Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Serve Coffee Maker

Hey All!

I use a single serve coffee maker so that I don't have to pour hot coffee into a cup (dangerous for me ) Anyways, I had a Keurig for a while, but it started to leak. Then, last Christmas I got a Tassimo brewer and I like it, but the selection of pods is quite limited and I'm a Timmies girl (They don't have Tim Hortons pods) so I am thinking of going and buying a Hamilton Beach Scoop later this afternoon. Does anyone have feedback on this coffee maker?

Jess

I didn't check, but there is a coffee site www.coffeegeek.com that offers all sorts of reviews and interesting articles for those of us who loves us our java.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
      I didn't check, but there is a coffee site www.coffeegeek.com that offers all sorts of reviews and interesting articles for those of us who loves us our java.

Checked that website out and didn't find much about this coffee maker, but I purchased it tonight and am extremely excited about the fact that in the morning I will be able to make a cup of Timmies

Comment

Don't want to rain on your parade, but have to. The problem with most regular coffemakers is that they do not brew at a hot enough temp to extract the best flavors for a cup of coffee.

I hope you are not disappointed in the AM, but I fear you will be. Yeah, the keurig cost a lot to buy, but you do get the best coffee because they brew at a higher temp than most coffeemakers can. I have never had any trouble with my 2+ year old keurig, but I checked the reviews and a lot of people do.

Adding more coffee to the basket will not help either. Research coffee makers that can brew at sufficient temps and then purchase according to your needs.
        Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

i have a single serve french press. it's awesome and doubles as a travel mug but i find with that much grounds it gets bitter. still, it's pretty damn cool
          "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
          http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

Originally posted by crypticgimp View Post
            i have a single serve french press. it's awesome and doubles as a travel mug but i find with that much grounds it gets bitter. still, it's pretty damn cool

Skippy, you had to burst mt bubble why?

CG,

What exactly is a french press? How does it work?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_press
              "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
              http://www.elportavoz.com/

Comment

French presses do leave a lot of grounds in the cup. You could strain through a filter to pour, I guess. Try one of those melitta type that sits on top of the cup?
                Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

Originally posted by skippy13 View Post
                  French presses do leave a lot of grounds in the cup. You could strain through a filter to pour, I guess. Try one of those melitta type that sits on top of the cup?

Hmmm. Also, the pricing of the Kuerig wasn't what stopped me. it's the fact that I couldn't make my Tim Hortons coffee without the filter and I had a really hard time using it whereas this is just a scoop you put in the maker. I want to know how to make Tim Hortons made at home taste like the stuff they make at the store.

Comment

Originally posted by wheeliegirl2010 View Post
                    Hmmm. Also, the pricing of the Kuerig wasn't what stopped me. it's the fact that I couldn't make my Tim Hortons coffee without the filter and I had a really hard time using it whereas this is just a scoop you put in the maker. I want to know how to make Tim Hortons made at home taste like the stuff they make at the store.
                    gold*frech*press*filters*are*much*better,*holes*ar e*finer,*less*grouds*till*last*cup.
                    i*dit*even*read*the*whols*thread*,*saw*coffee,*ad* let*me*recommend*the*cold*breing*method*,makes*the *best.
                    there*is*a*kit*i*think*it*may*be*on*amazon.but*ins tructables.com*had*a*heading*post*on*making*cold*b rew.i*am*sure*it*is*with*free*materials.**the**oth er*one*cup*low*cost*device*is*the*
                    syringe*like*thing*that*cost*about*25*bucks,*i*kee p*loosonf*the*end*caps
                    i*habe*about*4*set*ups*all*missing*the*screw*on*en dcap.*it*is*more*like*an*americano*than*cofee,*but *quick*and*3*second*clean*up,*but*you*need*good*ha nd*control*got*thr*syringe*gizmo
                    cauda equina

Comment

Probably the best cup of coffee in the world is obtained by using a Chemex. I have the one with the glass handle and make sure I do the pour over the sink. Because the hot water is gotten right from a boiler of your choice (tea kettle for example) the temp is always optimal, which for coffee is somewhere between 202 and 209F.

http://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/Coffeemakers.htm

I forgot to mention that I can only use the 3 cup size as anything else is too heavy for me to lift.
                      Last edited by Eileen; 4 Dec 2011, 12:19 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Well, I used it today and I'm really happy with the coffee. It cam out very hot and fresh.

Comment

easy to load and clean? I want something low maintenance because I am lazy.

And the single-serve Starbucks instant coffees packets aren't cutting it anymore, flavor-wise.

Comment

Originally posted by tooley View Post
                            easy to load and clean? I want something low maintenance because I am lazy.

And the single-serve Starbucks instant coffees packets aren't cutting it anymore, flavor-wise.

You bet! All you do is take the scoop part and put the grounds in and put the scoop into the maker and boom. To clean it, you just put water in the machine and turn it on and boom!

Comment

"BOOM!" - you now have a catch-phrase.

Or would you prefer it to be your new nickname? "wheelgirl2010" is so 2010.

I'm going to let people know that I want that maker you got for Xmas, hopefully I get 2 - one for home and one for school. Then I'll be wired all the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X