Good deer meat recipes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good deer meat recipes?

Dustin just got two and we have a freezer full on the way.What's the trick to taking the wild taste away?I've heard to soak it in salt.Any good tips or recipes out there?

I like this recipe. Only problem is it's not quick. It's good for covering up gaminess, though I have a tendency to keep only does these days because I really don't like strong flavored venison. Make sure to cut out all the white connective membranes. They don't cook down like beef.

Venison Stew

2 lb. lean venison, cut into 2-inch cubes
    2 oz. (1/4 cup) butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    3 medium-sized carrots, scraped and quartered
    1 small turnip, peeled and roughly chopped
    8 oz. small onions, peeled
    3 medium sized potatoes, peeled and halved
    14 oz. canned peeled tomatoes
    3 tablespoons tomato puree

MARINADE
    12 fl. oz. (1 ½ cups) red wine
    8 fl. oz. beef stock
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    8 black peppercorns
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
    1 teaspoon dried rosemary
    Bouquet garni consisting of 4 parsley sprigs, 1 thyme spray, and 1 bay leaf tied together

In a large shallow dish, combine all the marinade ingredients. Add the venison cubes and mix well. Set aside and marinade the meat at room temperature for at least 12 hours, basting it from time to time.
    Remove the meat from the marinade and dry it on paper towels. Reserve the marinade.
    In a large flameproof casserole, melt the butter over moderate heat. When the foam subsides, add the meat cubes and cook, stirring and turning occasionally for 8 minutes or until the cubes are lightly and evenly brown. Add the reserve marinade, the salt, pepper and rosemary and stir well. Bring the liquid to a boil, skimming off any scum that rises to the surface. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
    Add the carrots, turnip, onions, potatoes, tomatoes with the can juice and the tomato puree and stir thoroughly to blend.
    Re-cover the casserole and continue to simmer the stew for a further 1 hour or until the meat is tender when pierced with the point of a sharp knife.
    Remove the casserole from the heat and remove and discard the bouquet garni. Serve at once. 4 servings

-from The Best of Supercook / Soups and Stews , published by Marshall Cavendish, 1976
    Last edited by Wesley; 15 Nov 2008, 6:55 PM.

Comment

Agree with Wes. Stew is the only way to go, and boy is it good.
      Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
      Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Try www.hidetanning.net/venisonDeerMeatrecipes.html

I made the Stroganoff last year when a neighbor brought me some of his deer meat. Cream of mushroom soup will snuff the game taste.

Comment

Thanks for the recipe Wesley. It sure is a great time for stew.I had wondered about the bucks tasting different, figured so.

Cmoore, thanks for the link and the soup trick.I've had deer meat once and that wild taste did me in.yuck.

Comment

I loved hunting it but hated eating it. So I always had it made into jerky and pepperoni. Any cuts I kept were saturated in spices. And I liked frying it with olive oil because it dried out quickly otherwise.

So, what did he get get? Bucks.. Doe's? How big?

Comment

fix it up as you would regular burger like in chili or scetty and even goolash you can't tell the difference. I love to have deer loins they are the tenderest part, I pound them out like a regular loin and bread them fried up southern style with mashed taters and gravy!! good eats there girl.

we will chat later for more home cooking tips...haha...

Comment

Originally posted by quad79 View Post
                Dustin just got two and we have a freezer full on the way.What's the trick to taking the wild taste away?I've heard to soak it in salt.Any good tips or recipes out there?
                you need to talk with me on back woods cookin'

what does the deer feed on in your area? here it is corn and there is no real game taste, the trick is to keep all deer fat and deer marrow out of it. (marrow being the bone) keep it as lean as posible. stews are great also.
                to buzzed to talk much more so will chat later

Comment

Wild or gamey taste depends on the species of deer, and what they eat. Mule deer are browsers-wil eat damn near anything green, brown or whatever, green new fir growth, buckbrush, sage. Whitetail on the other hand are grazers, Grass, wheat, corn, (out here in wa anyway, now those that eat acorns back east, i'm not sure of.)
                  My wife won't eat mulies, except in a stew, she loves venison stew. Whitetail she absolutely loves chicken fried, hot fast so it stays tender. Even blew the whittail past father in law, thot we had veal, wifes a good chicken fryer.
                  So I hope you have a freezer full of whittail. Good luck.
                  Now if'n ya want some volume ELK is the way to go. Back before the SCI,My oldest and I started elk hunting in 1990 and learned fast and good, our record between us was 10 elk tween 90 and 2005, my last yr hunting, We found ourselves a liddle ole' honey hole,and got 8 of them within 200 yds of each other. Talk about good eating, except the big guys,(5X6 and 6X6) toughies, and gamier than others, but HUGE Filet mignon's.
                  Last edited by fishin'guy; 16 Nov 2008, 9:23 AM.

