Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mutilation of daughter as disability treatment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by antiquity
    It's not an assumption, what was done to her was published in a medical journal. The gonadodectomy (sp) that Ashley underwent in no way improved or reversed her physical or mental condition, nor was it intended to. It was done for her parents benefit.
    As far as that is concerned it is an unknown due to her current age, even if published in 10 journals

    Comment


      Originally posted by Ads32
      That situation is polls apart but to answer your question, I would protest vehemently. As for not living with paralysis, seeing the toll on my sis and folks is enough. And I'm patronising no-one about the acceptance thing, if you honestly think differently here then I think youre in a minority even in the disability world
      It isn't that far removed. It's exactly the same principle.

      I accept that you live with your own burden of pain in relation to your sister. I'm truly sorry for anyone touched by SCI in any way.

      I also may be in the minority but if you can tell me how I'm not socially acceptable I would be grateful. People may have ignorant reactions to disability in society but does that me 'socially unacceptable'? Depends whether you allow the ignorant minority to define your position in society.

      It's all about perspective.
      C5/6 incomplete

      "I assume you all have guns and crack....."

      Comment


        Originally posted by Ads32
        True and/but although her condition may be rare it could surely never become a fad?
        For more low “standard” surgeries? Surely it could, easily, but those docs should be used to do something important work instead, there are plenty tasks to take on if not fooling around with some crazy parents and mutilating kids.

        Comment


          Ashley is 9. The surgery was done when she was 6. It would have remained unknown had the doctors not published their journal article*. And the fact of her breast buds being removed would have remained unknown had her parents not blogged about it. (This portion of the case study was left out of the journal article.) Obviously they expected a different response than what they received.

          *Attenuating Growth in Children With Profound Developmental Disability
          A New Approach to an Old Dilemma
          Daniel F. Gunther, MD, MA; Douglas S. Diekema, MD, MPH
          Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006;160:1013-1017.
          Ashley is a little girl worth knowing about:http://www.ashleyx.info

          Comment


            Originally posted by RehabRhino
            It isn't that far removed. It's exactly the same principle.

            I accept that you live with your own burden of pain in relation to your sister. I'm truly sorry for anyone touched by SCI in any way.

            I also may be in the minority but if you can tell me how I'm not socially acceptable I would be grateful. People may have ignorant reactions to disability in society but does that me 'socially unacceptable'? Depends whether you allow the ignorant minority to define your position in society.

            It's all about perspective.
            Perceive it as you like


            ''Acceptance, in spirituality, mindfulness, and human psychology, usually refers to the experience of a situation without an intention to change that situation. Acceptance does not require that change is possible or even conceivable, nor does it require that the situation be desired or approved by those accepting it. Indeed, acceptance is often suggested when a situation is both disliked and unchangeable, or when change may be possible only at great cost or risk. Acceptance may imply only a lack of outward, behavioral attempts at possible change, but the word is also used more specifically for a felt or hypothesized cognitive or emotional state. Thus someone may decide to take no action against a situation and yet be said to have not accepted it.''

            Comment


              Originally posted by PDnemesis
              Ashley is 9. The surgery was done when she was 6. It would have remained unknown had the doctors not published their journal article*. And the fact of her breast buds being removed would have remained unknown had her parents not blogged about it. (This portion of the case study was left out of the journal article.) Obviously they expected a different response than what they received.

              *Attenuating Growth in Children With Profound Developmental Disability
              A New Approach to an Old Dilemma
              Daniel F. Gunther, MD, MA; Douglas S. Diekema, MD, MPH
              Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006;160:1013-1017.
              http://archpedi.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...rt/160/10/1013

              Comment


                Originally posted by Ads32
                As far as that is concerned it is an unknown due to her current age, even if published in 10 journals
                Ads, a gonadectomy does not reverse or improve mental retardation. It simply doesn't.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by Ads32
                  Perceive it as you like


                  ''Acceptance, in spirituality, mindfulness, and human psychology, usually refers to the experience of a situation without an intention to change that situation. Acceptance does not require that change is possible or even conceivable, nor does it require that the situation be desired or approved by those accepting it. Indeed, acceptance is often suggested when a situation is both disliked and unchangeable, or when change may be possible only at great cost or risk. Acceptance may imply only a lack of outward, behavioral attempts at possible change, but the word is also used more specifically for a felt or hypothesized cognitive or emotional state. Thus someone may decide to take no action against a situation and yet be said to have not accepted it.''
                  I know what acceptance means. We weren't talking about whether any of us were in blind acceptance of our injuries - although I realise that's your favourite accusation of those you don't patronise.

