the taste for this licorice is most likely an acquired one. I just happen to love black licorice, and the salty kind in particular. By the way, I cannot stand Red Vines, when everyone I know simply love them. Go figure????
            Originally posted by seneca:

I thought ammonia was poisonous if ingested. Is this a different kind of ammonia?

Comment

Seneca-

It is some sort of ammonia salt i think, it crusts the candy and looks like sugar. But ugh, gasp! it's not.

C5/6 incomplete, injured Aug. 2000
              Blog:
              Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

ammonia salt occurs naturally in rainwater [small quantities ], sea water , fertile soil and most animal/plant fluids [urine in particular ] . like many chemicals in small amounts it is not deadly as is evidienced by drinking the above liquids [ lets not delve into urine drinking please ] , or kids eating dirt . Urea [ which occurs in urine and contains ammonia salt ] is fed to ruminants [ cud chewing mammals ] that have access to low fodder quality to assist them in metabolising this lower standard of feed . and as any livestock producer who has used Urea knows , it needs to be monitored , as excess consumption by the animals will cause death .
                thank you ,
                dogger

every day i wake up is a good one .
                Every day I wake up is a good one .

Comment

Anything like these???

http://store.yahoo.com/candywarehouse/licdiam3kgca.html

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Yes, SCI-Nurse, only teeny-tiny Maybe 1/2" diamonds. Same flavor though. And I would like to find a local source, mail order can be deceiving at times. Thanx.

Comment

Kaprikorn,
                      There is nothing like salmiak licorice... You need it in your household more than peanutbutter.
                      It is a flaw in americas development as a civilised country, when they dont know how to apreciate this candy wonder :-)
                      The stronger and saltier it gets the better it is.
                      Try it some time, I bet you will be hooked on it :-)
                      I would gladly send you a sample of the best sorts in the world:-)

Originally posted by Kaprikorn1:

Kap

Comment

Working...
                      X