Calories and weight loss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calories and weight loss.

I've read that SCI burn less calories than able bodies - by about 20%. Make sense, because lack of tone and those muscles not doing anything to burn at rest. I have also read that SCI burn the same amount as able bodies and the SCI doesn't make a difference, at rest of course.

Whats the consensus here ? Anyone lose weight by calorie counting ? The reason I ask, is that I have been counting for about 10 days. I punched my info on myfitness pal and set it to lose 1.5lb a week, sorta giving myself some wiggle room if I do indeed burn less calories idle - so actual goal is 1lb a week. Wanna lose like 10-20 pounds. I'm eating no more than 1650 a day. I just hope that's enough.....guess Ill find out in a few months if I do indeed need to eat less that that -_-

Also saw this and might test it out. https://www.digitaltrends.com/wearab...wearable-news/
    Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

I eat quite a bit less than I did pre-injury--C7. My weight is stable. Without much appetite, I have to force myself to eat what I do.

Comment

A pound a week is a pretty steep goal. You can totally lose weight by counting calories though, that's how the whole weight thing works, either you gotta eat less or move more. If you ain't got no legs (or arms) to move, eating (and drinking) less is pretty much your only option.

Comment

I've never tried calorie counting. It just seems impractical and unsustainable. Whenever I've lost weight quickly it's been by cutting out dairy and simple carbs (wheat and sugar) and increasing complex carbs (fruits, veggies) and drinking extra water. Never fails and I can still pig out.

Comment

You can turbo charge your first week with a good quality meal replacement shake for breakfast and lunch and lean protein with steamed veggies for dinner. Unless you have a medical problem, you will see immediate results. I do this not to lose weight but to pull in my belly whenever it gets a bit distended.

Comment

yep, count calories. use a tracker, I use my fitness pal. works great to maintain and stay accountable.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com
            c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
            sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Calorie count using perfect diet tracker, set to lose 5 kg in 3 months, target is about 1500 per day which I have stuck to for months but I have only stayed at the same weight. I came to the conclusion even putting low exercise in as my activity level SCI requires even less than 1500 to lose weight. I can't eat any less, already start shaking as I wait for dinner and need to snack through the day to keep energy level up. C3 so can't do any exercise although do use my FES bike every day which burns about 40 calories for 90 minutes pedalling.

Comment

if you cant exercise 1500 is way to much. I'm very active and exercise daily and I set my daily goal at 1200 to lose a quick 10 after the holidays.

Originally posted by mrb View Post
                Calorie count using perfect diet tracker, set to lose 5 kg in 3 months, target is about 1500 per day which I have stuck to for months but I have only stayed at the same weight. I came to the conclusion even putting low exercise in as my activity level SCI requires even less than 1500 to lose weight. I can't eat any less, already start shaking as I wait for dinner and need to snack through the day to keep energy level up. C3 so can't do any exercise although do use my FES bike every day which burns about 40 calories for 90 minutes pedalling.
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com
                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

[QUOTE=August West;1842011]I've never tried calorie counting. It just seems impractical and unsustainable. Whenever I've lost weight quickly it's been by cutting out dairy and simple carbs (wheat and sugar) and increasing complex carbs (fruits, veggies) and drinking extra water. Never fails and I can still pig out.[/QUOTE

I agree with this approach 100%, it has worked for me.
                  ^^(A)^^

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                    You can turbo charge your first week with a good quality meal replacement shake for breakfast and lunch and lean protein with steamed veggies for dinner. Unless you have a medical problem, you will see immediate results. I do this not to lose weight but to pull in my belly whenever it gets a bit distended.
                    This works great but lots and lots of water
                    ^^(A)^^

Comment

So let me preface this by saying I lift weights and am pretty muscular. I only go twice a week and cardio training is non-existent currently, so I would consider myself on the lower end of athlete in terms of activity level.

The nutrition department at my university has RMR (resting metabolic rate) testing. I studied nutrition in undergrad and always wanted to get this done, but never did pre-injury; I wish I would have so I could compare the effects of SCI on me personally. I'd suggest you guys look up if your nearby university does it, as they'll usually do it for cheap.

For me, my RMR was higher than the standard predictive equation for paraplegia which is 28 kcal/kg for my weight by 135 kcal (nothing really, but I guess that's the effect of muscle). With that said, my RMR is 1458 kcal/day, and 1750-1895 kcal/day after plugging it into the equation with activity factors, etc. It is quite a bit higher than I thought it would be.

The non-gold standard test, which is what I did, requires you to fast in the morning and breathe into a machine while lying down for 20 minutes. Might help some of you to get some numbers, might make tracking and making a game plan easier.
                      Last edited by paraparajumper; 17 Oct 2017, 1:31 PM.

Comment

This may help:
                        What is BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate?
                        Calculate Your Basal Metabolic Rate to Lose Weight

By Malia Frey | Reviewed by a board-certified physician
                        Updated September 26, 2017

https://www.verywell.com/basal-metabolic-rate-1229751

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
                          This may help:
                          What is BMR or Basal Metabolic Rate?
                          Calculate Your Basal Metabolic Rate to Lose Weight

By Malia Frey | Reviewed by a board-certified physician
                          Updated September 26, 2017

https://www.verywell.com/basal-metabolic-rate-1229751
                          Harris Benedict equation tends to overestimate by at least 5% and is not used as much as it used to be. The Mifflin St. Jeor equation is a better predictor and has more activity factors, but for SCI population none of these are great predictors, especially for quads. I'd spend one morning getting indirect calorimetry done if you really want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
                            A pound a week is a pretty steep goal. You can totally lose weight by counting calories though, that's how the whole weight thing works, either you gotta eat less or move more. If you ain't got no legs (or arms) to move, eating (and drinking) less is pretty much your only option.
                            You think so ? I thought 1lb a week was the gold standard target to hit.

Comment

Originally posted by August West View Post
                              I've never tried calorie counting. It just seems impractical and unsustainable. Whenever I've lost weight quickly it's been by cutting out dairy and simple carbs (wheat and sugar) and increasing complex carbs (fruits, veggies) and drinking extra water. Never fails and I can still pig out.
                              Its actually not been to difficult to keep going. I eat pretty clean, but I can also have the occasional treat - like a burger, all while not going over my target. Id rather have a good entr?e than a dessert if I had to choose between the calories. I eat fruits and veggies everyday. I was thinking about going almost vegetarian so I wouldn't have to count calories, but that's difficult because I feel hungrier more often and would constantly have to eat. Like those chimps eating leaves all day.

I don't have much of an appetite either, but its pretty easy to consume way more calories than you think.

Got a kitchen scale coming in tomorrow, with those little black plastic containers. Gonna start getting creative.

Comment

Working...
                              X