Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mutilation of daughter as disability treatment

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by antiquity
    It's interesting that the people who are the most opposed to the Ashley Treatment (myself, lynnifer, Cspanos) are the few members here who acquired their injuries as children and so have experienced life as a disabled child and one person who actually has a disabled child.

    Everyone else seems to be viewing the disabled child in this equation as a non entity, as a thing without human rights or at least who's rights are secondary to those of others. This is fairly typical and unfortunately, quite common.
    What are you talking about?

    Comment


      Originally posted by betheny
      I don't see 3 month olds as autonomous beings. To me they are somebody's baby. That's why they're so much trouble to raise, I guess-they're trying to get past being someone's child.
      As has been discussed above Ashley has already been traumatised by blood. This is completely inconsistent with a 3-month-old baby. That's not to say I think Ashley has significant higher reasoning skills, but it's another inconsistency nonetheless.

      I think Antiquity may be on to something. I think those of us injured as children have a different perspective, although others like Chick, Scorpion, Leif and RehabRhino reached similar conclusions too. I'll try and write more on this tomorrow.

      It seems to me there's an unwritten pecking order. Children, by definition, have fewer rights than adults. Disabled children struggle even greater to be heard. Add a significant cognitive impairment into the mix and sometimes people forget you're human entirely.

      Looking at the parents' website once more, they proclaim "Ashley’s biggest challenges are discomfort and boredom; all other considerations in this discussion take a back seat to these central challenges". I fail to see how they did anything to mitigate these issues.

      How did keeping Ashley a foot shorter than she otherwise would have been increase her comfort? All it did is make it easier to care for her. Yes, this is a benefit, but one to Ashley's parents - not her. Rather than augmenting her body, her parents should have investment more time into exploring PCA services and assistive-equipment like hoists.

      I'm also disturbed by their constant references to "pillow angels" - to me, they almost dehumanise her. These are not pillow angels, they are human girls and boys.

      As a litmus-test, I told my parents about Ashley. At the age of 7 they became my sole carers and to this day provide the bulk of my care. My sister and I are their lives. Neither parent has been to university, and my mother only has a primary school education. To say they were horrified by the Ashley treatment is an understatement - and they pretty much cared for an Ashley that grew to 5'9" and at one point weighed 260 lbs. A hoist is all it took...

      Chris.
      Have you ever seen a human heart? It looks like a fist wrapped in blood! Larry in 'Closer', a play by Partick Marber

      Comment


        Kate, good people sometimes do horrendous things. People we consider the worst monsters of history have had people who loved and respected them.

        Doctors see a disabled body and wonder how they can fix it? That is the primary basis for what is called the medical model of disability. Disability is an aberration to be eliminated. The idea of the medical model is slowy loosing a stranglehold over the lives of people with disabilities. What replaces it is other models- the social model and the civil rights model to name two.

        In both the social model and the civil rights model the day to day life of a person with a disability is considered most impacted not by the limitations of their body, but by the limitation of a society that has refused to provide the needed accommodations and services required to live a good life within a disabled body. This includes funding for research, medicine, and medical care in addition to ramps, TTYs, and Braille signs.
        Ashley is a little girl worth knowing about:http://www.ashleyx.info

        Comment


          Originally posted by PDnemesis

          Doctors see a disabled body and wonder how they can fix it? That is the primary basis for what is called the medical model of disability. Disability is an aberration to be eliminated.
          Not my experience with this particular doctor, at least as I saw him with one particular patient.

          Comment


            My disability is an aberration I wish to see eliminated. I'm okay with that LOL. Given the choice I'd rather have my body back than all the accomodations in the world. So far I haven't been given the choice tho, so I like my nice wheelchair.
            Blog:
            Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

            Comment


              Originally posted by betheny
              My disability is an aberration I wish to see eliminated. I'm okay with that LOL. Given the choice I'd rather have my body back than all the accomodations in the world. So far I haven't been given the choice tho, so I like my nice wheelchair.
              Precisely,

              To the thread starter -Perhaps you feel your disability is your nemesis but I don't beleive that for the rest of the population. You act all concerned about the treatment of this child yet in your next breath you diminish the physical impairments of disability as a social problem and non-physical. GUESS WHAT? IT IS A FUCKING PHYSICAL PROBLEM AND THE SOONER WE RID THE WORLD OF AS MANY OF ITS FORMS AS POSSIBLE, THE BETTER.

              You are disabled - that is neither normal, natural or right. You will never be accepted by mainstream society because a wheelchair is NOT socially acceptable, you will sooner be cured. Get over this bullshit pride you have. If I were Wise id chase you the hell off my site as youre a slap in the face to his work.

              Keep your nose out of these peoples decisions and wise up.

              Comment


                ....

                Comment


                  [QUOTE=Ads32]

                  Keep your nose out of these peoples decisions and wise up.[/QUOTE

                  If parents did this to an AB kid, do you think people should keep their noses out of the parent's decisions?

                  Comment


                    My disability is not my nemesis- it is a poster PD who I acquiesed to in July when I signed up here.

                    If you read the post I wrote, it did not say ignore medical intervention. People with disabilities should receive the best medical care research can discover. But in the mean time they need support services and accommodations to live as full a life as possible.

                    Some people don't stop living their life waiting for a cure - a cure may never come or not come in their lifetime. So they work toward short-term goals that making living life a person with a disability as best as it can be.

