kefir

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kefir

using this as a probiotic. I had to back off as it was WORKING to well. any other experiences with this stuff
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

anyone?
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
      anyone?
      I use Lifeway brand plain kefir, and make my own yogurt. It's fantastic stuff, especially after having to do a course of antibiotics i load up on the kefir heavy for a week. And yes, it's made a big difference in bowel function, i no longer need to take laxatives.

Comment

I have taken kefir when on antibiotics. I can't really say if it has helped or not. I have taken a good quality probiotic capsule for years. There seems to be a lot of study and discussion on gut microbes these days.

Here is an interesting discussion on probiotics from NPR, "Fresh Air" program if you are interested:
        http://www.npr.org/2016/08/18/490432...obes-within-us

Comment

yep that's what I use but flavored. it definetly keeps things moving. I started after few course of abx had me messed up. actually tested pos for cdiff toxins but by the time the test came back all symptoms were gone. so did not treat. not sure if it was the kefir that knocked it down or not. my doc said many times in younger patients just the abx clearing your system will do it if cdiff isn't bad
          Originally posted by giles88 View Post
          I use Lifeway brand plain kefir, and make my own yogurt. It's fantastic stuff, especially after having to do a course of antibiotics i load up on the kefir heavy for a week. And yes, it's made a big difference in bowel function, i no longer need to take laxatives.
          ches, good read. basically those drs think probiotics are snake oil, am I reading that right??
          Originally posted by ChesBay View Post
          I have taken kefir when on antibiotics. I can't really say if it has helped or not. I have taken a good quality probiotic capsule for years. There seems to be a lot of study and discussion on gut microbes these days.

Here is an interesting discussion on probiotics from NPR, "Fresh Air" program if you are interested:
          http://www.npr.org/2016/08/18/490432...obes-within-us
          Bike-on.com rep
          John@bike-on.com

Comment

I make my own kefir, fill a mason with milk and put the grains in, leave it on the counter for 24 hours, strain it and reuse the grains for the next batch. I eat some of the grains, cause they grow too fast, they have the texture of gummies.
            No comparison to the commercial stuff, the homemade is much better.

If you are interested look up the kefir lady in the internet, she has lots of info, you can even make cheese with the kefir.
            "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
              yep that's what I use but flavored. it definetly keeps things moving. I started after few course of abx had me messed up. actually tested pos for cdiff toxins but by the time the test came back all symptoms were gone. so did not treat. not sure if it was the kefir that knocked it down or not. my doc said many times in younger patients just the abx clearing your system will do it if cdiff isn't bad

ches, good read. basically those drs think probiotics are snake oil, am I reading that right??
              I think if it's working for you it's worth sticking with.

Comment

Originally posted by trekker6 View Post
                I make my own kefir, fill a mason with milk and put the grains in, leave it on the counter for 24 hours, strain it and reuse the grains for the next batch. I eat some of the grains, cause they grow too fast, they have the texture of gummies.
                If you are interested look up the kefir lady in the internet, she has lots of info, you can even make cheese with the kefir.
                That sounds great, trekker6!
                Fuentejps, you mentioned C diff. For any bad stomach ache, I take oregano oil (in an empty capsule) and betaine hydrochloric acid (drops into water.)
                Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage View Post
                  That sounds great, trekker6!
                  Fuentejps, you mentioned C diff. For any bad stomach ache, I take oregano oil (in an empty capsule) and betaine hydrochloric acid (drops into water.)
                  I cannot recommend that as a treatment for c. diff. People die from c. diff. infection of the bowels. It is not something to treat with home remedies.

(KLD)
                  The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Yeah I make it. Need to buy some more grains. I would drink it plain or sweeten it with stevia and add cinnamon or vanilla extract and orange peel oil. I drank like a quart a day, I got tired of making it . Gut health is important. I take it for sure after I've stopped taken antibiotics.
                    Canadian bacon is a fraud !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by trekker6 View Post

I love this and am going to look into it.
                      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I make my own with raw milk. I blend a banana in the kefir instead of adding sugar. If you are getting adverse reactions to the store bought stuff, maybe there is some lactose in it. Because kefir grains are a culture that consume lactose and create probiotics, the longer you let it ferment the less lactose there will be and more probiotics there will be. You can let it ferment extra long at home to get all the lactose out. It's a simple process. Aside from the advertised benefits, kefir is so full of nutrition and filling that it can replace your breakfast if you want to lose weight. The benefits are many. It helps me to tolerate gluten much better.

Comment

Working...
                        X