Diabetic Snacks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diabetic Snacks?

On Tuesday, my brother - who is diabetic - and I are headed up to the doctor's again (wound care). I don't expect it to be a great trip because I've had it up to here '-' with complications and waiting lists and bladder/bowel crap. Considering stopping all treatments and foregoing the abdominal surgery because I really can't take much more and if my high taxes can't get me timely health care then I'm not sure I want to be a citizen of this planet anymore. I am really fed up .. I made a slice across my wrist last week but only for mutilation, not for suicide. It felt great. First time ever! I considered scribing 'I AM IN HELL' on my leg so I could read it and there would be that scar forever .. but I digress ...

ANYWAY ...

I normally pack a lunch for us both. Tuna salad with celery - I don't make it any other way. Last time I packed pastrami with mustard ... DID NOT KNOW that diabetics can't eat mustard (said it screws his numbers up) or the pastrami either (sugar in pastrami!)

Plus, I'm getting tired of celery and carrots. I thought I'd pack sliced peppers and cucumbers.

Any other ideas? It has to be handy for driving because we spend 8hrs in the car and aren't going to stop anywhere - just straight drive it because it usually takes almost 3hrs just to get out of Toronto so the way back is long.

I pack the usual bananas, apples ... he hates strawberries and I believe grapes are high in natural sugar so they're out.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

You want both low carb and low fat snacks. While roasted unsalted almonds are not real low in fat, they are low in carbs. I keep these at my desk for occasional snacks at work. For fruit, blueberries are good, and raspberries are also good. Strawberries are much higher in carbs.

Also not low in fat, but low in carbs are fried pork rinds. I will have some of these when I really get a craving for something crunchy (very few crunchy foods are low in carbs).

You can get diabetic candy, but be careful about those that contain sorbitol or maltinol...they can cause pretty bad GI problems (cramping, diarrhea) if eaten in much volume.

Low fat cheese is also good. I like low fat string cheese for occasional snacks or for lunch with fruit. My usual lunch is low fat cottage cheese with fresh blueberries (when I can get them). Sometimes I will fix yogurt with fruit and add a little Stevia to sweeten it too. Again, blueberries or raspberries are my favorite.

Avoid crackers, chips, and bread unless it is really low carb (I look for bread that is less than 15 gm. per slice of carbs) and even then limit its use.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Roasted beans are great: edamames, soy beans, garbanzos.

Comment

are nuts ok? I like fried pork skins to satisfy my crunch crave.

Comment

Jenn, I'm more worried about you with the cutting than diabetic snacks for your bro. If self mutilation continues to be appealing, is there someone you can talk to? Cutting is an external sign of an internal scream.

Thinking about you and hoping for better days.

Comment

Totally. I just don't care anymore. Tired of waiting for surgery so this is my silent protest.
            Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
              Totally. I just don't care anymore. Tired of waiting for surgery so this is my silent protest.
              Be very careful here because you could get an infection and make life even harder for yourself. Cutting is definitely one of those behaviors that is a call for help, but the problem is that it can end up being somewhat addictive because it causes serotonin release (which ends up feeling rather nice), in addition to simply functioning as a distraction from the true source of pain.
              As for diabetic snacks there are many, many, even without having to buy special diabetic foods. As previously mentioned nuts have very few carbs. Cheese and dairy products also have few carbs, although the fat content can vary. Low fat yougurt is great. Sugar free puddings made by Jello can be had in your local market. Shrimp (virtually NO carbs) and some dip, or any meat really as long as it isn't slathered with high sugar content barbeque sauce. Salad can pretty much be eaten freely, again if it isn't drenched in sugary dressing. I just use any of the low fat versions (Paul Newman Ceasar is my favorite) and eat enormous quantities of lettuce, broccoli, spinach, peppers, tomato, kidney beans (a little carb in this last one, but it has a low glycemic index so will not upset his glucose if eaten in moderation), olives, and a hard boiled egg too.

Comment

On Tuesday when I see my doctor, I'm considering stopping all treatment. I've just had enough of waiting, of deteriorating - everything.

ANYWAY ... he won't eat nuts for some reason. I tried that. Salad and shrimp aren't really handy for driving ... I guess I'll figure it out. Very limited choices though!

Comment

Originally posted by lynnifer View Post
                  On Tuesday when I see my doctor, I'm considering stopping all treatment. I've just had enough of waiting, of deteriorating - everything.

ANYWAY ... he won't eat nuts for some reason. I tried that. Salad and shrimp aren't really handy for driving ... I guess I'll figure it out. Very limited choices though!
                  I use a good insulated lunch bag with blue ice to carry perishable like meat, fish, cheese, yogurt. It works fine for a large number of hours. Chicken teriakyi skewers are one of my personal favorites.

Comment

That's what I use as well - insulated lunch bag.

We don't stop because it is 8hrs in the car (or more because sometimes it takes almost 3hrs to get out of the traffic in Toronto). For me it's 2 extra hours because I would drop off my brother at home and still have an hours' drive for me one way.

So that's why it has to be something handy and convenient that can be held with one hand while driving. I took pepperettes last time but they have high sodium and he has to watch his sodium intake as he has high blood pressure as well.

Comment

I just saw this, so I know Jen's trip was yesterday, but what about those Quaker rice cake things......I get them sometimes to keep myself from eating chips. I just had a bag of the small ones flavored with cheese. I suppose the salt content would'nt be the greatest. I know the large ones come with light or no salt. I've used the low salt in place of bread....a slice of meat and cheese...not that bad.

Comment

Working...
                      X