Sometimes it's the simple things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes it's the simple things

I went on a day out to Liverpool yesterday with my new gf.

It was great, the city has some fantastic museums and art galleries - all free - but the best part of the day was the simple picnic we took and ate in a short burst of sunshine down by the docks.

Bottle of red wine, crusty bread and a selection of cheeses, including the stinkiest Camembert ever. Was fantastic.
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

MY GAWD MAN! I am a cheese and bread FANATIC! I'd date you if you bought a load of cheese, bread and wine like that!!! Incredible!! What is that dark cheese (knife is pointing at it)?? Now I need to go to the store to buy cheese!!!! What a perfect picnic!!
    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

Comment

Originally posted by WolfeMan View Post
      MY GAWD MAN! I am a cheese and bread FANATIC! I'd date you if you bought a load of cheese, bread and wine like that!!! Incredible!! What is that dark cheese (knife is pointing at it)?? Now I need to go to the store to buy cheese!!!! What a perfect picnic!!
      The dark cheese was amazing. It was made with Guinness - like this one:

http://www.dibruno.com/Detail.bok?no=88
      C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

dam it 2 b
        young again & know the discovery of a good cheese, wine and sausage

Comment

Very cool - thanks for the pics too. The dark one I thought was a brownie with walnuts lol.
          A dolla makes me holla, honey boo boo! - borrowed from Honey boo boo child

Comment

Yeah yeah Paul. Nice pic of your little picnic, but when do we get to see the GF?
            "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Comment

So funny! That link leads to DiBruno's, my favorite cheese shop from my South Philadelphia origin. "Cheeses to Rat About" on a street once filled with mob characters. You had to dodge between enormous hanging cheeses that were everywhere in the shop. The smells were overwhelming and heavenly. You could get a taste of anything.

This was back when very few people from out of the neighborhood
              shopped on 9th Street. And long before anybody called 9th Street "The Italian Market".

And now they have a website being viewed in Manchester, England!

Thanks for the memories.

Originally posted by RehabRhino View Post
              The dark cheese was amazing. It was made with Guinness - like this one:

http://www.dibruno.com/Detail.bok?no=88
              Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Comment

Your bowel program will SUCK tomorrow, if you don't take precautions! I haven't had a picnic like that post-sci. Back in the AB days, my stepbro and I went to Harrod's for Brie, Bread and Wine, and set off a-training with BritRail. It was a week-long cheese picnic, and the nights were made for alcohol. I've been across the Mersey from that building in your photo but don't recall that arch. Was it built within the past 18 yrs, you reckon? (OMG, can't believe that trip was that long ago and I haven't been back.)

My favorite museum in Liverpool was the Labour Museum, did you go to it? I had the most perfect rainy, cold day by myself at that museum, then met up w/ my peeps at the Adelphi for strong, hot tea...The Labour Museum really detailed the horrible living conditions etc. that made labor unions necessary. Liverpool was a hood, in the day! (I expect that in many ways, it still is.)

I frikkin' loved Liverpool. I love all of England but Liverpool spoke to me. It and Glasgow are my fave British towns to date-Edinburgh too, in a way. I guess I like England to be dark and gloomy and live up to its reputation! I was shocked to learn how badly Liverpool got bombed in WWII. I have this postcard, from that trip, to remind me. http://www.britsattheirbest.com/imag...ii_st_paul.gif Americans always hear about the Blitz in London, yet Liverpool took a pounding.

More about the new gf pls! We're all ears! The fact that she likes museum-ing is a good sign imo. People w/ no intellectual curiosity get boring FAST.

That dibrun's website recommends the cheese alongside a "frosty guinness". I love Guinness but isn't it meant to be served a bit warmer than frosty? In Ireland it was all kind of basement temperature, like English bitter.
                Last edited by betheny; 30 Aug 2009, 5:53 PM.
                Blog:
                Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Good for you Paul, well-deserved. I'm sure it was a great afternoon. Yes, bread, wine and cheese(s) are staples in my house. Many a night, when neither my gf nor I have the energy or creativity to cook we've got a similar spread to yours. However, I do need a bigger (Paul Hogan / Croc Dundee type) knife like yours.. But do quads and knives go together??

Onward and upward.

Comment

sounds like a great day Paul, and your picture has me drooling like Pavlov's dog. What a great assortment of cheese!

Comment

Originally posted by RehabRhino View Post
                      I went on a day out to Liverpool yesterday with my new gf.

It was great, the city has some fantastic museums and art galleries - all free - but the best part of the day was the simple picnic we took and ate in a short burst of sunshine down by the docks.

Bottle of red wine, crusty bread and a selection of cheeses, including the stinkiest Camembert ever. Was fantastic.
                      Geeeez ... I am jealous of you man for at least 7 things you spoke of in your post. SEVEN!

William

... rolling since 1989

BE NICE!It's free

P.S. ~ I have "handicapabilities"

TWITTER: @MacBerry

Comment

Working...
                      X