SCI and Divorce..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nauticalmike View Post
    In california you have to get rectified to drive if you have an sci.
    Not sure what rectified is, but you do not have to be re-licensed to drive with hand controls in CA. If you have had a seizure, then you do have to be certified as seizure free before you can drive again, but that is not something applicable to the discussion of driving with hand controls.

Some people choose to get re-licensed in CA, or to take another driver's test at the DMV once they are driving with hand controls, but it is not required.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Try to find a divorce attorney that uses a wheelchair.

Comment

Originally posted by nauticalmike View Post
        In california you have to get rectified to drive if you have an sci.
        Dammit, don't tell me the gays have taken over the dmv!
        "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
          Not sure what rectified is, but you do not have to be re-licensed to drive with hand controls in CA. If you have had a seizure, then you do have to be certified as seizure free before you can drive again, but that is not something applicable to the discussion of driving with hand controls.

Some people choose to get re-licensed in CA, or to take another driver's test at the DMV once they are driving with hand controls, but it is not required.

(KLD)
          That was supposed to be re-certified, damn spell corrector. And because of my paraplegia when my doctor learned that I was driving he did some consulting with other doctors and he reported me to the DMV and having partial paraplegia in my legs that might affect my ability to operate a motor vehicle. Or something to that effect. Then DMV sent me an appointment time that I had to go to and meet with their disability person. She then required me to take an on road driving test. If I missed the appointment of failed to do the on road test they would have suspended my license. I don't use hand controls though, so I have no reason to doubt that you are correct. Also based on my prior experience with the california penal codes I have no reason to question what you say. It is probable that unless A doctor feels that a patients driving could potentially endanger public safety then DMV would never even question it. Itt would make more sense to road test anyone applying for a disabled placard in my opinion, but maybe that's just me.

Comment

Sounds like your Dr. Reported you under the unsafe driver law. They started here in MO. Anyone can report you as unsafe, and you have to get Dr. To sign off on your safety. We think it was a DMV clerk who reported my wife a couple of years ago. This can happen at any time. This was the 2nd time for my wife who has CP. I contacted the director of the Dept. in charge, explained that her condition was not progressive, she had provided documentation previously and asked that that cover her in this case. Director agreed and flagged her file so any future unsafe reports would be caught before hassling us. Here's a link to the reporting info. http://dor.mo.gov/forms/4319A.pdf

Comment

Sorry to hear about your situation. Your injury is lower than mine. If I can I'm sure you can. I am a t3 complete and have been babysitting my adopted nephew since he was 2 week old. Basically, I have to get up @4 every day, leave the house by 6 and get to my brother's house by 7. I usually don't leave until after dinner. My brother works long hrs so he doesn't get home until 8 or 9, which means I get home around 10 or 11. My nephew is now 4 month old,and he is healthy and strong as a bull. I say screw those who think SCI can not take care of a child. I believe I'm a better parent than most parents with 100% functionality.
              Best of luck.
              TN
              T3 Complete
              to my alarm: "quiet b*tch! I know what I have to do every two hr. Argggggg!!!!"

sigpic

Comment

i'm SCI fortunately not divorced (was not legal here till last year) but it has been Rocky.
                As women are socially seen as natural Mum.s most probably on an equal par it will be very likely that they who custody irrelavant of the SCI condition . On another note i can easily look at an sci woman, forget all about the Chair and say wow and probably miss a heart beat.
                Alas i put men in a different category.

Comment

Working...
                X