Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popcorn

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Popcorn

    I hear it's good for your bp. Roughage!

    Anyone know a good one if you are pre diabetic, on limited salt intake?
    I'm assuming air popped? any for the microwave?

    Thanks
    sigpic

    #2
    I found out that you can pop regular popcorn kernels in the microwave just in a brown paper lunch bag (unwaxed). Just throw a couple handfuls in the bag, fold the top over and nuke. Gotta do a bit of experimenting to find the right time for your microwave - just listen to the pops, when they slow down then its done. I like mine with a small amount of Becel margarine and kernals white cheddar seasoning.

    Its supposed to be good and nutrious with nutritional yeast on it.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

    Comment


      #3
      I been eating unsalted pork rinds. ya, I know not vegetarian or kosher. only a couple but good for my crunch crave.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Emi2 View Post
        I found out that you can pop regular popcorn kernels in the microwave just in a brown paper lunch bag (unwaxed). Just throw a couple handfuls in the bag, fold the top over and nuke. Gotta do a bit of experimenting to find the right time for your microwave - just listen to the pops, when they slow down then its done. I like mine with a small amount of Becel margarine and kernals white cheddar seasoning.

        Its supposed to be good and nutrious with nutritional yeast on it.

        How cool is that Emi! I've been online look at poppers.
        A brown paper sack is right in my price range!!! lol
        Thank you I love cheap solutions.

        What's nutritional yeast?
        sigpic

        Comment


          #5
          Popcorn is a fairly decent source of fiber. 3 cups of air popped popcorn (93 calories), which is a lot of popcorn has 3.6 gram of fiber or about the same as 1 cup of brown rice. Air popping is probably the best way to go, although popping your own corn in a brown bag in the microwave is a good alternative. Here is a technique I found on the internet:
          Just put about 1/4 cup popcorn kernels into a brown paper lunch bag. Adding more will be a waste because the popped corn will start to burn. Fold over the top a few times, (don't staple, as some directions suggest), and pop in the microwave on high for about two minutes. Not only does it pop as healthy as air popped, but you don't have the maintenance of a contraption and the cost of popcorn kernels is significantly less than buying microwave popcorn. And you can re-use the paper bag to pop more popcorn.

          There are some alternative at the grocery store that are supposed to be healthy like these:
          Smart Balance Light Butter
          Smart Balance's buttery flavor makes you feel like you're at the movies -- without the grease and guilt. WIth no hydrogenated oils or trans fats, just 100 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat and 85 milligrams of sodium per serving (4 popped cups), this popcorn gives you a satisfying snack without ruining your diet. Priced at $2.69 to $3.29 for three, 3-ounce bags; available at grocery stores nationwide.

          Newman's Own Organics Pop's Corn, Light Butter
          Newman's short ingredient list is all organic, with no hydrogenated oils. It is not quite as buttery as the Smart Balance Light Butter, but is great if you are in the mood for something that tastes less intense. Each serving (3.5 cups popped) has 140 calories, 4.5 grams of fat, 2.5 grams of saturated fat and 130 milligrams of sodium. Priced at $2.99 for three, 3-ounce bags; availabe at Whole Foods Markets and other natural grocery stores nationwide.

          Jolly Time 100-Calorie Mini Bags, Healthy Pop Butter Flavor
          There is a small amount of partially hydrogenated soybean oil in this brand, but the 100-calorie bag is still great for nights alone with a good movie. The whopping 5-fluffy-cup serving has 100 calories, 2 grams of fat, no saturated fat and 200 milligrams of sodium. Priced at $2.39 for four, 1.2-ounce bags; available at grocery stores nationwide.

          Newman's Own Organics Pop's Corn 94-percent Fat Free Unsalted
          If you prefer all natural popcorn, or dressing it up with your own flavorings, this is the bare-bones pick for you. Like the Newman's Own, this one has no partially hydrogenated oils and is organic. Each serving (3.5 cups) has 120 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 0.5 grams of saturated fat, and 30mg of sodium. Pop it up, add just a pinch of salt, and you have the perfect snack.

          However, there have been some FDA findings that the grease repellent wrappers used in commercial microwave popcorn may expose people to a high level of carcinogens when the wrappers get too hot.
          http://www.outsideleft.com/always.ph...0&updateID=604

          I would also caution that you should start out slowly and eat small amounts of popcorn at first and then add more until you see how your body reacts to it. And, increase your liquid intake by a lot when adding popcorn fiber to your diet.

          All the best,
          GJ

          Comment


            #6
            Mona, check this out.... lots of good info. I saw Alton Brown eat it as a cereal in the morning as well.

            http://www.examiner.com/cooking-in-h...ner-and-snacks
            Larry
            ------
            Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by gjnl View Post
              Popcorn is a fairly decent source of fiber. 3 cups of air popped popcorn (93 calories), which is a lot of popcorn has 3.6 gram of fiber or about the same as 1 cup of brown rice. Air popping is probably the best way to go, although popping your own corn in a brown bag in the microwave is a good alternative. Here is a technique I found on the internet:
              Just put about 1/4 cup popcorn kernels into a brown paper lunch bag. Adding more will be a waste because the popped corn will start to burn. Fold over the top a few times, (don't staple, as some directions suggest), and pop in the microwave on high for about two minutes. Not only does it pop as healthy as air popped, but you don't have the maintenance of a contraption and the cost of popcorn kernels is significantly less than buying microwave popcorn. And you can re-use the paper bag to pop more popcorn.

