Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dont eat maine lobster tomalley

Dont eat maine lobster tomalley.
    July 28, 2008 -- The FDA today warned consumers to avoid eating tomalley in American lobster (also called Maine lobster) because of a potential contamination of dangerous levels of toxins that can cause paralytic shellfish poisoning, which can be fatal.
    http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/fo...bster-tomalley

Wow, this is too bad. I live not far from Maine and the lobster there is the best in the world, but I have never been a fan of the tamalley.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen
      Wow, this is too bad. I live not far from Maine and the lobster there is the best in the world, but I have never been a fan of the tamalley.
      Yes i agree that the Maine lobster is very tasty.I wonder what caused this ?Maybe the pollution of the water?

Comment

Red tide is what usually causes the problem with paralytic shellfish toxin. When the water gets too warm (maybe global warming?) the algae move in and literally turn the water red. They secrete toxins that then end up in shellfish. It can paralyze respiratory muscles, so it is a really big thing to be careful about.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen
          Red tide is what usually causes the problem with paralytic shellfish toxin. When the water gets too warm (maybe global warming?) the algae move in and literally turn the water red. They secrete toxins that then end up in shellfish. It can paralyze respiratory muscles, so it is a really big thing to be careful about.
          Thank you for the info Eileen.

Comment

We've had red tide issues intermittently over the past few years. Personally, I have never had a taste for lobster and not eating their digested, but un-expelled, waste, is probably a very good rule for those who do. Yuck!
            "I'm lost. I'm no guide, but I'm by your side." - Pearl Jam

"It decomposes, mendicant, therefore, truly, one calls this the world." -- Loka Sutta

Comment

We never had red tide till the wall came down, and all of you eastern block people came here.

just jerking your chain Adi,

Comment

Working...
              X