                    The treatment Ashley received may appear on the surface to meet a goal of keeping Ashley safe at home with her family - but everything done to her had a less invasive way to accomplish the same thing with far fewer risks to her health. Ashley has already lived past her life expectancy, perhaps that is why she was considered for a risky medical experiment.
                    Ashley is a little girl worth knowing about:http://www.ashleyx.info

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by betheny
                      My disability is an aberration I wish to see eliminated. I'm okay with that LOL. Given the choice I'd rather have my body back than all the accomodations in the world. So far I haven't been given the choice tho, so I like my nice wheelchair.
                      Yet Ashley's disability is one that has no hope of getting better, much less eliminated, so let the parents and doctors chemically stunt her growth, surgically get rid of her uterus and breast buds, and whatever else can be done to make it easier for her parents to "care" for her. Hey, why not lop off her clit while they're at it? She doesn't need it, right? Besides, God forbid she might one day find pleasure in one of the few female parts she's got left, even simply masturbating (yes, even 3 month-olds masturbate ::gasp:: ) We can't have those retards masturbating, can we? It might harm their minds or emotional states. And you know, she's a "pillow angel" not walking or anything. Why not amputate her limbs? She doesn't need them, and lifting her will be oh-so-much easier for her folks; it'll eliminate that pesky masturbation thing as well.

                      Betheny (and Ads and others who agree with her), do you realize how myopic and ego-centric (read: SCI-centric) your views on disability sound with posts like you've made in this thread? Oh well, at least you're not alone in your self-absorbed way of thinking.

                      By the way, I unsubscribed from the U2FP email newsletter last night, because of my disgust for you, Betheny. I know I'm not the only one to do so. I'll find other ways to support SCI research where the "advocates" don't dismiss the rights and needs of other disabilities as less important than SCI.

                      Andy - Terry Schivo was brain-dead. Ashley is not (unless you consider a 3 month-old brain-dead). No comparison there.

                      All - I wish I had more time to post. I really hope that people can see the hypocrisy, the flip-flopping, the narrow mindedness and weak-mindedness of a lot of CC members posting in this thread. And just because I disagree with you doesn't mean you fit into the aforementioned descriptors; but if the shoe fits...

                      Ugh.
                      Last edited by Scorpion; 16 Jan 2007, 2:34 PM.

                      Comment


                        [quote=Shannon]
                        Originally posted by Ads32

                        Keep your nose out of these peoples decisions and wise up.[/QUOTE

                        If parents did this to an AB kid, do you think people should keep their noses out of the parent's decisions?
                        Uhhm why is this a relevant comparison? The parents did this for medical reasoning or what they were advised to be medical reasoning. An 'AB kid' does not fall into this category.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by PDnemesis
                          My disability is not my nemesis- it is a poster PD who I acquiesed to in July when I signed up here.

                          If you read the post I wrote, it did not say ignore medical intervention. People with disabilities should receive the best medical care research can discover. But in the mean time they need support services and accommodations to live as full a life as possible.

                          Some people don't stop living their life waiting for a cure - a cure may never come or not come in their lifetime. So they work toward short-term goals that making living life a person with a disability as best as it can be.

                          The treatment Ashley received may appear on the surface to meet a goal of keeping Ashley safe at home with her family - but everything done to her had a less invasive way to accomplish the same thing with far fewer risks to her health. Ashley has already lived past her life expectancy, perhaps that is why she was considered for a risky medical experiment.
                          My issue with your posts is how offended people with your mindset are when someone/group highlights that disability IS a problem and IS NOT acceptable. And who said anything about not living your life til help arrives? Jees, its not so hard to do both. I also think its selfish for the old 'well a cure won't benefit me' bullshit to appear time and time over. Its like the polar caps are unlikely to melt to oblivion in our liifetimes, does that mean we shouldn't give a shit about the environment? Turning your backs on the new injured/yet to be injured by letting your pride get in the way of the attitude to cure is worse than shitting on the environment anyways. So selfish.

                          And the above is to anyone who thinks like you too.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Ads32
                            You will never be accepted by mainstream society because a wheelchair is NOT socially acceptable.
                            We get that you want a cure for your sister, we really do.

                            I hate my own disability and wheelchair and also want a cure but I don't need to be told that I, as I currently sit, will never be accepted by mainstream society. I already have - because I'm not a fucking wheelchair.

                            Do you let your sister out? Do you apologise for her or is she confined to base until a cure relieves her of the weight of society's gaze?
                            C5/6 incomplete

                            "I assume you all have guns and crack....."

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by RehabRhino
                              We get that you want a cure for your sister, we really do.

                              I hate my own disability and wheelchair and also want a cure but I don't need to be told that I, as I currently sit, will never be accepted by mainstream society. I already have - because I'm not a fucking wheelchair.

                              Do you let your sister out? Do you apologise for her or is she confined to base until a cure relieves her of the weight of society's gaze?
                              Quit hanging on my every word Rhino, you are like a shadow.

                              I am sorry to break it to you but wheelchairs and disabilities will never be accepted. I'm not saying its right. I'm just saying its true, lie to yourself all you like. As for my sister she is an independent young thing who could care less about the dick in the street yet just wants to get back to how she was. I'll send her your best.

                              Comment


                                [QUOTE=Ads32]
                                Originally posted by Shannon

                                Uhhm why is this a relevant comparison? The parents did this for medical reasoning or what they were advised to be medical reasoning. An 'AB kid' does not fall into this category.

                                I was just curious. You said people should mind their own business regarding this issue, and I was wondering if you thought people should mind their own business regarding all issues with all children, or do you just mean medical issues with disabled children?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X