Prunes - Help With Constipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prunes - Help With Constipation

Hello everyone ! I'm currently dealing with constipation and I'm looking for something other than Miralax (what my GI Doctor wanted me to use) to try. I've been fighting constipation for the past week and a half. Are prunes a safe option to go with ? Like baby food prunes, prune juice and jarred prunes. Does anyone have any experience with this ? How much should you eat/drink ? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance !
    www.adventuresofcolinandheather.blogspot.com !

H Colin,

Sorry to hear the trouble you are having.

Prunes wont hurt. I eat two each night before my M/W/F am bp... But that's just to help. I'm not constipated or vice versa.

All Bran buds (Psylium fiber) and LOTS of water helps.

Perhaps a stool softener (or increase in) to get you past this rough patch....

Good luck. Fun and games, eh?

Comment

I drink a can of 5.5 floz 163ml prune juice every day with Psylium fiber. Seems to help.
      I try and eat prunes, but keep forgetting !!

Comment

steel cut oatmeal for breakfast

lentils-excellent fiber content

benefiber soluble fiber in AM

gummie fiber drops-25% of recommended daily fiber amt

Comment

I don't know how it is for others.. but Oatmeal, seems to leave me really bloated, and I can't shift the gas, it becomes crazy uncomfortable. Just bought some gripe water... what babies use for shifting gas ??? figure be worth a try.

Comment

For immediate relief prunes might work for some, did not work for me. High fiber plus water is the key at least for me, steamed vegetables, fresh salads and fruits good for the body, easy on the stomach and all moves the bowels. Also consuming ground flax seeds on daily basis works for me.
            c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Comment

I started consuming either lentils, red beans, and black-eyed peas on a regular basis for an additional source of fiber and it has made a significant difference in my bowel routine. They really pack a punch in terms of their grams of fiber as I was slightly low in my daily fiber total content and this brought me up to the recommended daily amount for someone with bowel issues.

Comment

I eat 7-8 prunes with breakfast daily. I do my bp daily (6:30 AM) as well.
                T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

Prunes are good for getting a bowel movement when you need one. I like prunes, but not daily. I eat them maybe once a week, if I feel the need. They do taste good with some cottage cheese and pecans, but the cheese and nuts would tend to counteract the laxative property of the prunes. I keep prune juice in the fridge. I think the juice works faster. One glass is enough.
                  Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

I've found another good source of fiber. Mango peel! I made homemade pineapple preserves and, instead of adding pectin, I put finely chopped mango peel. I'd been eating a lot of mangoes, so I had fresh peel. The pineapple-mango peel preserves were spectacularly delicious. I also used organic sugar. So, even though this isn't something that you would take regularly as a laxative, it does give you good fiber. And, any fiber that we can eat as a delicious food is an improvement over a fiber deficient diet...and some of the other not-so-tasty fiber drinks.

Here's an article that includes information on eating mango peel. See under heading 3 Mango Fruit Peels. https://www.researchgate.net/profile...s-A-review.pdf
                    Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

Organic sugar is like sea salt, the body doesn't know the difference as the molecular structure is all the same. One must be careful of consuming too much sugar in the form of fruit sugar. Lentils and beans pack a serious punch in terms of fiber content. Make a big pot and then and consume just a little bit on a regular basis to help out with regularity.

Fiber gummies are also good. Pop just 2 and you have taken care of 20% of your days fiber. Add a cup of citrucel and you can come pretty close to ensuring hundred percent of required fiber. Benefiber soluble fiber can be added to anything to add fiber without taste.

Comment

Kombucha is sold as a bottled fermented drink at grocery stores. It comes 'natural' and in many flavors, such as: ginger, strawberry, mango, or cranberry. I bought two bottles of it last week, at the suggestion of another paralyzed person. It has given me great results in moving my bowels. I suggest drinking only about a third of the bottle when first trying it out. It's VERY effective.
                        Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage View Post
                          Kombucha is sold as a bottled fermented drink at grocery stores. It comes 'natural' and in many flavors, such as: ginger, strawberry, mango, or cranberry. I bought two bottles of it last week, at the suggestion of another paralyzed person. It has given me great results in moving my bowels. I suggest drinking only about a third of the bottle when first trying it out. It's VERY effective.
                          I like the ginger kombucha. I'll mix half kombucha, half sparkling water and it's like drinking a mocktail.

Comment

I'm so glad to hear another success story about kombucha, Tman9513. Yes, adding the sparkling water does sound like it would improve the experience. Last week, I used half a bottle of my GT kombucha to start a culture of my own. I made green tea and sweetened it with organic sugar, added some store-bought gingerade, covered it, and waited 6 days. Delicious! I bottled it and put the bottle in the refridgerator. Then I made more sweetened green tea and added the delicate little scoby that had formed on top of my first batch,...and I now apparently have a kombucha factory. Off to a slow start, but a lot of fun. And I should eventually be saving some money by making my own.
                            Last edited by Vintage; 12 Aug 2017, 9:17 PM.
                            Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

I'll second stool softeners if you really need help. I've been using them for years with great success and no unwelcome surprises.
                              I still play hard http://www.miata.net/motm/2007/thomson.html

Comment

Working...
                              X