Meeting w/mom set for Wednesday, AHHHH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting w/mom set for Wednesday, AHHHH

All right so I told you all that I would let you know when this meeting was with my doc, pt, and mom, well it is this wednesday, November 21st at 10:30 am. I am scared out of my mind. The PT can only be there for a half an hour due to other patients, which I understand but still very nervous about. I guess one good thing is that we aren't doing anything for thanksgiving so there is no possible way I can be demoralized over what was supposed to be a nice gathering. I'll let you know how it goes if she doesn't kill me afterward.

Becky,
    Chicago
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Good luck Becky.

It's the only way forward, don't forget to let us know how it panned out.

Comment

You can do it Becky!Good luck, my thoughts will be w/ you...

Comment

Do you have that list made? Let us know if you need help. The list is your key to success, don't forget it!

And GOOD LUCK!!!!
        Blog:
        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Good luck, becky! I hope it is a positive experience for you and your mom.
          Daniel

Comment

Becky, I will be thinking about you and hope that the meeting goes very well. In my own experience sometimes hearing information from "professionals" held a lot more weight than anything I would actually say to my mother. Betheny is right.....make a list so you stay on track, and remember that this is one more hurdle for you, but that you have a history of handling hurdles well!

Comment

The list is made and laminated!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the support

Becky,
              Chicago
              since 1/3/04

Comment

Wow, just read through the history of this, and I gotta say....

I guess if you need some real life wheelchair critters to set her straight in person with no questions about you being lazy, let me know. I kinda think she isnt realizing that this is about you, not her and her need not to have a wheelchair in her view. A little enlightenment that your world does not revolve around her needs (realistic or not) is in order here. The gf (in a wheelchair also) and I are in Chicago, and I'm on vacation this week making me available, and I like to think I'm pretty good at setting people straight.

Comment

Good luck Becky. Believe in yourself. Stick to your convictions. Hope the chips fall your way soon and you can get out on your own and away from that unnecessary stress.
                  Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

good luck. very nice offer from andy. either way it would be nice if ythe three of you got together.

Comment

I'm up for it, Becky. BTW, I'm Andy's girlfriend. I can understand a caring Mother, but she is way overboard. The whole "you're not trying hard enough" makes me cringe everytime I hear it.
                      T-5 incomplete

Comment

Extremely nice offer from Andy and RaeRae. If not this time, perhaps if your mom needs reminding in the future. I think meeting Mister 6 and a Half Foot Big Ol' Biker Man and realizing he couldn't will himself to walk might make her comprehend that what she is asking is beyond your power to deliver.
                        Blog:
                        Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

You can call me Candy. Not hard to forget.. Andy and Candy.
                          T-5 incomplete

Comment

Andy and RaeRae are good people, Becky. Those two are waaaaaay kewl.

This is just an idea. Perhaps this isn't the time for reinforcements in the meeting, but directly afterwards. Even if Andy and RaeRae are not in the meeting (it might be better to skip that so your Mom focuses on what the medical types say and not your CC friends), I bet Andy and RaeRae would meet you and your Mom afterwards. Could be a great way to diffuse, to force your Mom to at least have social manners with you after the meeting.

Also, it would give your Mom a chance to meet other wheelers, specifically other SCIs.

Most importantly, when you leave that meeting you'd have two people physically with you who understand, get it and are totally supportive.

I'm just thinking outloud via keyboard again.

Now that I've just volunteered Andy and RaeRae post-meeting ...

Comment

Andy and Candy, that is very nice I will definately have to take you up on that offer. I think that the same day might be a bit of an overload for my mom. But I loved Betheny's idea about "if she needs reminding in the future". I also am trying to take advice from other posts and try to get through this "on my own", if that makes sense. Sort of like how when you were in third grade and the bully beat you up, you didn't want your parents to go to the principle because you knew that you would get beaten up worse the next time. I know a little drastic example but the idea is still the same. I will definately keep your offer in mind. Thanks so much!!!

Becky,
                              Chicago
                              since 1/3/04

Comment

Working...
                              X