No announcement yet.

last night I had Elk, Squirrel, and Venison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally Like squirell it's a good break to eat one evry now and then as I can't walk in the wood's anymore I have to wait for my boy's to bring one in. animal's I think have to be kept in check or they over populate for instance raccoon's here there are so many that Rabies are getting into them!!!! Ive ate it once but did not care for it stringy!! My youngest got a deer this year so we are having alot of jerky and the deer saugage is great!!! they turned Turkey's loose and now we have way to many it's nothing to see 20 at a time I hear there not that good to eat plus now you have to worry about lice and tick's from them not to mention they turned loose rattlesnakes because they say it's a turkey's farvorite food!!!! so now I know for sure I'll stay out of the wood's But has anyone here eaten rattlesnake?????

Comment

snake works nicely, sea turtle is the best meat i have ever had, better than a filet minion steak, same color and texture, but protected most places nowadays, land turtle works too, but lots of flukes/worms, not that tasty, in the organs not a good thing..tabasco sauce always helps what wasnt always pallatble, eels are great... bbq
      lobster used to be fed to the prisioners in new england as it was considered trash food early on.
      if someone could figure out what to do with the damn geese around here, be great to turn them into food, they dont migrate anymore, just foul everthing with the dropppings, ruining lakes and other area for swimming due to high geese droppings.
      cauda equina

Comment

I had rattle snake when I lived in Mississippi. Along with Gator. I thought it all tasted like chicken meat so why not just eat chicken?

As far as rabies. It is hard to catch unless you eat raw meat or get blood in with your blood, like a cut.
        rabies info

T-10 complete
        10/08/01

T-10 complete
        10/08/01
        "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat(wheelinarcher):

I had rattle snake when I lived in Mississippi. Along with Gator. I thought it all tasted like chicken meat so why not just eat chicken?
          snakes and such ...
          we used to call it chow on the hoof, an unexpected delight to add to the mundane of lrrp rations... tabasco sauce fixes all in the field
          cauda equina

Comment

Sounds delicious to me!!

I have had elk once and loved it. My hubby and son hunt so we often have squirrel, rabbit and we did have venison tonight for supper. I love wild game. If the population of wild game wasn't contolled some by hunting there would be more problems with disease and other things.
            Mom to Heather, age 16, T-12, 8 years post & Michael, age 19.

Comment

[img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]Thank you Pat and Lindox for answering about the rabies! Much appreciated! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Pat, what is a chestnut burger? Is it really made with chestnuts? Is there any meat in it? Thank you. [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

it has a chestnut center. It is like a venison meatball wrapped around a chestnut. I will see if I can get the recipe.

T-10 complete
                  10/08/01

T-10 complete
                  10/08/01
                  "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO' what a ride!"

Comment

Population of wild animals wouldn't require so much control.... IF there wasn't so much usurping of land and habitat.. Ironic huh... population control due to calulated manipulation of population and land. Much of it due to human irresponsibilty and recklessness.

Im not against hunting, per se, but when people argue that WE need to hunt to control population, it seems a very deflective and self serving remark.

I have more regard/respect for those who can at least admit that they hunt because they enjoy the kill and prefer to eat wild game.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat(wheelinarcher):

it has a chestnut center. It is like a venison meatball wrapped around a chestnut. I will see if I can get the recipe.
                      Thank you Pat! [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] I was hoping it was some sort of "woodsman's vegie burger"! [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] I'd still like to have the recipe though because my omnivorous spouse will like it and another member on this site who seems to think our house is a restaraunt! [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] but I won't name names...(covers mouth and coughs out..hmmhmm...blundy...hmm..hmm...no, no, I didn't say anything, I just have a cold! [img]/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]) [img]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                      X