Comment

I Just LOVE DEER STEAKS Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........

Comment

I have a friend in Texas who has a smokehouse on their ranch and they make the best venison sausage. I'd try smokin some of the meat.

Joe

Comment

my bro put this recipe together. he likes it hot. Helps cover the gaminess

venison chile

1-2 lbs ground venison
                        3 thick-cut slices bacon
                        1 large can diced tomatoes
                        1 can pinto beans with liquid
                        1 large onion, chopped
                        1 small bell pepper (green or red), chopped
                        2 fresh jalapeno chiles, chopped
                        2 canned chipotle chiles, chopped
                        1 tsp chili powder
                        1 T cumin seed
                        1/2 tsp coriander seed
                        1 bottle of beer
                        beef stock or canned broth or water
                        salt and pepper
                        Some chopped fresh cilantro, if desired
                        Some grated cheddar or jack cheese, if desired
                        2 T masa harina (corn meal can be substituted)

Chop bacon into small pieces. Place in the bottom of a cast iron dutch oven or other large pot. Brown over medium high flame.

Add venison, brown thoroughly, separating it into small pieces as it cooks. When it is mostly browned, add onions and chopped bell and jalapeno peppers. Cook until the onion is soft.

Deglaze pan with beer. Add canned beans and canned tomatoes. Add chipotles, chili powder, coriander. Add enough broth, stock, or water to cover ingredients with liquid.

Heat just to boiling and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook uncovered until vegetables lose their distinct character. If it starts getting too dry, add stock or water, and/or cover pot.

Before serving, thicken with masa or corn meal. (I don't really know how much it takes--until it looks right.) Correct seasoning with salt and pepper.

Serve garnished with chopped cilantro and/or grated cheese.

Serve with warm corn tortillas or fresh corn bread.

The capsacin load in this recipe is pretty high. Obviously, you can reduce it to taste. You might want to start out with only some of the chile ingredients, taste it after it's cooked for a while and then add more. Try to find the chipotles if you can--they add some smoky campfire taste. If you can't find them, make sure to use smoky bacon and add some more hot stuff (cayenne pepper or another jalapeno, e.g.) to make up for the absence of the chipotles.

Don't think I've left anything out.

Oh yeah, add the cumin when you add the chipotles and other stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthQuad View Post
                          I loved hunting it but hated eating it. So I always had it made into jerky and pepperoni. Any cuts I kept were saturated in spices. And I liked frying it with olive oil because it dried out quickly otherwise.

So, what did he get get? Bucks.. Doe's? How big?

He got a buck -8 pointer around 120lbs and a doe around 95lbs. We don't have many really big deer around here. We now have a law that for every buck you kill you must kill a doe next.

I love the jerky too!He didn't get any made up though this time. I've usually stayed away from eating it, but thought I'd try it in some different dishes. He cooked up "sweet meat"? yesterday and he thought it was awesome. I gagged.

Fishinguy, they were cornfed whitetails.

"to buzzed to talk much more so will chat later" -d, you damn drunkNo, j/k.... yea, it's time to chat

Dustin belongs to the North American Hunt club and he'll pulled out two of their good recipe books this weekend. We haven't tried any yet, but I'll post recipes if they're good.

Thanks for another good recipe Wesley, it's def. time for some good ole' chili. I know we will try that one!

M22. We will have to borrow a smoker. He had some Kielbalsa(?) made up and that would probably rock oince it was smoked!
                          Last edited by quad79; 18 Nov 2008, 3:05 PM.

Comment

I want to go to a tailgate party with Wesley, even if he is a Philly fan.
                            Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                            Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by quad79
                              He cooked up "sweet meat"? yesterday and he thought it was awesome. I gagged.
                              ewwweeey... yucky poo. I've tried that. I nearly slapped the dink-hole that offered me some. It was one of my friends that brought some when we were out hunting back in the day. It was in a jar. I think it was boiled/cooked right in the jar. So nasty. I bet that deer turds taste better.

Comment

Working...
                              X