New Dutch Oven for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Dutch Oven for Christmas

I mentioned getting a dutch oven to my wife and I got one on Christmas. I was inspired by a black beef recipe I saw in the NY Times.
    My mom used to use one all the time - she made incredible pot roast with it (red cabbage was a mandatory side).

Any recipe suggestions?

(My daughter didn't know that a dutch oven was a cooking tool - of course she knew the version of dutch oven that involves holding bed covers over someones head....)

- just checked clipping on mu Kindle - the dish was a Venezuelan dish called "asad negro"
    Last edited by garvey; 4 Jan 2011, 1:56 PM.

Hi "Garvey,"
    Hope you enjoy your new Dutch oven. I found this fun article on the history of the Dutch oven. http://www.dutchovenguide.com/

And, maybe you will enjoy this Classic Pot Roast recipe from Cooks Illustrated.

All the best,
    NL (GJ's wife)

Comment

I'm making a big pot of 15 bean soup with the spiral ham bone from Xmas.
      Sort of using a combo of recipes.
      Anyone want to come over? Can't promise how it will turn out.
      I'm taking a peek at the dutch oven recipes.

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
        Be right over Linda, (On second thought be over tomorrow, soup is always better the next day - gives all the flavors time to get to know each other).
        Love 15 bean soup (Good Luck New Years Soup). NL always adds a little dry sherry at the end. She also scoops a few ladles full of the soup into a food processor and purees that portion, then adds it back into the soup pot. It helps thicken the soup. Yummmmmm!

Enjoy
        GJ

Can anyone name the fifteen "beans"?

Comment

Great idea about the thickening. I'm fussing over it here because I want it thicker. Has a while to go yet.

Comment

I would highly recommend 'Pepper Stout Beef' since you're already talking about beef. You don't need the grilling part, just brown in the pan.
            Larry
            ------
            Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
              Hi "Garvey,"
              Hope you enjoy your new Dutch oven. I found this fun article on the history of the Dutch oven. http://www.dutchovenguide.com/
              Weird site - I looked at 4 or 5 of their recipes, none of which actually used a Dutch oven (or anything similar).

I bake bread in mine: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/di...mrex.html?_r=1

Comment

Originally posted by Katja View Post
                Weird site - I looked at 4 or 5 of their recipes, none of which actually used a Dutch oven (or anything similar).
                I never looked at the recipes, I was just interested in the origin of the Dutch oven.

NL (GJ's wife)

Comment

Originally posted by LindaT View Post
                  Love 15 bean soup.
                  Please tell me the names of the 15 beans ! ! ! This would be good cocktail party knowledge.

Comment

I puree half the black beans in my black bean soup with curry flavoring. Only way to go. I love cooking bean soups in the winter.

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
                      Love 15 bean soup.
                      Please tell me the names of the 15 beans ! ! ! This would be good cocktail party knowledge.
                      black bean
                      red beans
                      Dark and Light Red kidney beans
                      navy beans
                      great northern beans
                      Large and Baby lima beans
                      pinto beans
                      Green and Yellow split peas
                      black-eyed peas

Various forms of lentil
                      • Red Chief
                      • Eston
                      • Pardina
                      • Crimson
                      Cranberry beans (shell beans)
                      chick peas (garbanzo beans)
                      Small white bean
                      Pink Bean

I had to look it up Arndog-would be a good triva. This was the best batch I've ever made.

Comment

I was watching "The Barefoot Contessa" on Food Network this morning and Ina was making 40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken. She recommended using a good dutch oven to make it. If you check their website, the recipe should be posted.
                        Kimber in SoCal
                        Wife to Tom, T12 incomplete since 1988

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
                          Love 15 bean soup.
                          My mother used to make a 15 bean soup mix at Christmas to give to friends. She would buy bags of dried beans and lentils and peas, and we would mix them together, put the appropriate amount in jars, attach a recipe. You don't have to buy all the dried beans, lentils and peas separately. Most grocery stores sell a one pound bag of the mixed beans that include a flavor packet. All the beans are mixed together for you. It is a lot easy and more convenient than having 15 pounds of assorted dried legumes around. I haven't used the flavor packet, so I don't know how it tastes.

All the best,
                          NL (GJ's wife)

Comment

I just bought the store brand of 15 bean mix. I really wanted navy beans but they were out. Everyone must have been making ham bean soup.
                            It turned out awesome I must say.

Comment

How do you actually make bean soup? I would like to make a no meat version bean soup. Can anyone tell me how to do it, what spices I would need? Any vegetables? I'm an idiot in the kitchen basically and have to follow a recipe step by step. thank you.

nothing too spicey, i have a bad esophagus

Comment

Working...
                              X