Diet soda risks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
    Can't believe it is the "caramel" flavoring because all colas diet or not have the "caramel" flavoring componenet.

All the best,
    GJ
    I think that is what I was trying to say, that it made no difference if it was diet or regular cola drinks, hence it can't be caffeine and has to be either the artificial sweetner or the caramel coloring, although that falls apart if we are talking about something like orange soda or mountain dew. They have artificial flavors too though........I am so confused. I will keep drinking my damn diet cokes no matter what. Like Linda said, it is one of those things I look forward too, damnit.

Comment

Well....what is it they say....."You have to die from something."

All the best,
      GJ

Comment

All the best,
        GJ

LOL yeah, well it was vanity that really made me stop--if I have to be honest .wanted my stomach to stop bloating and fit my cloths better ! lol
        "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

Comment

All the best,
          GJ
          Death by diet coke. If it hasn't killed me in over 35 years.......
          It would be hard to know if it would be the dc or what because my diet in general is not as healthy as it should be. I suspect this would be the case in a lot of the people in the study.
          I just went to the walk in clinic and found out I have bronchitis, but she said my "BP is perfect."
          I thought Lady, you don't know what a perfect BP is at my house.

Comment

I saw a little story about that study and it wasn't even published, only discussed at a conference. The doctor that was interviewed basically said the study was junk since it was so poorly executed. I've gotta have my diet coke most days to get going in the morning.

I know it's ironic that someone will order a burger and a diet coke, but some people can't handle all of the sugar in a regular coke (like me).

Comment

Don't think I'm going to worry about it too much...

Comment

No doubt Eileen. I've never cared that much for cokes of any kind.

I drink white or green tea plain or with Stevia and water.

I'd use sugar before I'd use any artificial sweetner. They're all bad for your body.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mona~on~wheels View Post

I'd use sugar before I'd use any artificial sweetner. They're all bad for your body.
                  I feel the same way. They are not just horrible for your body, they can also cause problems for your brain. I really loved soda when I was younger but the health consequences of all the chemicals they put in it are just are not worth it. I think the best alternative is a quality natural sparkling water like Perrier. We have been conditioned to eat and drink things that are sweet, if you try eating and drinking things that are unsweetened it won't take very long to recondition yourself to make healthy choices.

Comment

Wow...this was a great thread. I will be sharing this with my mother.
                    DFW TEXAS- T-10 since March 20th, 1994

Comment

I know that phosphoric acid in pop can lead to kidney/bladder stones ... which is the sole reason I gave it up. My friend's mother had this.
                      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

When I finally got over my stomach flu and after 3 days without my beloved diet coke it felt good to pop that can and sip on one.
                        Maybe it is habit like someone smoking a cigarette after a meal.
                        I am going to cut down to one and day instead of 2.

Comment

More bad news about cola drinks and now it is the caramel coloring agents:

"Feb. 16, 2011 -- Two types of caramel coloring used in some sodas and foods contain two carcinogens and should be banned, according to the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI).

“We are calling on the FDA to ban the use of caramel coloring in colas and certain other foods,” CSPI Executive Director Michael F. Jacobson said during a teleconference.

The caramel coloring used in some sodas is manufactured via a chemical reaction between sugars, ammonia, and sulfates. These reactions produce the two carcinogens: 2-methylimidazole (2-MEI) and 4-methylimidazole (4-MEI), he says. These chemicals have been shown to cause cancer in mice and rats."

For the complete article:
                          http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/ne...oring-in-sodas

All the best,
                          GJ

Comment

What kind of artifical suger do you have in the diet Coke? We had two different, Splenda and Aspartame. I am getting sick from the Splenda, a lot of air in the stomach and cramps, but I drink the one with Aspartame if I try to loose weight.

The Splenda was forbidden here last year because it wasn't healthy.
                            TH 12, 43 years post

Comment

I need to stop reading this thread.

Comment

They forget to tell you that breathing the air is bad for u 2....wtf.

There is nothing safe anymore and all u here on the news is this and that is bad for you.

Am tired of all the crap on the news lately.

Art
                                Art

Comment

Working...
                                X