chopping onions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chopping onions?

I seem to tear up more when chopping onions than when I could stand. I guess it is because my face is so much closer to the onions when I am sitting.

Any advice on chopping onions?

I have one recipe that requires 6 pounds of onions. When I made it, my throat was burning for an hour or so, and my face was red from all that chopping.

Food processor! Works wonders for chopping onions, just don't open it right away and stick your nose in or you will get a huge blast of the fumes.

Otherwise, here are some tips to try: http://lifehacker.com/tested-the-bes...ions-476088845

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

6 lbs, wow, I can't make it through 2 onions. I actually use a fan to blow it away.

Comment

Also, just wondering if one could par boil the skinned, whole onions, then when pretty tender, cool them completely and chop. I make creamed onions and may try this.

Comment

I use a food processor. Also, if you light a candle and put near you it helps mask the onion aroma that makes you cry. To get onion smell off hands if using a knife, rub your hands over a metal spoon with dish soap, something in the metal helps remove the scent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
            6 lbs, wow, I can't make it through 2 onions. I actually use a fan to blow it away.
            It was for an onion soup recipe, very good actually, here: http://www.alexandracooks.com/2014/0...ch-onion-soup/ .

Comment

Very sharp knives are the key. Doesn't "tear" the onion as much releasing whatever it is to make you tear/cry. I have a really good electric sharpener I use.

Comment

Place onions in the frig and chill them; also, as Steve mentioned, use a sharp knife.

Or just harden up some more

Comment

A food processor is the perfect thing. You can slice or chop the onions for your soup. I also have found that removing my contacts and wearing my glasses helps. If doing by hand, a sharp knife is necessary. But that is the only kind you should be using anyway as it is really safer than a dull one.--eak
                  Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
                  mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
                  Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

I read a tip in a magazine years ago that works great for me because I love to chop by hand.
                    Clear lens swim goggles.

(But for six pounds of onions I would go to the food processor!)

Comment

I wear swim goggles, and also put a wad of tissue up each nostril. That gets me through chopping multiple onions without any reaction, and isn't too uncomfortable for even the longest sessions! If you are chopping on a board in your lap, it goes well with a newly sharpened knife and first cutting the onion in half, then julienne or dice from there--it won't slip as much.

Comment

Sorry, but I had to chuckle over the swim goggles and also tissue up nostril. We definitely need photos on that!!

Comment

Working...
                        X