Check Out My Girl....Part II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rickhemi

Sarah is driving more now, on the way to the YMCA yesterday, Sarah asked about getting a car over the summer. I'm not sure I'm ready for this......

Thanks for listening......God is Good, ALL the Time.
    I dont think we are ever "ready" to let them go Rick.... My baby just moved into my dads little trailer that sits directly behind my house. She was ready. Two very head strong women living in the same house becomes complicated. I miss her so much even though she is technically only out in the back yard..LOL She calls me more so i am thinking that the feelings are mutual even though she would really not want to admit it.

She has had a blast decorating and putting together her own "home". As a parent, you learn alot about them when they start doing things on their own. You realize that maybe all that nagging and correcting really did pay off because she really is a good kid with a good head on her shoulder...LOL

Sarah sounds like a true joy to be around....

Good luck with all the trials and tribulations of having a daughter grow up before your eyes.... I feel your pain...LOL
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I'm having difficulties uploading a pic.
      Last edited by rickhemi; 17 Apr 2007, 9:28 AM.
      Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Comment

On the trip to KKI check out the youth sports program. Gerry and Gwena do an amazing job at providing wheelchair basketball, track and field, sled hockey and a number of other programs that Sarah may enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by sledhockeygirl
          On the trip to KKI check out the youth sports program. Gerry and Gwena do an amazing job at providing wheelchair basketball, track and field, sled hockey and a number of other programs that Sarah may enjoy.
          Great, thanks, we'll check it out.
          Rick

Comment

Kki

Hi folks,

We had our evaluations at KKI this past Tuesday and while Sarah didn't want to be there, the wife and I were very encouraged.

OT - not much to report, Sarah still needs to work on being more independent in personal care, but she and mom will be working on this more over the summer. Sarah knows this and isn't wanting any help from outsiders on these issues.

PT - took a full 3 hrs. Checked muscle strength from the toes on up. Went for a long walk (checking distance) and spent a lot of time standing and bending over, reaching here and there, etc. checking all her ranges and such. Final eval very encouraging, 90% of all muscles were level 5 (1-5 scale), and even the bad leg (right) were 4 and 5's.

MD - another 3 hrs. Doc told Sarah "there is no part of you that is paralized, your muscles are working and they are strong, BUT you have strong tone issues". She went on to say that walking independently is very acheivable, if they can get the tone issues resolved. We thought for a long time that Sarah had some drop foot in the right side, Doc says not true, it's tone that is forcing her foot down and has her walking on her toes on that foot. Her left step is heel to toe (correct way), the right is toe to heel. Right leg is an inch shorter than the left. Doc says botox may be the answer, perhaps may need to cast the right foot for a spell to get the proper angle back, then look at some bracing. Doc sems to think if we get the foot right, things should progress nicely. No more foot dragging = no more hip hiking = more fluid steps = better balance = less wheelchair = who knows. WOW!! I wept the whole way home.

While I think Sarah was encouraged, she's still giving us ole rebellious teenager act. It's not often we see this in Sarah, but looking back, it seems to show up whenever she's not 'in control' of her circumstances. But she's smart and I think she'll come around. She absolutely HATES needles and is worried that the cast will cause pain that cannot be easily alleviated (feet are hypersensitive, only area that is still painful). But the casting should take place in order to get the proper fit for bracing.

We go back for 2 weeks in July.
            Last edited by rickhemi; 14 Jun 2007, 2:01 PM.
            Rick

Comment

Yay, Sarah, and good job Mom and Dad!

Rick, I wonder if you all have ever considered checking out the program Bruce went to at the University of Florida? I have no idea if they're taking patients now, but if they are Sarah would be a good candidate.

These people changed the way he walks. He left our house walking slowly with the hip hike and the laufband crutches and came home 10 weeks later using a cane.

http://locomotor.phhp.ufl.edu/contactus.htm

Comment

Rick;

The evaluation is great news. I look forward to more reports when you return in July. I hope all the family is well.

John
                "Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence." Lin Yutang

Comment

Originally posted by rickhemi

She's very much into her studies (10th grade), with an eye towards college. She's takes her grades very seriously and is top of her class. She's takes every AP course the school offers and has found love.......are you ready for this.....it's name is biology. She's fascinated with it and is 99% sure it will be her major. She's visited a fairly local private college, Randolph Macon in Ashland, VA (bout 45 min from home). Her honors chemistry class took a field trip there last fall to sit in on a lecture (though the professor had a last minute scheduling conflict), and so they got a grand tour of the facility, she loved it, very compact. But VERY expensive, so we'll see.

Just replying to this snippet .... keep in mind that there is a lot of merit based financial aid available, both from schools and outside sources. So don;t rule this school out simply based on price. My kids are going (did go and will be going) to more "expensive" schools than I would have planned because of this.
                  T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Originally posted by kate
                    Yay, Sarah, and good job Mom and Dad!

Rick, I wonder if you all have ever considered checking out the program Bruce went to at the University of Florida? I have no idea if they're taking patients now, but if they are Sarah would be a good candidate.

