New Dutch Oven for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marycsm77 View Post
    How do you actually make bean soup? I would like to make a no meat version bean soup. Can anyone tell me how to do it, what spices I would need? Any vegetables? I'm an idiot in the kitchen basically and have to follow a recipe step by step. thank you.

nothing too spicey, i have a bad esophagus
    Hi "Marycsm,"
    A commercial manufacture, Hurst, markets a 1 pound bag of the 15 bean soup with a flavor packet and calls it Vegetarian 15 Bean Soup. The recipe is easy, find it here: (This product can be found in most supermarkets in the dried bean section.)
    http://www.hurstbeans.com/recipes/28...ean-soup%C2%AE

Otherwise, search the internet for Vegetarian 15 (or 13) bean soup for other tasty variations.

NL (GJ's wife)

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
      Hi "Marycsm,"
      A commercial manufacture, Hurst, markets a 1 pound bag of the 15 bean soup with a flavor packet and calls it Vegetarian 15 Bean Soup. The recipe is easy, find it here: (This product can be found in most supermarkets in the dried bean section.)
      http://www.hurstbeans.com/recipes/28...ean-soup%C2%AE

Otherwise, search the internet for Vegetarian 15 (or 13) bean soup for other tasty variations.

NL (GJ's wife)
      Thank you NL I just looked at it and looks pretty easy!, that would be for me. thanks for going to the trouble.

mary

Comment

Originally posted by garvey View Post
        (My daughter didn't know that a dutch oven was a cooking tool - of course she knew the version of dutch oven that involves holding bed covers over someones head....)
        i knew it was a cooking tool, but i must admit that somewhere in the depths of my brain, bevis and butthead's voices went "dutch oven.... heh heh heh"
        mitochondrial disease complex 1 deficiency, suspected HSP
        type 3 ehlers danlos syndrome w/ type 1 overlap, g and j tubes
        aspergers & friends
        survivor of 2 TIA strokes

Comment

Originally posted by garvey View Post
          I mentioned getting a dutch oven to my wife and I got one on Christmas. I was inspired by a black beef recipe I saw in the NY Times.
          My mom used to use one all the time - she made incredible pot roast with it (red cabbage was a mandatory side).

Any recipe suggestions?

(My daughter didn't know that a dutch oven was a cooking tool - of course she knew the version of dutch oven that involves holding bed covers over someones head....)

- just checked clipping on mu Kindle - the dish was a Venezuelan dish called "asad negro"
          Garvey - Go to America's Test Kitchen and do a search on "Almost No Knead Bread". You may have to purchase a membership for this recipe but google it and someone has it posted. I have tried forever to make crusty bread. With this recipe you cook the bread in the dutch oven and the steam makes it consistently crusty. You can try it with your favorite bread recipes also. Pre-heat the oven to 500 degrees then put your dutch oven in for 30 minutes with the cover on. After 30 minutes turn the oven down to 425 and put the bread dough in the dutch oven (dough on parchment paper) and put the cover on. After 25 minutes take the cover off and bake until the bread reaches 210 degrees or approx another 20 minutes. I have a LeCruset dutch oven and had to replace the cover handle since it could not be heated past 325 (Handle would possibly explode no kidding....I've seen the new handles can handle up to 475).

America's Test Kitchen has a recipe for baking a whole chicken in the dutch oven and it was one of the best chicken dishes I have ever eaten. (French Chicken in a Pot).

Comment

Originally posted by spasticXfantastic View Post
            i knew it was a cooking tool, but i must admit that somewhere in the depths of my brain, bevis and butthead's voices went "dutch oven.... heh heh heh"
            like when someone asked about the origin?

under the covers!
            An administrator made me remove my signature.

Comment

I'm really enjoying this.

I tried a whole chicken about two weeks ago - just sliced up a big onion and sauteed in butter, then placed a 5 lb. roaster in on top of onions and seared it on each side.
              pre-heated oven ( a new Maytag btw that works like a dream after our 20 yr old Amana) at 400 degrees.
              After about 1 hour - meat was falling off the bone.
              Delicious!

yesterday I used it to cook up some from scratch spaghetti sauce (gravy to you Italian die hards!) with meatballs and sausage. Not bad for an Irish boy!

Thanks for the recipes - I will continue to explore!

Comment

Working...
              X