Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still another reason to eat chocolate! :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still another reason to eat chocolate! :)

I love studies with results like this!!

Chocolate Good for the Heart and Brain
    Michael O'Riordan
    August 29, 2011 (Paris, France) — In a city renowned for its love of food, it is only fitting that researchers presented the results of a new study in Paris, France, showing that chocolate is good for the heart and brain. In a presentation at the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) 2011 Congress, British investigators are reporting that individuals who ate the most chocolate had a 37% lower risk of cardiovascular disease and a 29% lower risk of stroke compared with individuals who ate the least amount of chocolate.

In the study, published online August 29, 2011 in BMJ to coincide with the ESC presentation, Dr Adriana Buitrago-Lopez (University of Cambridge, UK) and colleagues state: "Although overconsumption can have harmful effects, the existing studies generally agree on a potential beneficial association of chocolate consumption with a lower risk of cardiometabolic disorders. Our findings confirm this, and we found that higher levels of chocolate consumption might be associated with a one-third reduction in the risk of developing cardiovascular disease."

In this meta-analysis of six cohort studies and one cross-sectional study, overall chocolate consumption was reported, with investigators not differentiating between dark, milk, or white chocolate. Chocolate in any form was included, such as chocolate bars, chocolate drinks, and chocolate snacks, such as confectionary, biscuits, desserts, and nutritional supplements. Chocolate consumption was reported differently in the trials but ranged from never to more than once per day. Most patients included in the trials were white, although one study included Hispanic and African Americans and one study included Asian patients.

You need a reason?

Comment

Great...the studies point to my early demise because I don't like chocolate or red wine.
      Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

Carpe cocoa.
        Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Comment

I have been eating a big chocolate with marzipan today
          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
            You need a reason?
            exactly.
            A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

This is dark chocolate right? The bitter stuff? Not the creamy sugary kind like you'd find in Hersheys? lol

Other than french, I never found a red wine I would buy again. Blech!
              Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by skippy13 View Post
                Great...the studies point to my early demise because I don't like chocolate or red wine.
                Latest research is showing all sorts of health benefits from drinking coffee, so maybe you got that one on your list Skippy?

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                  This is dark chocolate right? The bitter stuff? Not the creamy sugary kind like you'd find in Hersheys? lol

Other than french, I never found a red wine I would buy again. Blech!
                  You don't like Italian red wine? I like Portugese too ;o)
                  TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

We have to have a reason to eat chocolate??? I thought it was a essential food (esp. for women)!!!

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                      !
                      nope, they used both milk and dark chocolate in the study.:
                      C5/6 complete 10/27/2009 MVA

"I'm going to try defying gravity." Elphaba in "Wicked"

Comment

Don't have a sweet tooth.
                        Someone please find me a study saying eating potato chips will make me live long and strong.
                        Aerodynamically, the bumble bee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumble bee doesn't know that, so it goes on flying anyways--Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Working...
                        X