Quad accessible crib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Alissa,
    No I didn't try any herbs. I didn't know of any at the time (1994 &1999). Although I would have tried them had I known.
    I really didn't know what the problem was. I had milk...had to wear pads in my bra as I leaked a lot but for some reason my babies never gained weight. I would feed them every 2-3 hours and even tried pumping inbetween.
    It was like the volume was there but not the thickness or fat in the milk. I assume that is what the 'let-down' is?? My pediatrition seem to think it was hereditary. she was not an expert on SCi and since I did have a lot of volume she seemed to think that my injury had nothing to do with it.
    If I had it to do all over, i'd comb the internet (which i didn't have then either), call my SCI Dr, and try every herb I'd heard of! I'm also interested in the oxytocin nasal spray that Emi mentioned. I ended up breastfeeding along with formula supplementation until they were 6 months old (I just wouldn't give up!!)
    I do hope it works for you and I believe that there must be some resources out there that adresses this. And perhaps, hopefully, you won't have any problems at all!
    Shannon
    C6/7 incomplete
    20 yrs post sci

"falling is easy it's getting back up that becomes the problem, becomes the problem" Staind
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the word you first thought of.:" :-)
    - Burt Bacharach

Comment

I breastfed up until he was about 4 months. I did have problems with production with the pump (some people have problems with letdown with the pump), and my right breast produced less than my left. It did depend on the amount of sleep, stress, and other factors on how much I produced. I apparently produced enough because my son gained enough weight, but he would feed every 2 to 3 hours for about 30-45 minutes each feeding.
      I returned to work full time after 6 weeks since his birth, and I wasn't able to pump as often so that also reduced my milk production. At that point we supplemented formula and breastmilk. My son develop colic and we had to stop breastfeeding/milk altogether and switch to soy formula for 2 weeks. At that time, I made the decision to stop breastfeeding altogether. Our pediatrician said it was fine to do so by that time.
      When Caiden was born, he did recieve some formula at the hospital because he was having problems latching on. So, we had to use a syringe and finger stimulation to feed him formula to get him used to latching and sucking. But that did not pose a problem later with him taking breastmilk.

One thing that did help increase my milk production was oatmeal. I know that sounds crazy, but eating that stuff really worked! I didn't take any of those other supplements because I just wasn't confortable with it.

Comment

Scaligirl reminded me of this recipe posted on a parenting site

Housepoet's Famous Lactation Boosting Oatmeal, Chocolate Chip & Flaxseed cookies (created by Noel Pickett noel @ clubmuse.com)
        Ingredients :

* 1 cup butter or marg
        * 1 cup sugar
        * 1 cup brown sugar
        * 4 tablespoons water
        * 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal*
        * 2 large eggs
        * 1 teaspoon vanilla
        * 2 cups flour
        * 1 teaspoon baking soda
        * 1 teaspoon salt
        * 3 cups oats, thick cut if you can get them
        * 1 cup or more chocolate chips
        * 2 tablespoons of brewers yeast* (be generous)

Directions:

Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Mix together 2 tablespoons of flaxseed meal and water, set aside for 3-5 minutes. Cream (beat well) margarine and sugar. Add eggs one at a time, mix well. Stir flaxseed mixture and add with vanilla to the margarine mix. Beat until blended. Sift together dry ingredients, except oats and chips. Add to margarine mixture. Stir in oats then chips. Scoop or drop onto baking sheet, preferably lined with parchment or silpat. The dough is a little crumbly, so it helps to use a scoop.

Bake 8-12 minutes, depending on size of cookies.

Serves: 6 dozen cookies

Preparation time: 15 minutes

*can be found at any local health food store

I hope breastfeeding works out for you. It really is the best choice! And next time I WILL be sucessful I hope.
        Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice & support. It is so important to me to have some positive feedback.

Peace
          "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by alissa
            I have already atarted attending la leche league meetings here. I am also surrounded by young mothers who breastfeed for 2-3 years, so I'm in a really supportive environment.

Peace
            This should really help ...... good luck with everything. (I actually started to post a suggestion about LLL, but then reread the thread. LOL!)
            T7-8 since Feb 2005

Comment

Colic

If the colic is quite extreme I have heard that gripe water can be quite beneficial. At least it should take care of the worst of the symptoms.

Comment

Breastfeeding

Just a quick update -
                After a sketchy start (due to a 2 day epidural which made the baby EXTREMELY sleepy) where we were forced to suppliment with formula & fingerfeed, we are now exclusively breastfeeding at 10 weeks (and have been for 8).

To be certain that my supply is good (no reason to think it's not, just being cautious), I take 9-10 fenugreek a day, eat lots of oatmeal & drink mothers milk tea. My milk is plentiful & baby is growing well.

As soon as I get pics of the incredible accessible crib hubby built, I will post more.

ps - I can change diapers if I have to! yeah!

Comment

Glad things are going well for you and the baby!
                  www.cawvsports.org
                  The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
                  We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

Comment

Congrats.

I am glad all is going so well!!
                    L1,2 Para since 9-12-99
                    ~*~*~Priscilla~*~*~
                    Mommy to William (2004) Lucas (2008) Nathan (2011)
                    The Wheelchair Mommy Blog

Comment

Another update...

Due to all the new pregnancy questions, I thought I'd update here:

Zienna is 6 months old, and a wonderful little person. We are still breastfeeding but have started introducing fruits & veggies. I no longer use fenugreek, still eat oatmeal, and no supply issues. I think breastfeeding is so much easier than having to prepare bottles - especially at night.

I have help most of the time, but participate always, and can be alone with her for periods of time.
                      The boppy is a godsend, & the snuggli is a perfect carrier.

Here are some pics of the crib/changing area

Comment

SO Encouraging!

Thanks SO much for the update & pics. I love the crib concept & plan to duplicate something very similar. Luckily my husband is very handy & innovative. I am new to this site & stumbled upon it researching accessible cribs.

I am 21 weeks pregnant & researching EVERYTHING I can find. So far pregnancy has been great & I have not experienced any complications. We are due in July & having a BOY! I am on cloud nine!!!

Your posts have offered me a great deal of insight & encouragement....Thanks again. One quick question......how much weight did you gain & has it been difficult to get off? I might be sending your further questions if that is ok.

Paige

Comment

Congratulations on your beautiful bub alissa, and thanks so much for posting your experience and those crib pics. I'm a para and no where near ready for kids yet, but its nice to know things can go so well!

love and light
                          marayke
                          "The impossible is just that which hasn't been done yet.Impossible is nothing"

Comment

Working...
                          X