How do you hold your baby?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you hold your baby?

A friend of mine teaches baby massage. She started because she had a Down Syndrome baby. It helped him so now she teaches people everywhere. She asked me how someone might do it in a wheelchair. Normally she teaches people to put the baby on the floor. Then get down there with them. She wondered what we chair users would do? I figured I'd ask the ladies here, especially any quads. Thank you.

Women who use chairs that I know and have children usually have a changing table set up that is wheelchair accessible... sometimes just a card table that had been elevated to wheelchair height, or a wheelchair accessible side opening crib which I would imagine could work for baby massage.

As far as riding in the wheelchair with the baby, many use a baby sling or harness that holds the baby across their chest leaving their arms free to push or drive the chair. With toddlers you can easily put a belt around yourself and the baby with the baby sitting on your lap facing forward. I have seen some use the same type of neoprene belt that a lot of quad rugby players use when playing in their wheelchair.

I am going to move this to the Family forum as it may be just as relevant for dads as for moms.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
    X