No announcement yet.

Tips for Cooking Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there really is nothing like a good roasted potato when it roasts in the juices and fat of the meat.

just because ur brother has this novo pen doesnt mean you can still serve him sugary things. i'd forgo the marshmellows. i highly recommend patti labelle's cookbook for diabetics. some great recipes.

you can bake the sweet potatoes/yams ahead of time and this concentrates their sweetness so you dont need to add as much sugar.

turkey: BUTTER BUTTER BUTTER!!!!!!!! my mom and i make a compound butter (softened butter with season salt, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper and a bit of rosemary) and then we separate the skin from the meat, cut little slits in the flesh and them stuff the butter under the skin. then you need to sprinkle a little salt on the skin. the cavity gets oranges, onions and garlic cloves and it roasts in the oven 20 - 30min/pound on 300 - 350. my mom does breast side down for 3/4 of cooking time, then flips it over to brown. i'm too lazy/bird is too heavy for that.

great desserts are fruit parfaits(you can make ahead of time), bread pudding, lava cakes(less sugar, no flour)...
    "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
    http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Timaru View Post
      Hah! This from the land of Ronald Macdonald and Colonel Sanders!

Will get my SO to knock up your potato and leek mash, sounds good.
      It is killer, that recipe was off the top of my head so depending on how starchy the potatoes are you may have to add a little milk at the end if they are dry. Also don't forget pepper.

@lynnifer: yeah I cook, no sammiches though try the bacon wrapped turkey, it is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by crypticgimp View Post
        there really is nothing like a good roasted potato when it roasts in the juices and fat of the meat.
        Totally. But better with something like a leg of lamb or prime rib than turkey.

Comment

Originally posted by t8burst View Post
          Totally. But better with something like a leg of lamb or prime rib than turkey.
          mmmmmhhmmmm i'm drooling lol
          "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
          http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

If you're getting a 'good' unprocessed turkey you will certainly need to brine. 3 methods of brining, dry brine, soak brine or injecting brine. I inject brine, it's simple, you don't need a large container to soak it in, etc.

Brining can be used to simply add moisture or to add moisture and flavor. If you decide to inject brine, buy an injection needle, you can get them for $5 from WalMart. Make a simple brine (1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup sugar (white or brown), 1 quart of cold water) mix until all the salt and sugar is dissolved. Add in any herbs or spices you want as well, just make sure they will go through the needle or strain before you begin to inject. The night before or up to a couple hours before pump the turkey in the breast, wings, legs and thighs, it will soak it all up. Cook the turkey on a raised pan at 350º until the breast hits 160º and the thighs are at least 170º. Tent with foil for at least an hour to rest and distribute the residual heat. DO NOT fret if you notice pink or even a hint of blood in the thigh joints. If you have a reliable thermometer, you're safe. Hope this helps.
            Larry
            ------
            Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Comment

I decided I'll wing it - get it haha - and combine SCI & CG's method.

Will try to get some butter under the skin and some sea salt/freshly ground black peppercorns on top. I'm tempted to throw some Montreal chicken spice in the roasting water or chicken stock - haven't decided yet (do you guys have that spice the States?) for the gravy I'll make afterwards. Stuffing it too - just with store-bought Stouffers.

I was literally in my early twenties the last time I cooked an entire bird for a dinner party of friends. I have a roasting pan with rack .. will need to tent it with foil. I'd like to have a nice brown crisp to the outside ... but I forgot to buy a baster today dammit! I'll have my bro carve - if he shows.

My mother had an excellent turkey roasting deal ... but it sits on the farm unless my bro threw it out ... good thing I grabbed all my childhood photos when I left at 18. Turns out he burned the rest - temper, temper. lol Guess I should give the silverware I have to my nephew and his g/f soon as I have no one to pass any of that crap to.

Went to a bakery today and purchased diabetic cookies as 'my other diabetic brother' is coming to visit tomorrow and pick up the gift that I bought him for his g/f ... and he wants me to wrap it. He better have the cash because this is his trick!

Now if my sister or this brother finds out I hosted the black sheep of the family for Christmas, they'll never speak to me again. lol! Gotta love the holidays.

Somewhere out there is a family I should have been born into. lol
              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Bah, english and their horrid "cuisine".

- Potato-Leek Puree

- 3 to 4 good size leeks, cut off the root end and leave about an 1 1/2 inch of the green stuff. Split down the middle and rinse out the dirt
                - stick in boiling water for 10 minutes with 4 cloves of garlic
                - drain and saute leeks and garlic over low heat with a half stick of butter and some salt till leeks are nice and soft.
                - let cool and put in food processor and puree

- peel 2-3 pounds of yukon golds, quarter and put in salted boiling water till fork soft
                - drain
                - add salt, pepper, one of those small things of cream cheese and pureed garlic and leeks
                - mash with masher thingie, ricer or if lazy throw it in a kitchen aid mixer

Best mashed potatoes ever.
                I am totally stealing this. Cheers!

Comment

Dude, make it easy.
                  Stick in the oven at 350 for about 10 mins. Pull it out, rub it all over with butter, and then tent it with foil. Put it back in until done (165 degrees) base the time on the label (e.g. 20 lb turkey takes about 4 hours). Remove the foil and put it back in for another 10 mins. You get a supremely juicy turkey, crispy skin, and no need to babysit the bird!
                  Rebecca
                  Wife and Caregiver, husband has Secondary Progressive MS, wheelchair bound, unable to work, MS still progressing.
                  Mother of 2 active boys!

Comment

Originally posted by Scaper1 View Post
                    I am totally stealing this. Cheers!
                    Cool, you will love it. Been making it for 20 years and people rave about it every time. I had potato-leek soup a long time ago and it was so good I figured it had to be good in mashed taters as well. People have tried their own variations, but to me if you don't put in the cream cheese you are missing out.

Comment

Cream cheese is a great thickener. I keep blocks of it in the freezer for use in soups and sauces. Haven't tried it in potatoes yet though.

Comment

Cool, you will love it. Been making it for 20 years and people rave about it every time. I had potato-leek soup a long time ago and it was so good I figured it had to be good in mashed taters as well. People have tried their own variations, but to me if you don't put in the cream cheese you are missing out.
                        No kidding, I'm stealing this one as well. Leak and potato are the bomb!

Comment

Originally posted by Knight's Wife View Post
                          Dude, make it easy.
                          Stick in the oven at 350 for about 10 mins. Pull it out, rub it all over with butter, and then tent it with foil. Put it back in until done (165 degrees) base the time on the label (e.g. 20 lb turkey takes about 4 hours). Remove the foil and put it back in for another 10 mins. You get a supremely juicy turkey, crispy skin, and no need to babysit the bird!
                          In last minute haste, I went with this. Thank you!!! LOL
                          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Procedure itself makes me to eat the turkey now itself!!Very yummy dish.Lots of people will fail to cook and they use very excess oil and with heavy stuff!It is really very yummy!!

Comment

Working...
                            X