These people changed the way he walks. He left our house walking slowly with the hip hike and the laufband crutches and came home 10 weeks later using a cane.

http://locomotor.phhp.ufl.edu/contactus.htm
                    Kate,

Thanks for the encouragement and for the book, I havn't had time to start reading it yet, but it's on my 'summer' list. Perhaps while at KKI.

As far as U of F, you know we almost went to MP for the summer for a clinical trail (see prev. post), but Sarah has FES issues and so we didn't go.

Yesterday we had a long 'heart to heart' with Sarah about the options. She's agreed to try the casting. So we'll cast her right foot prior to us going to KKI next month, this way they can get a good alignment for her brace. May even make an early appointment to have the casting done AT KKI.

Say Hi to the family from the east cast.
                    Rick

Comment

Originally posted by john smith
                      Rick;

The evaluation is great news. I look forward to more reports when you return in July. I hope all the family is well.

John
                      We're all doing great, just super busy. Hannah (13) and I leave next week for a youth mission trip to Mrytle Beach, SC. It'll be our first. The group will be ministering to three trailer parks (VBS style) while the older folks will be working at a local Habitat for Humanity home. Should be fun. From there we'll scoot up to Wilmington, NC to see my mom and her husband for a few days. We'll meet up with Rosie, Sarah and Jesse there. She lives about 1 mile from Wrightville Beach, good fishing.

Jesse and Hannah both have basketball camps coming up. Sarah's finishing up her drivers ed and has started her guitar lessons. She's also picked up her hours at the YMCA.

You'd think with school being out that things would slow down a bit, but not yet.

I hope things are well at the Smith home, how's Noah doing?
                      Rick

Comment

Originally posted by sjean423
                        Just replying to this snippet .... keep in mind that there is a lot of merit based financial aid available, both from schools and outside sources. So don;t rule this school out simply based on price. My kids are going (did go and will be going) to more "expensive" schools than I would have planned because of this.
                        Funny you should reply to this. Just last Thursday my wife and I attended a seminar on college funding.

You're right, there's lots of aide available. I'm sure she'll be able to go wherever she wants to. Just need to work the system in getting there.
                        Rick

Comment

Great to Read

I am thrilled to know the heart to heart reached an agreement.
                          I have college resources if and when you are ready.
                          Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Update on Sarah

Hi folks!

Seeing how summer has flown by, I thought I'd add a little to Sarah's thread.

We did go back to KKI for 2 weeks of therapy. Great place with great people. Sarah was able to use the estim and the hydrotherapy tank, neat stuff. She was also using a recumbent bike with no estim, they would set the speed at a certain pace and ask Sarah to peddle at a higher speed, which she did on a consistent basis. She practiced walking with 2 canes, but was very unstable, just needs more practice, I think. We had the pleasure of meeting Mom01 from this site and her daughter (who is walking with canes), really nice people.

Since being back home, Sarah has finished her driver training and is now waiting for her DMV driving exam to be scheduled. She drives very well and fluid, very comfortable with the hand controls. We did get her a car, '07 Honda Fit, and she loves it. Got the hand controls transferred from the family van to her new car. Once she has her license, she'll start driving the kids to and from school full time (they go to a private school), which will really be a blessing to Rosie.

School started last Thursday (23rd) and everyones back in the swing of things. Something new this yr is that her 11th grade class is taking a history course at the local community college on Fridays, and she'll get college credits for it, which is nice.

I miss you all and apologize for not posting more, just been too busy.

Later,
                            Rick

Comment

Sorry I missed you when you were in the region. I would have loved to have connected with you as well as Mom01. Did Sarah feel confident and good about walking with canes?

Great to driving and college classes. Makes you wonder where the time went, doesn't it?
                              Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Originally posted by cheesecake
                                Sorry I missed you when you were in the region. I would have loved to have connected with you as well as Mom01. Did Sarah feel confident and good about walking with canes?

Great to driving and college classes. Makes you wonder where the time went, doesn't it?
                                Sorry we missed you as well. Did you get my message I left for you a couple days ago? I'd like to talk more about college resources.

No, Sarah did not have any confidence with the canes and had to be coaxed by another trainer sliding the walker to be within grabbing distance to get her going. She didn't like it and hasn't tried it since.

I wish she had more drive for recovery, but I think that'll change soon with having to do more on her own. I think sometimes that my wife and I enble her to skate by too much and offer her too much assistance. I'm hoping the new car and dreams of college will be cause for more independence. We need more tough love, yet we're too close, if you know what I mean.

Rosie and I were watching the Dog Whisperer the other night and there was a dog that needed to be rehabed after being abused much of his life. The dog was staying at a veterinary's office and all the nurses took care of him. But the dog was still having problems with strangers and becoming more normal and you know why? It was because the nurses kept treating the dog as a wounded victim and it was keeping the dogs frame of mind as responding as such. Once Ceasar started correcting and expecting the dog to act normal and obeidient, thats how the dog acted. The nurses were amazed at the transformation and each had to come to terms with letting his past become just that, the past.

Rosie and I both took that episode to heart. Sarah's not a dog, but there's a lot of simularities that make a lot of sense.
                                Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X