Thanksgiving Turkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanksgiving Turkey

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite times of the year and I'm in charge of smoking the turkey and my wife does everything else. Fine with me, cause I'm out of the house in 'My Domain'. My brother came out and we hung out in the garage smoked some stogies, drank some (well a lot) of beer and watched the football games. Doesn't get much better than that, hanging out with my older (but not as good looking :-) brother).

Started out injecting my 16lb turkey with a simple brine. You can do a traditional brine, but this method is so much faster, easier and you get the same result.

Brine Injection

* 4 Cups - Cold Water
    * 1/4 Cup - Kosher Salt
    * 1/4 Cup - Brown Sugar
    * Little bit of Granulated Garlic
    * Little bit of fine ground black pepper
    * Little bit of Poultry Seasoning

Blend until everything is dissolved and inject all of it into every portion of the bird. Majority of it goes in the breast, but don't forget about the legs, wings and thighs.

The 'Injectee'.....a 6% Enhanced Giant Brand Turkey. I actually preferred this bird and it was butchered, MUCH better than the more expensive Shadybrook Farms turkeys I normally get. So, cheaper is sometimes better!

The 'Injector'.....I pumped the whole quart of brine in that bad boy! You really only need to do this about an hour ahead of time, but you could do it and let it sit longer.

Loaded up the WSM with Royal Oak and Apple Wood, ass the Oak Leaves continued to snow down into the charcoal!

The bird is on and ready for a 5 hour Sauna and Tanning Session!

Now it's time to kick back and enjoy the day and football! My brother.

And Your's Truly.

I got cold and sat inside next to the Kerosene heater for a bit.

My wife is obviously from FREAKING MARS..........she makes giblet gravy by simmering the giblets and neck and then takes the giblets out. I tell her 'IT'S NOT GIBLET GRAVY WITHOUT THE CHOPPED UP GIBLETS IN IT' but she refuses, so I oblige and eat them, LOVE THEM ABSOLUTELY LOVE THEM. My brother, couldn't even watch me eat them, he's obviously my wife's neighbor on MARS. WHO doesn't like the gizzard, liver and heart? I'd rather eat a plate of those than the turkey itself. Anyways, enough ramblings.......I thoroughly enjoyed eating them and watching my brother almost puke as I ate them! LOL

After 5 hours the turkey looks like it enjoyed it's day in the sauna!

After about a 30 minute rest before slicing the turkey, it was time to eat!

Removed one side of the breast. The legs, wings and thighs will be vacuumed sealed and frozen and used for seasoning beans, greens or pot pies for future dinners!

My plate. Turkey, corn casserole, broccoli casserole, sweet potatoes and sausage cornbread stuffing. My wife made all the sides, everything turned out great.

And.......the effects of drinking beer all day, them Beam and Cokes and a Turkey Coma.........glad I stuck with beer!
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

You are a man among men. I am an old geezer and got tired just looking at the pictures. Not only did you cook a delicious looking turkey and fixings but you drank prodigious quantities of Jim Beam and beer, took pictures of it all and ate giblets (arghh!). I am in awe. We ate T dinner at a relatives yesterday but today will make our own turkey and fixings mainly so we can have turkey sandwiches and maintain trytophan high for a couple of days.

Comment

You looked a little perverted injecting that naked turkey Wolfie.
      Just sayin'.
      Glad you had a good day with your brother. He looks like a nice guy and the food better looking than either of you.
      I had a Bloody Mary with my sister, but we did not look as goofy afterwards.

Comment

Wolfeman, your turkey/preparation underscores the difference between a chef and the rest of us "cooks." My fresh bird was lovengly massaged with real butter, seasoned, and roasted starting at 475 reduced to 350 after about 30 minutes. Basted a couple times and done in 2 hours. Great pan dripping for gravy made with stock from the wing ends, neck, and giblets..

However, nobody can top my wife's pumpkin chiffon pie!
        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Scroll through the pictures again until you get to the carved meat on a platter....there my friends is the way to slice a turkey breast. Few people carve this way and it makes all the difference in the texture of the meat.
          http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/IMG_0242.jpg
          http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/IMG_0243.jpg

All the best,
          GJ

Comment

I like gizzards too!!

The corn casserole looks good...recipe?
            Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Comment

I tried to check out the pics but keep getting a "page not found" message from pbucket

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
              Scroll through the pictures again until you get to the carved meat on a platter....there my friends is the way to slice a turkey breast. Few people carve this way and it makes all the difference in the texture of the meat.
              http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/IMG_0242.jpg
              http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...0/IMG_0243.jpg

All the best,
              GJ
              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Well if you don't look like Ron Pherman and your brother looks like Ciaran Hinds (the Russian President from Sum of All Fears)
                Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                  I tried to check out the pics but keep getting a "page not found" message from pbucket
                  Thought I could copy the photobucket pics from Wolfeman, but you may have to scroll though the pics he originally posted on this thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

All the best,
                  GJ

Comment

Wow, you totally rocked that turkey.

Comment

Larry, my mother use to make the giblet gravy, none of us have even tried. She would cook the giblets, romove them from the stock and when they had cooled enough to handle, put them through a meat grinder. Thicken the stock and put the ground up giblets back in the pan. It was good gravy, but too much work for me. I can take it or leave it when it comes to the gravy. I find opening up a can of turkey gravy works well! lol

Comment

Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                        Here ya go!
                        Larry
                        ------
                        Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Comment

Working...
                        X