Calories and weight loss.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
    Down another pound. Man, this IF has my metabolism ramped up. Im eating more and still losing. Good problem to have i suppose. Annalisa and i start our holiday(christmas) fun next week, so the extra buffer will be helpful.
    Right, not a bad problem to have, especially with the festivities coming up. Hope you and Annalisa (what a pretty name) have a great time.

I'm doing the 16:8 (sometimes 15:9 or 14:10), and even on that modified IF plan, my metabolism has sped up. I can eat an extraordinary amount some days without gaining. Pretty amazing stuff, this IF.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

The only downside to my weight loss is the cost of new clothes, jeans that I bought less than 6 months ago are now too baggy, another size down has a little room to spare. Sweaters and hoodies now too baggy as well.

Waist has dropped in size but quad belly remains, even more pronounced because of the waist reduction. So how do I shift the belly given that I am C3 complete and can't move?

Comment

Originally posted by mrb View Post
        the only downside to my weight loss is the cost of new clothes, jeans that i bought less than 6 months ago are now too baggy, another size down has a little room to spare. Sweaters and hoodies now too baggy as well.

Waist has dropped in size but quad belly remains, even more pronounced because of the waist reduction. So how do i shift the belly given that i am c3 complete and can't move?
        wow my gut has decreased substantially. Do you have before and now belly shots? I do, huge difference...........i dont mind clothes being bit baggier, i havent lost muscle up top through my shoulders etc but im c5-6 so i am able to train daily still.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

No photos of the belly sadly, got one from a night out last December that prompted a serious diet. Waist has come down 4-5 inches if not more on non bloated days. Can't do any training other than FES bike for legs.

Comment

No photos of the belly sadly, got one from a night out last December that prompted a serious diet. Waist has come down 4-5 inches if not more on non bloated days. Can't do any training other than FES bike for legs.
            as long as you notice and feel better thats what matters. i have weekly pictures up to when i hit goal.

Originally posted by Bonnette View Post
            Right, not a bad problem to have, especially with the festivities coming up. Hope you and Annalisa (what a pretty name) have a great time.

I'm doing the 16:8 (sometimes 15:9 or 14:10), and even on that modified IF plan, my metabolism has sped up. I can eat an extraordinary amount some days without gaining. Pretty amazing stuff, this IF.
            thx. yes IF is all they say it is, im a believer.
            Bike-on.com rep
            John@bike-on.com

Comment

Is there a equation to figure out how many calories you should eat daily? How many calories are you eating daily? What about on weekends?

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
                Is there a equation to figure out how many calories you should eat daily? How many calories are you eating daily? What about on weekends?
                In the version of IF I'm doing, there is no difference between weekdays and weekends - what matters is the length of time between your last meal of one day and your first meal of the next. So since there are 24 hours in a day, a 16:8 ratio means that you eat only between the hours of, say, 8 AM and 4 PM; you fast for sixteen hours after that. 15:9 = eat between 8 AM and 5 PM, and so on.

For the plan to work best, it's important to keep a clean fast - meaning nothing but water, black coffee or tea (no creamer or sweetener, even stevia) during the fasting hours. No coughdrops or gum during the fast, either.

During the hours that you eat, you can have pretty much anything you want (within reason) because what makes this plan work is that during the fasting period, your body is burning actual fat and not glucose - your metabolism revs up as a result.

That said, I do count calories because it's second nature to me and I actually enjoy keeping track. For weight loss, 1000 calories/day works for me - on maintenance, I've found that I can allow myself about 1700 calories/day, but some days I go way over that amount and stay the same weight. The trick is to go right back on the plan after a big splurge, before your body gets the idea that it should start hoarding calories.

As far as calorie calculations go, if you know how many calories per day it takes to maintain your weight, subtract 500 from that number to lose 1 lb/week; or 1000 calories per day to lose 2 lb/week. But with IF, you'll lose weight faster because of the chemical changes that go on in your body, leading to faster metabolism and thus speedier weight loss.

Here's the takeaway: the physiology is complex, but in practice the plan is EASY.

Edited to add: If you make sure to get most of your calories from food that your body can actually use - basic food groups, good nutrition - you'll have a great deal of energy on the plan.

Fuentejps is on another version of IF where he fasts a certain number of days per week. That's what's great about IF - there are different approaches and it's really customizable.
                Last edited by Bonnette; 13 Oct 2018, 5:43 PM. Reason: Addition

Comment

In the version of IF I'm doing, there is no difference between weekdays and weekends - what matters is the length of time between your last meal of one day and your first meal of the next. So since there are 24 hours in a day, a 16:8 ratio means that you eat only between the hours of, say, 8 AM and 4 PM; you fast for sixteen hours after that. 15:9 = eat between 8 AM and 5 PM, and so on.

For the plan to work best, it's important to keep a clean fast - meaning nothing but water, black coffee or tea (no creamer or sweetener, even stevia) during the fasting hours. No coughdrops or gum during the fast, either.

During the hours that you eat, you can have pretty much anything you want (within reason) because what makes this plan work is that during the fasting period, your body is burning actual fat and not glucose - your metabolism revs up as a result.

That said, I do count calories because it's second nature to me and I actually enjoy keeping track. For weight loss, 1000 calories/day works for me - on maintenance, I've found that I can allow myself about 1700 calories/day, but some days I go way over that amount and stay the same weight. The trick is to go right back on the plan after a big splurge, before your body gets the idea that it should start hoarding calories.

As far as calorie calculations go, if you know how many calories per day it takes to maintain your weight, subtract 500 from that number to lose 1 lb/week; or 1000 calories per day to lose 2 lb/week. But with IF, you'll lose weight faster because of the chemical changes that go on in your body, leading to faster metabolism and thus speedier weight loss.

Here's the takeaway: the physiology is complex, but in practice the plan is EASY.

Edited to add: If you make sure to get most of your calories from food that your body can actually use - basic food groups, good nutrition - you'll have a great deal of energy on the plan.

Fuentejps is on another version of IF where he fasts a certain number of days per week. That's what's great about IF - there are different approaches and it's really customizable.
                  Thanks for the information. Does it matter what time of the day you eat and fast? 16:8 eat between 12pm-8pm then fast from 8pm-12pm.

Comment

Originally posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
                    Thanks for the information. Does it matter what time of the day you eat and fast? 16:8 eat between 12pm-8pm then fast from 8pm-12pm.
                    No - it's entirely up to you.

Comment

Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com

Comment

belly shot from saturday
                        Attached Files
                        Bike-on.com rep
                        John@bike-on.com

Comment

Wow, looking fit dude. Good for you!

Comment

Originally posted by Patton57 View Post
                            Wow, looking fit dude. Good for you!
                            You sure are!

Comment

thx guys
                              Bike-on.com rep
                              John@bike-on.com

Comment

down a total of 25 pounds this week. and i start therapy with exsoskeleton on monday!
                                T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Comment

Working...
                                X