Need advice re adult daughter T9 complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smashms
    is she withdrawn? any depression symptoms? does she do anything outside the home for fun? if not it sounds like she may be depressed possibly, maybe trying to get her a counselor to talk to may help.
    I think it's pretty clear that these are depression symptoms. I agree, a counselor, psychologist, or a psychiatrist (fo meds for depression) is in order.

Visiting/reading CC might be a helpful start, though. Hopefully she can be convinced to get help. :/

Comment

I am very grateful in finding this site. It has educated me many times in realizing that my problems are not strictly mine and, that others have been faced with these same problems. No question that this is a form of depression, even leaning toward mental illness. Seek professional help for sure.
      I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Comment

AZ Mom, I'm really sorry that you, your daughter and your family are dealing with this situation. As others here have said, this has all of the hallmarks of severe depression. None of us is qualified to diagnose/treat your daughter, which is why she needs to be seen by a professional like a licensed clinical social worker, psychologist, and/or psychiatrist. If depression is what is going on, and your daughter wants to participate in appropriate treatment, then there is a lot of hope to resolve this problem.

I can relate in some ways to what you are going through. I have a younger brother who is depressed and addicted to marijuana and alcohol. His room looks like something out of the show Hoarders. There are dirty clothes everywhere, empty beer bottles and beer boxes stacked to the ceiling. The worst part is that he leaves rotting food out on plates and in fast food containers. We have had a bug infestation before because of the lack of cleanliness. When I go within fifteen feet of the door, it smells terrible and I want to gag.

My brother is completely able bodied, mid 20s and completes a part time job every night. Even though he is depressed, I feel there is no excuse for him to live in these conditions, create a fire hazard in our home, and bring vermin in. I have asked him to clean before, but can't enforce it. It is my parent's home and they have a totally lax attitude about it. They think it is gross, but want to be friends with my brother and not parents. It is really sad.

If you are dealing with an adult, and they are living in your home, you have to decide which way to handle the situation. If they are not responding to being asked nicely, then perhaps you could mandate mental health treatment or else they need to move out (if they are physically capable of living on their own)? That might seem harsh, but some people are so depressed or unmotivated that they will not get help unless pushed to do so by an ultimatum. This is not the best way for every family, and you will know the best plan for you, but my parent's attitude of do whatever you want and sit around in a mountain of garbage until your depression magically goes away, doesn't seem to be a good plan either.
        In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Comment

I see a spammer must have brought up this old post .. I wonder how she is fairing today?
          Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

I still have to clean myself and worry about toilets after 10 years. I also have a tough mental health problem because of this disease. People need to understand how not good this type of injury is. I look normal and can walk and do all my own care.
            The mental side is worse than the pain sometimes.
            This is the best place for advice if you have questions.
            The people on here can relate. I sure can
            There are always answers.
            Try and get her a pet or something that she can get comfort from that seems to help a lot. For me anyways.

Comment

The OP joined and posted the above all on one day in 2013, and has not returned to our forums since then.

(KLD)
              The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Working...
              X