No announcement yet.

Calories and weight loss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With regard to BMI, another thing I wonder about is the effect of posture and bone loss on height measurement. I'll use myself as an example, though I think this situation must apply to many, if not most, SCI people.

I used to be 5'6" but am quite stooped now - probably around 3 or 4 inches shorter, if measured upright. But most of my height is still there, it's just in a bent-forward formation. So I don't know whether to state my former height, or a current estimate in the height space on BMI questionnaires. Another factor to take into account is atrophy of the ligaments and fascia that support our bones - height loss can be due to connective tissue laxity, as well as outright bone loss. So I think the BMI picture might be complicated by factors that haven't been medically measured. No doubt I'm being OD on this subject, but I find myself wondering about the applicability of these measurements - we are so different from the general population. I can even imagine situations in which caloric requirements might actually be higher for us than ABs, since we have to compensate for our conditions and that takes energy.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
      With regard to BMI, another thing I wonder about is the effect of posture and bone loss on height measurement. I'll use myself as an example, though I think this situation must apply to many, if not most, SCI people.

I used to be 5'6" but am quite stooped now - probably around 3 or 4 inches shorter, if measured upright. But most of my height is still there, it's just in a bent-forward formation. So I don't know whether to state my former height, or a current estimate in the height space on BMI questionnaires. Another factor to take into account is atrophy of the ligaments and fascia that support our bones - height loss can be due to connective tissue laxity, as well as outright bone loss. So I think the BMI picture might be complicated by factors that haven't been medically measured. No doubt I'm being OD on this subject, but I find myself wondering about the applicability of these measurements - we are so different from the general population. I can even imagine situations in which caloric requirements might actually be higher for us than ABs, since we have to compensate for our conditions and that takes energy.
      Can you still stand to get a standing height measurement?

I can't stand and when asked what my height is by medical personnel, I report my height taken while I am reclining in bed from the top of my head to the bottom of my heel. That measurement is 6'3". Before my injury I measured 6'4". I think that inch of height loss is probably due to bone loss in my spine.

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
        Can you still stand to get a standing height measurement?

I can't stand and when asked what my height is by medical personnel, I report my height taken while I am reclining in bed from the top of my head to the bottom of my heel. That measurement is 6'3". Before my injury I measured 6'4". I think that inch of height loss is probably due to bone loss in my spine.
        Yes, I can stand if I wear my leg brace and have something or someone to support me. But my neck juts forward and I am hunched, so a standing measurement would be 3-4" inches shorter than if I had a straight back - the inches might still be there, but they are not configured in the normal way. I'll have my husband measure me lying down, that's a good idea - but the cervical curve will still be extreme.

Comment

my wife measures me in my stander.
          let me know any side effects you experience. only things i find 1. get cold after 24hrs 2. terrible dry mouth breath.

Yes, I can stand if I wear my leg brace and have something or someone to support me. But my neck juts forward and I am hunched, so a standing measurement would be 3-4" inches shorter than if I had a straight back - the inches might still be there, but they are not configured in the normal way. I'll have my husband measure me lying down, that's a good idea - but the cervical curve will still be extreme.
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com
          c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
          sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
            my wife measures me in my stander.
            let me know any side effects you experience. only things i find 1. get cold after 24hrs 2. terrible dry mouth breath.
            Will do.

My husband measured me last night (lying down) and I was 5'4" - so 2" less than as an AB, but not as bad as I expected.

Now that you're at your goal weight, how have you modified your regimen? Are you keeping to the same schedule, but with increased calories?

Comment

Will do.

My husband measured me last night (lying down) and I was 5'4" - so 2" less than as an AB, but not as bad as I expected.

Now that you're at your goal weight, how have you modified your regimen? Are you keeping to the same schedule, but with increased calories?
              i will back off to 2-24hr fasts and 1200 the other 3 days.
              Bike-on.com rep
              John@bike-on.com

Comment

i will back off to 2-24hr fasts and 1200 the other 3 days.
                That's right, I remember now from another thread that this was your plan. It gives you so much leeway, unlike garden variety daily calorie restriction.

Comment

That's right, I remember now from another thread that this was your plan. It gives you so much leeway, unlike garden variety daily calorie restriction.
                  i may even do 1-36 and 1-24. the fasting has really impacted my quad gut so im assuming im hitting that visceral fat around the organs.
                  Bike-on.com rep
                  John@bike-on.com

Comment

i may even do 1-36 and 1-24. the fasting has really impacted my quad gut so im assuming im hitting that visceral fat around the organs.
                    Excellent! To hit the visceral fat is a very big deal.

Comment

our bodies work similiar to a diabetics.
                      Could you elaborate? Unless SCI all of a sudden makes you insulin resistant or spontaneously kills off pancreatic beta cells, you can't just say stuff like that man. People here will believe it without ever questioning it and just pass it off to the next person.

Originally posted by titanium4motion View Post
                      fuentejps,

What do you use to measure your BMR?

When your BMR rate is cracking how do you know what speed it is at? Kcal/sec? What is the units for BMR?

How do I determine my BMR and how do I keep it cranking?

Ti
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

If you want the easiest way to measure yours, go get an RMR test. It takes 15 minutes and will give you a more accurate reading than an online calculator will.

Comment

Originally posted by paraparajumper View Post
                        Could you elaborate? Unless SCI all of a sudden makes you insulin resistant or spontaneously kills off pancreatic beta cells, you can't just say stuff like that man. People here will believe it without ever questioning it and just pass it off to the next person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate

If you want the easiest way to measure yours, go get an RMR test. It takes 15 minutes and will give you a more accurate reading than an online calculator will.
                        with sci our metabolism changes and effects the way our bodies use insulin. that is what i should have pointed out.
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com

Comment

another good read on IF is eat stop eat. the authors background was in the sports nutrition industry.
                          Excellent! To hit the visceral fat is a very big deal.
                          Bike-on.com rep
                          John@bike-on.com

Comment

another good read on IF is eat stop eat. the authors background was in the sports nutrition industry.
                            Thanks, I'll check that out. Ordered The Obesity Code yesterday.

Comment

the obesity code, its not an easy read but good thou. his other on if is very good.
                              Thanks, I'll check that out. Ordered The Obesity Code yesterday.
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com

Comment

with sci our metabolism changes and effects the way our bodies use insulin. that is what i should have pointed out.
                                Not so sure about that. I would agree our metabolisms change and our BMRs decrease due to a more sedentary lifestyle and loss of muscle mass, but I can't find anything that talks about hormonal change when it comes to insulin, just because someone is paralyzed. If you do have something, pass it along, I'd be interested in reading.

Comment

Working...
                                X