Microwave *cringe, I know...*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microwave *cringe, I know...*

We moved and it'll be a while until our kitchen is renovated with a cooktop range and inset oven. In the meantime, we have a microwave and BBQ. Pretty unsafe for me to grill, and when the hubby's working late, I'm forced to cook dinner in the microwave. Hate. It. But, for now it's what I have. So- I need recipes. Fairly simple, but I'm running outta inspiration. And, can you cook pasta in a microwave? I tried, and it ended up looking like reconstituted brains.

Anyone?

Get a gas grill. It can be used like a gas range, safely and easily.
    Microwave pasta = YUCK

Comment

I think 'baked' potatoes are a decent, natural, nukable food. Easy, too. I'll toss a couple of 'taters in, then top them off 'loaded' style.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Get a portable induction cooktop that can be used anywhere.

Comment

A kitchen renovation can take a long time. You could get a single induction cooking burner like this (see picture) and be able to expand your options over a BBQ grill and a microwave. This particular unit is available at Target for around $70.00. These induction units work with any flat bottomed fry, saute, or sauce pan.

NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)

Comment

I'm not buying any appliances, we're putting in the range and oven when we renovate...that's why I'm asking for microwave recipes, not suggestions on purchases!

Comment

Do you have a crock pot? Lots of good easy things in those.

My daughter likes to do these in the mw sometimes
              http://www.villabertolli.com/product...-from-bertolli

Also I recently tried corn on the cob in the microwave thanks to a suggestion from sjean. Wrap in wax paper with some butter inside. It's ok that way. I can't figure out the correct time though.
              If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

I have a new wave oven! Rarely used stove or oven since I got it. Grilling fish in it now!
                DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

Originally posted by anban View Post
                  I'm not buying any appliances, we're putting in the range and oven when we renovate...that's why I'm asking for microwave recipes, not suggestions on purchases!
                  Sorry it was just a thought. I have one of these that I used during our 5 month kitchen renovation, when I cooked in our laundry room and it was great. Now, I store it away and love having it around the holidays for an extra burner or to take outdoors during summer BBQ season.

NL (GJ's wife and caregiver)

Comment

There is a good selection of microwave entrees and meals in most supermarkets. We keep a supply in the freezer. Most are decent.
                    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

I second a Crock-Pot. You can get a knoxk-off version for $15 at WallyWorld. You can create just about anything divide it, freeze it amd micro later. I will have to think about actual micro recipes-I am a big poyayoe eatter so but you can't do that every day. What about prefab rice with steamed veggies and the precooked chicken you can get in deli section. Add a sauce of somesort and your aet. I got portable burners from Target for $28. I KNOW, you don't want to buy anything, but it might be worth it depending how long the install takes.
                      "Nothing ventured, nothing gained." - My Grammie

Comment

Trader Joe's is your friend! Check the frozen entree aisle. Each week try 3 new things. It's summer - eat light! Lots of salads with cheese or chicken on top (try the marinated cooked chicken at Trader's in the refrigerated section).

Pretty much all fresh vegetables can steam extremely well in the microwave and you can cook to perfection.

Comment

Originally posted by addiesue View Post
                          Do you have a crock pot? Lots of good easy things in those.
                          Addie nailed it. Crock pot.

Comment

I use steam bags in the microwave for veggies, potatoes, rice ect....I love those bags!
                            DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

Watch the nutritional content on frozen entrees especially if eating them so often. Even the Smart Ones and Healthy Choice are loaded with sodium, fats, and cholesterol. Crockpot is best.
                              Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Working...
                              X