Chips and guac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chips and guac

I've got to admit, this is a little out of the ordinary type of question. Prior to my accident I just loved chips and guac. But now, I've got to wonder - how on Earth do quads without hand function dip a chip in the guac? It's just a little too thick and the chip always falls out of my hand! No matter how I try to secure it between my fingers, it still pulls out. And then I have the added challenge of getting guac all over my fingers. Best idea I've had is to scoop guac with a spoon and then mix them in my mouth, but that's just not very compelling.
    Last edited by ejl10; 03-27-2020, 10:40 AM.
    C5/6 complete (maybe) circa June 2018

I have a passion for that snack so I understand your misery. I'm not a quad but wondering if one of those very small size spatulas, dipped first in the guacamole so a chip would stick to it, would work. Mine is teflon or rubber and I use it for everything while cooking. Once the guac is on the tip/front or side of the spatula, can you rotate it enough to have the chip stick to it? Are you able to hold a small spatula? The one I have has a fat handle. I have another one used for scraping out a bowl, it has a wooden handle and is about the size of a tablespoon. Amazon kitchen tools section might help.

Are you using tenodesis method to pick things up? What about a different chip such as "scoops" for better grip.

I know you will figure something out. This snack is one of life's joys, especially in a time like this!!
    Let us know.......I think other quads will chime in here to make suggestions.
    Last edited by triumph; 03-27-2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Get the strips. They are a little thicker and you get more space between your fingers and the guac and you can use the strip to leverage guac.

Comment

Okay, Instacart got me a grocery delivery today, so I was able to give these suggestions a try. First, the spatula. I had a hard time holding it, but I'll bet I can remedy it with some fancy OT logic. Turns out that it's much like my old solution using a spoon (I didn't even realize I was double-dipping using the guac to stick to the chips!), but the spatula is admittedly much better at scraping guac off the sides of the bowl. So it works, but I'd say it's still leaves me feeling like I should be able to do it better. That said, eating chips and guac is always nice even if it's done in poor form! Doubly nice while stuck at home fearing Coronavirus.

Fortunately, I was able to order some strips and miraculously the store had some in stock. I'd say these were definitely easier to hold, control, and dip effectively than regular shaped chips. But there were still a couple of limitations that I'll need to work on. First, a lot of the chips in the bag were broken, and they became useless for this purpose as a result. I ended up with the old problem of having guac all over my fingers again, which is really only a problem for the people around me. So I guess I'll have to be really careful to buy a bag of chips that hasn't been beat up at all. Second, and perhaps a little bit more serious, is that while the Mission brand tortilla strips are nice, they don't even compare to the Mi Ni?a brand jalapeno agave chips that are produced locally. Those things are the bomb! So it becomes a toss-up between a chip I can functionally eat, and a chip that's just outrageously delicious. What's a body to do? (This is what we call a first world problem.)

Comment

First world problem for sure but only for AB's. SCI'ers have enough BS to sort through that little things like eating guac independently is some good life quality. Have you tried thinning out the guac a bit so you can use your favorite chip? (Which sounds really good btw, how do I try ha?)

Comment

Thinning out the guac? Blasphemy! I agree that something's got to give, but it can't be that. :-)

Send me your address and I'll get a bag of these chips to you once things clear up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by ejl10 View Post
              Thinning out the guac? Blasphemy! I agree that something's got to give, but it can't be that. :-)

Send me your address and I'll get a bag of these chips to you once things clear up a bit.
              No doubt! Also, I found those chips on Amazon but, like a lot of things right now, they are not available so I've added them to one of my Lists so that's cool.

Comment

Mi Ni?a is on Amazon now? Oh boy, it might be time to buy stock!

Comment

Working...
                X