              There are some alternative at the grocery store that are supposed to be healthy like these:
              Smart Balance Light Butter
              Smart Balance's buttery flavor makes you feel like you're at the movies -- without the grease and guilt. WIth no hydrogenated oils or trans fats, just 100 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 1 gram of saturated fat and 85 milligrams of sodium per serving (4 popped cups), this popcorn gives you a satisfying snack without ruining your diet. Priced at $2.69 to $3.29 for three, 3-ounce bags; available at grocery stores nationwide.

              Newman's Own Organics Pop's Corn, Light Butter
              Newman's short ingredient list is all organic, with no hydrogenated oils. It is not quite as buttery as the Smart Balance Light Butter, but is great if you are in the mood for something that tastes less intense. Each serving (3.5 cups popped) has 140 calories, 4.5 grams of fat, 2.5 grams of saturated fat and 130 milligrams of sodium. Priced at $2.99 for three, 3-ounce bags; availabe at Whole Foods Markets and other natural grocery stores nationwide.

              Jolly Time 100-Calorie Mini Bags, Healthy Pop Butter Flavor
              There is a small amount of partially hydrogenated soybean oil in this brand, but the 100-calorie bag is still great for nights alone with a good movie. The whopping 5-fluffy-cup serving has 100 calories, 2 grams of fat, no saturated fat and 200 milligrams of sodium. Priced at $2.39 for four, 1.2-ounce bags; available at grocery stores nationwide.

              Newman's Own Organics Pop's Corn 94-percent Fat Free Unsalted
              If you prefer all natural popcorn, or dressing it up with your own flavorings, this is the bare-bones pick for you. Like the Newman's Own, this one has no partially hydrogenated oils and is organic. Each serving (3.5 cups) has 120 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, 0.5 grams of saturated fat, and 30mg of sodium. Pop it up, add just a pinch of salt, and you have the perfect snack.

              However, there have been some FDA findings that the grease repellent wrappers used in commercial microwave popcorn may expose people to a high level of carcinogens when the wrappers get too hot.
              http://www.outsideleft.com/always.ph...0&updateID=604

              I would also caution that you should start out slowly and eat small amounts of popcorn at first and then add more until you see how your body reacts to it. And, increase your liquid intake by a lot when adding popcorn fiber to your diet.

              All the best,
              GJ
              WOW! THANKS JUDY! for going to the trouble to post all this great info.
              I'd looked about a month a couple of hrs trying to find good popcorn like that & never found any that good.
              Also the info on the bags! Thank you so much. Better reason to use Emi's brown bag idea. Thank you so much!

              I'll ck it out wolf. Thank you !
              sigpic

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
                How cool is that Emi! I've been online look at poppers.
                A brown paper sack is right in my price range!!! lol
                Thank you I love cheap solutions.

                What's nutritional yeast?
                yeah, we bought 2lbs of bags for like 13.00 - there must be 500 bags....commercial microwave popcorn is such a ripoff and unhealthy. and it was so annoying to drag out the airpopper when we wanted popcorn.
                http://www.care2.com/greenliving/nut...te-things.html
                Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Emi2 View Post
                  yeah, we bought 2lbs of bags for like 13.00 - there must be 500 bags....commercial microwave popcorn is such a ripoff and unhealthy. and it was so annoying to drag out the airpopper when we wanted popcorn.
                  http://www.care2.com/greenliving/nut...te-things.html

                  Thanks Emily I'll have to get some. It says it's very nutritious & tastes great!

                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I thought popcorn was good for you?
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post
                      I thought popcorn was good for you?
                      It is! has lots of fibre, some protein, vitamins and minerals and yes, carbs but they are whole grain carbs and healthier than many snack choices.
                      Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Emi2 View Post
                        It is! has lots of fibre, some protein, vitamins and minerals and yes, carbs but they are whole grain carbs and healthier than many snack choices.

                        Thanks Emi! Plus I don't use salt.
                        btw the paper sack in the mw is working great!
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          You use the paper bags with no butter or margarine? My microwave is one of the tiny ones, and the mini bags we buy never pop right. Do you think the paper bag will work in it? We have to buy the expensive mini size because the regular size is too big to turn in the microwave.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by smokymtn memories View Post
                            You use the paper bags with no butter or margarine? My microwave is one of the tiny ones, and the mini bags we buy never pop right. Do you think the paper bag will work in it? We have to buy the expensive mini size because the regular size is too big to turn in the microwave.
                            It should work, just throw a handful of kernels in an unwaxed brown bag, fold the top over a couple times and microwave until the popping slows down to about 2 seconds between pops. Takes 1:30 on our microwave but your microwave may vary.
                            Butter and salt it after, or use those popcorn flavour shakers, yummy!
                            Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Every Friday night we make popcorn. I got tired of butter and salt so I started using those flavor shakers- then that got old too (and expensive).

                              So now I make one of these: chili powder; olive oil and Italian herbs; Jamaican Jerk seasoning; Cinnamon and Truvia and sometimes, just pepper. Keeps it interesting and yummy!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X