Foods easy for quads to cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foods easy for quads to cook

As I am spending more time home alone I'm really looking to be able to cook myself a small meal. What are some of the easier things that you have found to cook? My kitchen is not that accessible however I can access a small mini fridge and microwave plus the oven. my only worry is with hot foods to make sure I don't burn myself
    C5 as of 6-13- 2010

i bought a roast oven off qvc for 69.00 that i bake and cook in its on counter easy for me to use
    . i use my crockpot to cook chicken and all kinds of things

i also cook a lot at one time and freeze . i only use my oven for large batches of cookies and that is always and adventure.

i cut the bottom board out of my sink so i can roll underneath to wash dishes.

i also have a talble set up on bricks to roll underneather with my griddle on to make pancakes

Comment

I find my grill easiest to cook on. but i also realize not everyone has one. but when i first started making my own meals again i found my george foreman grill the cure all. very simple to use and clean (wet paper towel while still warm).
      i cooked everything on it boneless chicken breast, burgers , boneless pork chops, sausage, dogs .... hope this helps a bit ....

Comment

crockpot. agree the forman grill is very quad friendly. b4 i was married i'd cook my meat on sunday, enough for the week.
        Bike-on.com rep
        John@bike-on.com
        c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
        sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

One recommendation I would make is to get a wooden cutting board that fits perfectly on you lap. Not only can you use it for the obvious purpose (use scissors if a knife is not a good idea-also there are special gloves that are cut proof) but it works great when handling hot food. You can put that board on you lap (as long as it covers very well) and put a hot pan on the board.

My biggest suggestion is that you start cooking with someone else available in case... Once you get comfortable, you will love doing it on your own. Find a way to the farmers market a couple of times a week as veggies are easy and healthy. Remember that even most of us AB's cannot accomplish a 30 minute meal so there really is no rush as long as you practice food safety-no chicken on the counter for 3 hours.--eak
          Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
          mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
          Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09

Comment

Originally posted by ekephart View Post
            One recommendation I would make is to get a wooden cutting board that fits perfectly on you lap. Not only can you use it for the obvious purpose (use scissors if a knife is not a good idea-also there are special gloves that are cut proof) but it works great when handling hot food. You can put that board on you lap (as long as it covers very well) and put a hot pan on the board.
            Couldn't live without my cutting board!

Comment

Be very careful carrying hot liquids on a board on your lap. If they slosh out of the container and run over the board onto your lap, you can still get a bad burn. Try to cover any pans like this, and if possible, set up your kitchen so you can slide hot pans along the counter instead of having to place them on your lap...even on a wooden board.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

be carefiul using rice cooker i just burnt the shit outta my 2 middle fingers grabbing the lid not paying attention to the steam hole.......
                Bike-on.com rep
                John@bike-on.com
                c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
                  Be very careful carrying hot liquids on a board on your lap. If they slosh out of the container and run over the board onto your lap, you can still get a bad burn. Try to cover any pans like this, and if possible, set up your kitchen so you can slide hot pans along the counter instead of having to place them on your lap...even on a wooden board.

(KLD)
                  That is why I use a stack of 4 of those disposable styrofoam rectangular shaped dishes on my lap. It is an excellent insulator, has sides to contain splashed liquid, and the serving dividers reinforce it enough to handle all but really heavy stuff. Also they are light weight and when the top one gets dirty it can be tossed and replaced. I use them all the time when I microwave things.
                  You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                  http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                  http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I cook pasta, chicken breasts, steam vegatables, baked potatos. I love these marie callanders pot pies that you pop in the oven. I cook simple food.
                    A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

The instant soups made by Dr. McDougall's and Nile Spice
                      are good choices when food prep and cooking are difficult.
                      I order these from amazon,
                      there's a lot of variety in these two lines of products.

Comment

I’m a C-5 quad with good wrist flexion and cook all the time now that I live on my own. I recommend getting a counter top induction cook top for easy access to cooking with frying pans, and pots. They use special pans but only the pan heats up so if you somehow knock the unit to the floor or lap it won’t set you on fire like the cheap portable stove elements. And they can be placed on any counter or portable folding table for ease of access. Plus if you splash butter or oil on the element it won’t flame up in your face. Had that happen before trying to get butter in the pan frying hash browns. Also a quality counter top toaster oven is very handy for baking small meals and reheating left over pizza. In fact I like my pizza better the day after toasted crispy in the oven in 5 minutes. As for handling hot pots and pans QUADTOOLS.COM make a great wrist actuated pot holder for quads that works great along with an amazing quad knife that is by far the best knife for those lacking finger function. With this equipment you can make almost any meal you want with ease.

But until then with what you have access to I recommend. Deli sliced turkey, chicken, or roast beef, with caned gravy over instant mashed potatoes with any canned veggie of your choice or skip potato’s and put on toast is good too.
                        Eggs and bacon can be microwaved as well as any soup or chili.
                        Any kind of sandwich hot or cold.
                        Microwave Macaroni and cheese singles with diced ham and broccoli is good too.
                        Almost all kinds of pasta can be microwaved in small amounts.
                        Mix with choice of sauce pepperoni pieces shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy.
                        Most stores that sell seafood will steam it free.
                        Salads come pre mixed in bags add sliced deli meat shredded cheese and dressing of choice.
                        Be creative and there is no end to what you can make.

Comment

I love the Ziploc microwave steamer bags. There's also a lot of frozen veggies you can buy already packaged in a microwaveable bag. Grills are good. I use wooden spatulas/spoons so they don't get too hot and you can hold it in your teeth if needed. a rocker knife is easier and safer to cut with.

Comment

Safe hot dish transport

This cake taker by Emsa allows me to move hot dishes, even a bowl of soup, in and out of the microwave. I can slip one hand under the straps and use the other arm to stabilize myself while reaching forward. The lid fits tightly into a deep groove in the base, so even if I spill some hot liquid (haven't yet except as a test) the liquid stays contained and I stay dry. It doubles as a microwave splatter guard. I bought it from Amazon.

Comment

My kitchen is large but it is not set up for wheelchair friendly cooking or dishes. I make it work. Thankfully we have cabinets all the way around it so I store my dishes and cooking pans ect...in the bottom cabinets and use the upper cabinets as storage for things we never use or that aren't pressing if I have to wait for someone to reach it for me.

I use a cutting board on my lap at all times while I'm cooking. I have a rubber finish over the top of it so that stuff doesn't slide. I just try to be extra careful when carrying boiling pots of water over to the sink to drain. The cutting board has saved my skin more times than I can count.

My microwave is above the stove so I have to be super careful when I use it. I mostly only use the steams bags in the microwave for veggies. I don't eat a lot of microwaved foods.

When I cook on the stove or do dishes I just roll up next to each of them so they are at my side rather than up to them where they are in front of me. I just twist a little while using them. I do dishes as I use them and throw them straight in to the dish washer. The twisting is not hurtful all because I never have to do it for long periods of time since I don't let the dishes stack up. I absolutely hate having dishes in the sink. Washing them as I go makes it much easier for me.

I love cooking with my newwave oven most of the time. It is a table top/counter top oven and works great. I cook meat loaf, chicken, pork, steak, burgers, potatoes ect in it. I also use the vitamix for juices, soups, chopping, mixing ect....both are easy to clean and you can move them to a table to cook rather than the tall counter tops.

Looking back, I wish I had made our kitchen with a roll under sink and stove when we had it built in 2005.

Give the newwave a try. There are not many limits to what you can cook in that thing.
                              DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

Working...
                              X