                  You said disabled people and wheelchairs were not socially acceptable or accepted by society.

                  Now do you want me to look up those slightly (but importantly) different definitions or will you?
                  C5/6 incomplete

                  "I assume you all have guns and crack....."

                  Comment


                    The definition can be applied to both of the instances Rhino, thats why I posted it. Society does not accept your condition FACT. Thanks anyway.

                    Antiquity, you have again missed my point.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Ads32
                      The definition can be applied to both of the instances Rhino, thats why I posted it. Society does not accept your condition FACT. Thanks anyway.

                      Antiquity, you have again missed my point.
                      Jesus. I thought we were getting somewhere.

                      Tell me in what way 'society' - which is a very big thing - does not accept my condition? I have very few problems in society, clients still pay me for my advice, friends treat me the same. Are they not part of society?

                      I accept that parts of society react differently to disability but that's ignorance not non-acceptance.

                      As a cure evangelist I would expect you to be preaching that society is TOO accepting of our disability and that we should be raging against it. All those pesky ramps and widened doorways! We want a cure goddamit.
                      C5/6 incomplete

                      "I assume you all have guns and crack....."

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by PDnemesis
                        In both the social model and the civil rights model the day to day life of a person with a disability is considered most impacted not by the limitations of their body, but by the limitation of a society that has refused to provide the needed accommodations and services required to live a good life within a disabled body. This includes funding for research, medicine, and medical care in addition to ramps, TTYs, and Braille signs.
                        The smartest thing I've read all day. Of course, if we were discussing parking permits everyone would be bitching about how ABs don't understand our needs. Who needs parking permits - dammit, we need a cure!

                        Originally posted by Ads32
                        You act all concerned about the treatment of this child yet in your next breath you diminish the physical impairments of disability as a social problem and non-physical. GUESS WHAT? IT IS A FUCKING PHYSICAL PROBLEM AND THE SOONER WE RID THE WORLD OF AS MANY OF ITS FORMS AS POSSIBLE, THE BETTER.

                        You are disabled - that is neither normal, natural or right. You will never be accepted by mainstream society because a wheelchair is NOT socially acceptable, you will sooner be cured. Get over this bullshit pride you have.
                        As someone who has been a complete quad for almost 25 years, I say this to you with all the sincerity I can muster - GO FUCK YOURSELF!

                        Chris.
                        Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Ads32
                          You are disabled - that is neither normal, natural or right. You will never be accepted by mainstream society because a wheelchair is NOT socially acceptable, you will sooner be cured. Get over this bullshit pride you have. .
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------

                          Since the subject has changed for cute little Ashley plight for survival.
                          To infantile name calling... I don't see a problem in changing the subject once again.

                          Mainstream society..

                          What is mainstream society anyways? Regardless, if you are disabled, over weight, unattractive, religious, different race, Jewish, etc... We are all not accepted one way or another.

                          I have no comment on "Ashley" or her parents.. I only say
                          don't judge I'm sure they are doing the best that they can
                          for their little daughter.

                          Comment


                            Reading this after a long day on campus has me wondering, wtf?

                            If those doctors had performed the same surgeries, given the same drugs to an ab child, Nancy Grace, Fox, Oprah, CNN, ABC, Lou Dobbs (takijng a break from his immigration stories), CBS, NBC, CNBC, NPR would be on the frontlawns of the hospital, the doctors' homes and the parents' home with cameras rolling and full-on satellite capabilities before sundown the day word of this hit.

                            I'm disappointed I didn't get it at first.

                            How can anyone reading the entire thread and thinking about this still support what was done to Ashley? To the other Ashleys yet to come?

                            How?

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Shannon


                              Maybe I missed something, but why have the parents choosen to make this public? Are they hoping to encourage other parents in similar situations to do the same?
                              I was wondering that as well.



                              ...............guess i should have continued on before quoting here
                              Last edited by sjean423; 16 Jan 2007, 9:43 PM.
                              T7-8 since Feb 2005

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Shannon


                                Maybe I missed something, but why have the parents choosen to make this public? Are they hoping to encourage other parents in similar situations to do the same?
                                Yes they, along with the "team" involved, would like it to become a standard of treatment.

                                This could have been done to me, you and a miriad of other little girls with sci, sb, cp etc. And as you know, when it comes to "treatment standards" for disabled children, our humanity and opinions are rarely respected or considered.
                                Last edited by antiquity; 16 Jan 2007, 9:59 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X