• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oats is one of the best option for breakfast

Hi To friends!!!!!

I Would like to suggest you one very best food
    for your breakfast and that is oats becoz it is
    equivalent to one normal meals and It is rich in
    protein so one has to try for that.......

Smith ALan

Plain rolled oats cooked in water or fat free milk with strawberries, bananas, or bits of apple are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. Don't settle for the sugar packed pre packaged stuff. Buy the plain rolled oats from Quaker or a store brand; it usually comes in a big tube.

Eat this two to three times a day with exercise, stay full and watch the pounds melt away.

Comment

But also high in carbs, and there are other cereals that are higher in fiber. Check out barley cereals, esp. barley flakes which cook up much like oats, but lower in carbs and higher in fiber.

Steel cut oats (rather than rolled oats) are also lower in carbs and higher in fiber than rolled oats.

(KLD)
      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Perfect more good information.

Thanks.

Comment

Here we have started to eat much more barley, it is healthy. That is what the poor people ate in old times, barley porridge. And it is much better to eat barley instead of rice, potatoes or pasta to the dinner. But we are eating very different from you so it is difficult to compare.
          Last edited by woman from Europe; 5 Mar 2011, 10:44 PM.
          TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I love porridge, but porridge oats completely floor me. They seem one of the worst foods for me in terms of making my blood pressure drop after eating.

It makes sense it's because it's high in carbs (my two other worst foods are bread and potatoes).

Comment

Food writer Mark Bittman recently wrote a column about McDonald's oatmeal, which apparently has more sugar than a Snickers bar:
              http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...oatmeal-wrong/

Comment

Ha, that article (the comment section especially) inspired me to finally get a slow cooker. I love the McCaann's Irish oatmeal, but it takes almost an hour to cook up on the stove and requires frequent stirring. With the slow cooker you can just throw in the ingredients the night before and set the timer for breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Crashbang View Post
                  Food writer Mark Bittman recently wrote a column about McDonald's oatmeal, which apparently has more sugar than a Snickers bar:
                  http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com...oatmeal-wrong/
                  It's amazing to me they can take a food that's so good for you, and make it bad for you.

don't even get me started on their salads..

Comment

Did you read the comment pointing out that there are 26 (!) ingredients in their buns?

Comment

steel cut oats w/ a tbsp of peanut butter melted in. yum.
                      Bike-on.com rep
                      John@bike-on.com
                      c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
                      sponsored handcycle racer

Comment

KLD, is the barley cereal found in regular supermarkets or is it a whole foods kind of thing?
                        Daniel

Comment

Unfortunately, the barley cereal I am familiar with is difficult to find. I have ordered it on-line directly from the producer here:

http://www.bglifebarley.com/

I found this too, but have not tried them. Probably will next time as this is less expensive:

http://www.nutsonline.com/cookingbak...FQdMgwodygZX_g

Gerber's makes a barley baby cereal, but I have not been able to find it at local grocery stores in my area.

(KLD)
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

oats versus Barley reminds me of a story I heard from an old Swiss farmer that I worked for back in the 70s. He, like all Swiss men, had been in the Army. His job was taking care of the horses they used to move stuff around in the mountains. They were given oats for the horses, but they would trade them with the local farmers for Barley because the oats made the horses too spirited (unless they were being worked hard). I guess the old expression "feeling your oats" is true.

Comment

Originally posted by fuentejps View Post
                              steel cut oats w/ a tbsp of peanut butter melted in. yum.
                              and half a banana.

deeelish

fuck, I hate it when I agree with you, seeing as you're such a skurge. lol.
                              An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

Working...
                              X